“Best Hotel in Sorrento by far”

Imperial Hotel Tramontano
Ranked #33 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
New York City, New York
“Best Hotel in Sorrento by far”
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I have two close friends from Boston who return each year to the Tramontano and couldn't have recommended it more highly to me. They were absolutely right, this hotel is beautiful and perfect in every way. My room was gorgeous, impeccably clean, and the view was breathtakingly stunning. The staff, without fail, was so charming, friendly, and helpful. Breakfasts each morning in the hotel restaurant were amongst the best that I have ever had. I had other friends who stayed in nearby hotels...I saw their rooms, and they couldn't hold a candle to my phenomenal room at the Tramontano. I absolutely love this magical hotel, and I too, shall now return each year!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Hebrew first
Portsmouth
Reviewed 2 April 2011

This hotel was beautifully positioned on the cliff edge with panoramic views out to Vesuvius ant the sweeping Bay of Naples. From the balcony of our Junior Suite we could see the world of the fishermen going on in the bay in front of us. Facing out to the sea meant our room was very quiet although the street the hotel is on is one of the quietest in Sorrento so even garden view rooms should be relatively peaceful, depending on season.
Staff were unfailingly polite and helpful which helped make our stay a very happy one.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Shelton CT
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Just got back from a wonderful two week trip through Italy. We made Sorrento our last stop so we could "relax" ha ha. I would agree is was the perfect spot to end our trip. The hotel is large and tucked away off the main road. We had room 114 which was in the old part of the hotel which except for the very bad mold problem in the hall, you would not no that you were in a building that is 500 years old. The room was HUGE and we had a great see view. There was a tub/shower so everyone was happy and the maid came twice each day. Breakfast was in a room overlooking the bay and the presentation was A+ my only gripe was that the coffee was the least favorate of the entire trip, but the staff was very impressive. Did not use the hotel for much, but we did get a drink on the outside terrace, and the bartender was great. The hotel could use a once over. Finishes were begining to ware and I had to hold my breath while walking down the hall from the smell of mold (I am allergic) so that was a bummer for such a nice hotel. DO NOT MISS dinner at the Inn Bufalito it is in walking distance located at 21 Vico I Fuoro. www.innbufalito.it They use a lot of buffalo meats, but have a great alt menu as well. We went twice and over heard two other couples say that it was their second time as well. NOT TO BE MISSED. I wish we could tell you the name of the resturant in Amalfi that we eat at. It was a hole in the wall, but was one of the best meals of the trip. There was a section as you walk off the bus through a small ally that leads to an area that has a few resturants and no shops. As we walked into this square it was the first on the left.

Dont miss Pompee and bring a snack as you will need it to finish.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 March 2011

I went to Sorrento for a week with friends on vacation and the Tramontano exceeded every expectation. Perched on a seaside cliff, the views of the Bay of Naples from my room's spacious private terrace are simply not to be believed. The hotel is also steps from the center of town and, to top it off, a private elevator off the lobby brings you directly to the beach! The food couldn't be better (mamma mia that breakfast!) and the staff could not be more helpful or welcoming. Staying at the Tramontane made my trip. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 March 2011

After reading many positive reviews, my fiance and I decided on Tramontano for our honeymoon to Sorrento. We had a few questions before we made our reservation so we emailed the hotel several times over the course of a month. We have STILL not received a reply. I have not stayed at the Tramontano but if their laziness at responding to emails is a reflection on how they treat their customers then I'm glad we were saved the pain before staying here.

Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank davidandnell
New Jersey
Reviewed 22 November 2010

On our arrival we were warmly greeted and told that our rooms were upgraded. How happy were we! We had booked junior suites and were upgraded to the beautiful senior suite. We were traveling with another couple and we were both upgraded....I think mainly because it was the slow time of year in Sorrento and the rooms were available. The staff was helpful and always there when needed. Alfonso in the bar was great! We enjoyed every minute of our stay. The restaurant was perfect and delicious. We ate dinner there the first night of our arrival. The staff was always there for us. The location of the hotel was also a plus. Everything you need is within walking distance. The town was only a short walk.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
cheshire, england
Reviewed 29 September 2010

We have recently returned from our third visit to Imperial Hotel Tramontano and I’m sorry to say we were a little disappointed this time, which was a shame because we had been delighted on our previous stays.

The hotel and gardens are still as beautiful as ever and the pool area has been smartened up with wicker sun loungers, armchairs and tables. There were also several parasols, which was an improvement on the last time we were there.

My husband has mobility difficulties and is really struggling at the moment. The room we were allocated was accessed via 7 stairs. The porter realised straight away that it would be a problem and asked if it was going to be ok. I was also a bit disappointed that we had no balcony – and we looked out at parked cars. (Citalia guests don’t always get the nicest rooms – our friends did have a terrace but also faced the car park). I went to reception to see if they had another room available that would be suitable for us. Our main requirement was a ‘walk-in’ shower for my husband but it turned out that there are only two rooms in the whole hotel that have a walk-in shower. The attitude of the reception guy was ‘well, what’s most important: a lift or a shower!’ I told him our priority was the shower. He said the other room was occupied but he would see if he could do anything tomorrow.. In the meantime, they very efficiently supplied the extra mattress we required to make the bed a good height for hubby.

Well, we were never offered another room and not once in 11 days did any of the reception staff ask if my husband was ok – even though they could see him clearly struggling every time we left or returned to our room. I have since realised – from looking at another reviewer’s photos – that the other room with a shower is a sea-view room. I have (rather cynically) assumed that they didn’t want to move us for free.

Anyway, it wasn't all bad news - the beds were comfortable and we slept really well (very firm mattresses, which we prefer), the room was kept very clean and the shower was pretty efficient as was the aircon. The breakfast buffet was ok – plenty to choose from – and we liked our morning coffee. The guys at the pool and pool bar/restaurant were extremely attentive and helpful.

We are not complainers - never have been and hopefully never will be - and we certainly don't expect anyone fawning over us as some guests do. It's just a shame that the reception staff gave us the overwhelming impression they couldn't have cared less.

Although we would still recommend this hotel to other people, it is no longer 'for us' - we will be staying elsewhere on our next trip to Sorrento.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple