“Excellent Location”
Review of Grand Hotel Royal

Grand Hotel Royal
Ranked #20 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We only booked this hotel on the reviews on Tripadvisor. As we wanted to go half-board we really wanted to make sure the hotel we chose was renowned for providing exellent food. We weren't disappointed. There was suffiicient choice to suit all tastes. One evening I asked for something completely different that was not on the menu (it was ony because I was so full from lunctime and wanted something light in the evening) and without any hesitation was told that wouldn't be a problem.
Before we travelled we did read about having a seaview room and did try to upgrade. Unfortunately there were none available. When we arrived and saw the seaview rooms didn't appear to have any sun on their balconies during the day, we were rather pleased we didn't upgrade. The views from the pool, restaurant and garden areas are truly amazing and personally you're spending more time in these areas then in your room. .Admittedly the rooms were not huge, but adequate for what we needed and comfortable.
It's just a short stroll into the centre which we personally think is much needed due to the wonderful food that is consumed throughout the stay at the hotel.
The hotel is also conveniently situated 5 mins walk from the train station which takes you to Pompeii or Herculaneum.
We fell we chose very well for our first trip to Sorrento and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience of our visit.

Room Tip: If you can ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jackie H
Tonino M, Direttore at Grand Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Guests,
We thank you for the precious time you have spent on commenting your stay at the “Royal”. It is true, our location is great, right in the centre of the town but in the meantime really quiet and the guests staying at the "Royal" can relax by the pool, at the hotel beach, in the magnificent garden and feel truly at home, sipping an aperitif at our elegant bar or enjoying a romantic "a la carte dinner" at our terrace with its stunning view.
We can say that our service, facilities and our location is consistent trying to improve and please our guest as best as possible, from our housekeeping to the front desk, concierge and restaurant staff, we go that extra mile to satisfy our guest and making them truly feel like they are at home.
The Staff and me we are very proud about your kind words, a strong message to enforce our will to do always better and offer the guests a truly unique experience out of the time.
We really hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!
Yours Sincerely
Reservations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,664)

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We splurged and upgraded to an ocean view room and we were not disappointed. The unobstructed view from our second floor room was tremendous; we could see the hotel grounds below, across to Naples and both ways along the Sorrento coast. We frequently admired the view, even taking a nap with the balcony door open (a little noisy but nice nonetheless). All of the staff was friendly. The rooms are not that large but are well appointed. Our half-board rate included breakfast and dinner and we enjoyed both. The breakfast selections were substantial and included an egg/omelette bar. Dinner selections were plentiful and the food was well prepared (starter, main and dessert offered with the half-board; drinks are extra). The grounds are lovely, and there is a private sunbathing platform at water level, and a nice pool near the main hotel. The hotel is a very short walk from the main shopping streets and near the train and bus stations.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Tonino M, Direttore at Grand Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Guests,
It has been a pleasure to read your beautiful comment on Tripadvisor and we are so happy to know that you have enjoyed the room, the amazing view and all our services.
All the members of the staff are so thankful to have mentioned their attitude towards you during your stay.
Receiving these reviews we can say that our service, facilities and our location is consistent trying to improve and please our guest as best as possible, from our Housekeeping staff to the Front Desk, Restaurant and Bar, we go that extra smile to satisfy our guest and making them truly feel like they are at home.
We would like to thank you for having been our most welcome guests and looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future, we remain at your complete disposal for any further information or assistance you might need.
With our kindest regards

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here in June 2014, which was our 3rd stay at the Royal and, as always, a great experience.

We used this hotel as our base for our guests and our honeymoon in June 2013 after getting married in Positano. We had already stayed here previously and after viewing many hotels in Sorrento found this as the best value for having the pool, veranda, decked beach and gardens. The rooms and communal areas inside are also very good.

It was great to see so many familiar faces at the hotel on reception and in the breakfast room, with the staff also remembering us making our stay that much more personal. The breakfast serving is the best we have experienced in Sorrento (having stayed in 4 other hotels) and the freshly made omelettes are a must! Not being a fan of eating evening meals in hotels (we like exploring different places each night) we used the restaurant for the first time and would definitely eat there again and recommend it.

The rooms (we have had sea view and town view) are lovely and fresh. The views from the sea view (floor 6) are breath taking and certainly worth the extra money.

We are already planning our next return visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TouristRich

Dear Guests,
We thank you for being our loyal customers and for your recommendation towards other future guests.
Indeed it is very easy to love our hotel for all the services offered and the outstanding beauty of the place.
We have appreciated all your positive comments about the location of the hotel, the friendly staff, the great food and thank you for writing “ To sum up great location and great hotel”.
We just have to thank you with all our heart and waiting to have the pleasure to have you back soon at the “Royal”, we remain

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Lovely hotel but not 4 star. I had the misfortune to have to engage with the manager on duty on Sunday 29 June named Giuseppe. I have never been so badly treated in my life. I travel a lot and can safely say this was my worst experience. I have come to Sorrento for my niece's wedding tomorrow and waned a central hotel location. I live in Qatar and had read such good reviews but what a shame about the staff. Hotel is pleasant enough but the room I was given on floor 2 was likened to a box style room with a single bed never in all my 30 years of business/pleasure travel have I seen this cost of which is 150 euros per night. When I refused the room Giuseppe got irate and very abusive, so much so my niece who is the bride to be and is a lawyer advised him to behave or she would call the police. What an awful experience it has been and has marred my impression of this beautiful part of the world. This hotel is part of the maniello group and I intend to make a formal complaint to them. He eventually changed the room to a more suitable one but because of my horrible experience I cannot give a good review to this hotel. I overnighted in Rome in the Radisson Blu hotel and my experience there was absolutely wonderful the staff were so good if only this hotel was operated by them it could be so good .

