“One of Sorrento's finest hotels”
Review of Grand Hotel Royal

Grand Hotel Royal
Ranked #21 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Dublin
“One of Sorrento's finest hotels”
Reviewed 17 June 2009

Looking for a fun lively time, forget this place. Want to sleep well, eat well ,relax, swim ,sit and enjoy the fabulous views of the bay of Naples,be pampered by the staff then this is the place to go. Spent 5 nights there at the start of June and it was just brilliant. The staff from the house keeping, receptionists, waiting staff,the lady chef with the big smile in the morning at breakfast to the night porter were all extremley friendly.Used the hotel as a base to visit Positano, Capri. Hotel in a great position in the town just down from the railway station, close to the port. Going for breakfast is a treat, entering the fabulous breakfast room is like entering a into a party in an old english house where one is announced as you come in(except you are not in this case) but it has that feeling at you stand at the top of the steps, pause looking for an empty table and then move on. Greeted by White coated waiters and led to your table.
This Place is Bliss, didn't want to leave.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PatrickFrancis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Turkish first
Denver Colorado
Reviewed 16 June 2009

I freely admit that this hotel has great views, a great breakfast (Omlette chef is to be complimented), town of Sorrento is wonderful, and the views are to die for. But everything else, the day-to-day functionting of the hotel, is horrible. The value for what you pay is outrageous. They really need to rethink how they cater to tourists, which is their main bread and butter.

Very expensive to have clothes laundered - and they came back as dirty as they left - I ended up chucking them in the garbage I was so disgusted.

There is no car nor complementary transportation service from the hotel to the Piazzo Tasso (main plaza) nor the port. Many hotels in the area that are priced way less offer this service.

Internet access is very expensive and drops connections constantly.

In room A/C system is very inadequate.

Paitio doors leak when it's raining.

Wake up call sometimes calls sometimes does not - accounted for at least 2 missed ferry departures during our stay and those are far-between.

Water spot on ceiling.

No cushions on the bottom of any chairs, so if the person in the room above moves their desk chair, it makes a horrible sound (like in the middle of the night).

6 Thank DenverWorldTraveller
England
Reviewed 3 June 2009

This is our fourth stay at the Royal and I am torn between wanting them to have the recognition they deserve and wanting to keep the hotel a secret so that we can always get in! The location is perfect, close to town but with a stunning view over the bay and lovely gardens full of citrus trees and flowers. I don't think it is an old hotel, but the ambience is certainly quite old fashioned, in the nicest possible way of the traditional European hotels. However, the staff are what really puts it in a class of its own. They are all, without a single exception, professional, courteous, hardworking and incredibly welcoming - without being so ingratiating that they become irritating! We can only bear to leave by promising ourselves that we will be back.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank PDYorkshire
Bedfordshire, England
Reviewed 1 June 2009

What can I say about the Royal Hotel which can adequately portray the beauty and elegance of this wonderful hotel.

Let's start with the location. One of the best in Sorrento. It sits on the cliffs overlooking the Marina Piccolo, the main harbour in Sorrento. This means to say that you see vessels of all shapes and sizes coming into the harbour as a constant backdrop to the glorious view over the Bay of Naples. Sometimes it will be tenders from the large cruise ships anchored in the bay, other times it will be the fast ferries from Capri or Amalfi

Also you have the most stupendous views across the Bay of Naples to Mount Vesuvius and the whole sweeping panorama of the bay. You can also see the island of Capri and other islands in the bay. It is probably the best sea view I have ever enjoyed.

Let's now art deal with the grounds. They aren't enormous, as obviously space is at a premium in the centre of the city, but they are still nevertheless quite beautiful with tall palm trees, a very nice pool and terraces on the edge of the cliffs which again give you that stupendous view to dine by.

Finally on location it couldn't be a lot more central in Sorrento. Come out the front door walk across the street and you are in Piazza Lautro, the second square of Sorrento and walk 3 or 4 minutes and you are at Piazza Tasso, the heart of Sorrento.

Now for the hotel itself. It really is elegance personified. The beautifully airy reception area is your first hint of this, and this is very true for the restaurant which again is wonderfully bright and beautifully decorated.

We booked the Double de Luxe rooms, as we wanted to get that sea view previously mentioned. The lower down in the hotel you are on the sea view size, the more your view is going to be restricted by the foliage in the gardens. We were fortunate enough to get two rooms side by side on the top, 6th, floor numbers 616 and 617, and from there we had the for 100% panoramic stunner that is a Sorrento sea view. From our small veranda, which was adequate, we were able to join enjoy the sun in the morning and also got the full blast of the evening sun set. I love those, again this made this perfect.

Finally Sorrento itself. What a beautiful sophisticated place to stay in. The shopping streets are alive all day, including the tiny backstreets where the buildings almost touch each other. It really has a lovely feel about it. Then of course you are ideally located to go to Pompeii, which you can easily reached on the train service which runs around the bay, the station of which in Sorrento is about a four minute walk from the hotel. You can of course also go on the Amalfi Drive, probably one of the most stunning coastal roads in the world. You can catch a boat to Capri or the other islands, there is so much to do.
The only disappointment were some of the restaurants, especially the bigger ones which were obviously more tourist traps. For me then nicest meal we had was in Angelina's on Piazza Lautro, which was the first restaurant we found on our first evening when all we wanted was something to eat. Fantastic Italian hospitality tremendous value, just what we wanted. I will however say that in my opinion if you want to find a good Italian restaurant, the best place to go is London.
So I give a this hotel absolute top marks, it's not cheap but if you can't afford it don't go there, if you like sophistications and a fantastic location this is the place for you.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Alan H
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed 30 May 2009