Room Tip: Always ask for solo travelers room pictures when coming to this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
10  Thank jo_okane

Unbelievable, astonishing review! In the afternoon of June the 29th hearing turmoil in the lobby, I asked the employee of the reception on duty what was going on. There was a customer screaming and being unpleasant to the other hotel guests. I told to the colleagues to let her come into the office. The lady came in with an arrogant and touchy attitude stating that the received room was not what she had booked (single room) because it was small and did not have the double bed. I tried to calm her down but without success. I showed her the reservation documents on wich was clearly written: "Single room with a single bed" (even offered at a discounted price); it is our rule to be very precise in the offers we send to the customers.
However, since the aggressive attitude of the customer, and our availability to customers under any circumstances, I added that despite the room received was as had been booked, I would have tried, if possible, to find a different solution even though we were full. I asked the customer to wait a few minutes because I had to check if any of the arrivals of that day had not yet arrived to try to find a double room available and that, even if there would be an extra charge to be paid, I would not have applied it. The guest, always with a rude attitude, to say the least, got up and walked out of the office. Fortunately, changing the allocation of rooms to customers not yet arrived and to others for the following days (logically without damaging the bookings of the other customers), I managed to pull out a double room. Since, in that moment, the lady was disappeared, I told to the colleagues to let her change her room when she would return; this happened after a while. If having pointed out to the customer that the room received was as booked (single bed) means to be irate and abusive! I and any of the staff are used to spoke always with a calm tone, the only screaming person was the customer! I believe that the customer annoyed by the fact she was wrong and not wanting to admit it, after what she had done, she now claims to have been treated badly. Such an unpleasant episode! I couldn’t even have the pleasure to talk with her relatives as they were not guests of our hotel. As a thanksgiving for having given a free upgrade, we have received this review! it is absolutely not consistent with reality! If there was the possibility for the hotel to evaluate their customers, considered her behavior, It would be the proper score to be assigned to her.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The hotel was spotless and well located. The bedroom was spacious and the bed massive although the air conditioning unit was quite noisy. Never had a problem getting a sunlounger either by the pool or on the jetty. We did not eat at the hotel in the evening but was lovely to have a drink on the terrace before heading out. The breakfast was lovely and had a really good choice. Recommend a sea view. The drinks around the pool are pricey - 9 euros for two cans of coke! Note there are no ironing boards (not even from reception).

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrsbenn
Tonino M, Direttore at Grand Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guests,
We thank you so much for you very kind comment on your stay with us.
We are pleased to know that you have appreciated the hotel and the lovely breakfast.
We do not understand why you don’t advised us about the noisy of the air conditioning in your room. For security reasons we haven’t ironing boards in the rooms but, of course, we have a laundry department.
We really hope to have soon the chance to welcome you again at the Hotel Royal.
We remain at your disposal for any further information and request

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We are a returning customer to this hotel over many years. Located within walking distance of the town centre but quietly located on the sea front this hotel has the best gardens and pool area of Sorrento hotels. The outside eating areas are superb with the best views, the hotel is medium size so never too busy until July onwards. There is a lovely classical feel to the hotel and has great traditions. Improvements to the hotel have been steady over the last 15 years and really could be six star. Food is always very good catering at all levels. The beach area as they call it is now bigger and is great to alternate between beach and pool. To sum up great location and great hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sasha012

Dear Guests,
We have read your beautiful comment about your stay at the hotel and we thank you for your words of appreciation towards us.
Sorrento is one of the most famous holiday destinations in Italy and the “Royal” is one of the most renowed hotels in the center of the city. The private beach, the centuries-old garden, the terrace with its amazing view, the food expertly cooked and well served in our magnificent restaurants, the staff professional and friendly; all these aspects render our hotel unique and exclusive.
Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you next time, we remain at your complete disposal for any further information or assistance you might need.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Booked for 4 nights,enjoyed the hotel so much we stayed an extra 3 nights.Should be classed as a 5 star hotel.everything was perfect will definitely stay again. Sorrento town is a lovely place to walk around and explore.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tonino M, Direttore at Grand Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your review about our Hotel on Tripadvisor. We have appreciated it.
Every guest's reviews help us in our efforts to always provide total guest satisfaction. I was glad to read you enjoyed your stay and that you stayed three nights more; I will pass along your compliments to our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your kind remarks.
We'll be most glad to have you with us again next time you will come to Sorrento.
Yours sincerely,