This hotel is classically beautiful in decor, clean, and situated in a near perfect location atop the cliffs! You have direct access to the ocean below [via stairs or lift], the pool lounge/cafe overlooks the sea [and serves amazing pizza], and you can walk to the hotel from the train station in literally five minutes. It is NOT NECESSARY to take a cab to this hotel from the train station..it's very close. Though we stayed for just one night and were in Sorrento for only a day and a half, we thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Salvatore at the front desk answered all of our questions, held our bags after we had checked out so that we could continue to explore the town, told us exactly how to get to where we wanted to go, and made dinner reservations for us at a wonderful seaside restaurant. A return stay is definitely warranted!

• Liked — Location and service
    • Check-in / front desk
Berkshire
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We booked a hotel and flight (Easy Jet) through Expedia to the Hotel Royal, Sorrento for a week in May.
Firstly be aware that by booking a hotel and flight with Expedia you are not entitled to a luggage allowance on Easy Jet flights. We found this out at Stansted and had to pay £16 per bag on our way out. It was worse coming home; at Naples airport we were charged £50 for 2 bags, each weighing less than 17kg! Easy Jet only give a luggage allowance if you book direct on their website; something I wasn’t aware of before.
With the additional mileage travelling to the airport and the unexpected luggage fees I am sure it would have been cheaper to fly with BA from Heathrow!

So on to the holiday;
We arrived at Naples and got a taxi from the airport to the Marina (costing £40 for a 6 mile drive) and caught the ferry to Sorrento. A pleasant way to arrive but much more expensive than the £10 bus ride we opted for on our return. Although I can’t really remember I think the ferry was about £15 each, but it was the taxi ride that made all the difference on cost.

The Hotel Royal was lovely. Definitely worthy of its 4* status. We had a standard room with a view over the gardens to the front of the hotel. Some other guest reviews complain of noise, but I didn’t think it was that bad and I didn’t expect the location to be quiet when staying in a hotel on the main road. I think the hotel is in a great location; only a 5 minute stroll into the main square and an equally short stoll to the train and bus station.

Our room was a reasonable size and appeared very clean. We got exactly what we expected for the price we paid for a standard room. Of course a sea / Vesuvius view would have been nicer, but it was a lot more expensive and we never spend much time in the room anyway. Plus you get those views all day long on your travels.

The communal areas of the hotel were all very nicely decorated and well maintained and the staff that I spoke to were all very helpful and courteous. No problems at all. As we were not on a package holiday we needed to ask advice of the front desk staff several times and they always gave us the information we required.

The local train and bus services run frequently and efficiently, get you to all the sights, and will cost a lot less than if you book excursions through the hotel or travel reps. The hotel front desk will give you any time tables you require.

Sorrento is a very beautiful place. Yes it is quite ‘touristy’ (the shops especially) but I think it still has a lot of charm. The majority of holiday makers tended to be older than my husband and I, but I liked that as there was a very friendly feel about the place. There are no language problems as so may people there speak English.

Some older negative reviews mention paying for the sun beds around the pool and ‘beach’ area. Fortunately this practice seems to have been stopped. There is now a notice advising that abandoned towels will be moved by staff. (You can’t expect to keep a bed for hours when you aren’t on it). A much fairer way of doing it in my opinion.

If I were to go to Sorrento again, I would go in May (again) or October to avoid the crowds and heat. It was still very busy in May, and I can only imagine how busy it would be in peak times, especially the main attractions such as Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Vesuvius. The weather this May was about 27 degrees all week so was hotter than average for the time of year. As Italy is so hilly I don’t think I could bear sightseeing all week if the heat was over 30 degrees.

I would recommend a visit to Sorrento and would recommend the Hotel Royal. I am giving this hotel an overall 4 star rating as I don’t believe in hyping it up to be a 5* hotel when it is not, but it is definitely a good 4*. I wish we could have stayed a few more days to have some rest and relaxation between sightseeing!

2 Thank Ro078
NYC
Reviewed 13 May 2009

This hotel was our first stop on our honeymoon in Italy, and it was here that we fell in love with the country. The service from the start was impeccable. The room was clean and each (if I am not mistaken) has its own private balcony overlooking either the mountains or the sea. The complimentary breakfasts were the most diversified that we encountered in our five-city visit.

But it was the private sea access that lured us in forever. Arrive before 10am and you are guaranteed one of the most breathtakingly spectacular lounge seats you will witness in your life. With a view of absolutely crisp blue water and Mt. Vesuvius looming over you, you will be granted the privilege of lying on a small jut of wood into the sea (which you will only share with six other people b/c you heeded this advice and arrived before 10am). And the beauty of this, is that once you have claimed your lounge chair, it is yours for the day. There is an unspoken, yet closely heeded rule, that once a chair is taken, it is taken until the sun comes down. So we sat for hours and hours, ordering a glass of champagne or a bottle of Peroni and dove into the blue at least once on every hour. We returned to our rooms at one point during one day and came back and our chairs were still ours.

This hotel is remarkable in that it harkens a time lost... a time of leisure and beauty. And if I had the chance, I would return again and again, every single year of my life.

P.S. Even if you arrive at the sea after 10 a.m., you can still enjoy the same beauty from the deck (with no diving access), or better yet, from the huge boulders lining the shore.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple