“honeymoon”

Ranked #32 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Hoboken, New Jersey, United States
“honeymoon”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

After reading the mixed reviews i was worried. Let me just say we had an absolutely amazing time. The staff was helpful , the pool was beautiful, the beach below was amazing. I had emailed my travel agent and expressed a desire to be placed in a more well apointed larger room since it was our honeymoon. I do not know if she spoke to them or if they just made sure we were placed in a better room after seeing it was our honeymoon. Regardless we had a very large, beautiful room with a jacuzzi in the bathroom and a huge balcony overlooking the sea and mount vesuvius. The balcony was large enough for a couch and a table to eat at.
we did not eat at the restaurant but did have breakfast at the hotel once. It was not the best but luckily we slept until lunch time almost everyday anyway!
All in all we had an awesome stay and an amazing honeymoon!

Room Tip: room 103 was awesome!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Hebrew first
San Jose
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Tramontano was everything we hoped it would be. Our room had a fantastic sea view, the staff cordial and helpful, the location was very convenient, and the breakfast one of the best we have had in Italy. Highly recommended.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Birmingham
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I visited this hotel for a wedding approximately 6 years ago and had always wanted to return with my husband, as it had made such an impression on me.
We decided to book this hotel for our 25th wedding anniversary and we weren't disappointed.
The rooms were lovely, although the one we were in was quite a bit smaller than the last one I stayed in and the bathroom was a bit cramped but this was only a minor issue. The breakfast was plentiful and very enjoyable with breathtaking views over the Bay of Naples. Before we went out in the evening we thoroughly enjoyed relaxing on the balcony of the hotel bar, having a drink and some nibbles, once again taking in the view.
The hotel is elegant and the staff are friendly. The location is also excellent, close to the train station, shops and restaurants.
There is a lift that takes you down to the bayside where you can take a short walk to the port to get a boat to Capri.
Although I had always intended on returning to this hotel, I read some reviews on Trip Advisor before I booked and found one or two negative comments about the hotel not being as good as it used to be. I had some reservations but went ahead with the booking anyway and I am so pleased I did. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I hope to return again some day.

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

“Overall a good hotel with minor irritations.Location is excellent with views over the bay of Naples. It is only a few minutes stroll to the centre of Sorrento yet quiet as set in sub tropical gardens. Public rooms ornate and luxurious with some beautiful furniture and artifacts.

Vast differences between the rooms, some exquisite and others not so! Housekeeping substandard. The bedroom floor was filthy and made my feet dirty!!!! I ended up washing it myself even though I had requested it be cleaned properly. Toiletries were of good quality but were never replaced.

Restaurant had large windows with views of Bay of Naples but no outside area. It would have been nice to have opportunity eat al fresco. Breakfast disappointing for a 4 star hotel. Poor selection and most of the fruit out of a tin; scrambled eggs floating in pool of water;only bread available was sliced out of a packet or sweetish tiny rolls. Some dishes looked as though they had been left from buffet lunch, e.g. cold cauliflower, artichokes and rice salad. However, a large selection of pastries/cakes including delicious flaky croissants. Did not eat dinner at hotel as menu very limited and there are so many local restaurants that offered a superior menu selection at competitive prices.

Pleasant pool area with loungers, sunshades and tables and chairs. Pool bar had nice terrace overlooking pool and gardens with reasonably priced food. The waiter in the pool bar very sullen and rude to guests if anyone wanted more than one towel!!! No outside toilet for pool.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 123 as it is small and quite dark. It is next to the hotel lift to the beach so can be n...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank suzielegge
Teaneck, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We just returned from a 12-day trip to Italy ending our stay at the Imperial Hotel Tramontano. I can't say enough about this beautiful and elegant hotel. I had booked two rooms - one seaview for my husband and myself and a garden view for our two teenage children. Upon arrival, there was a musty smell in our room and we called the front desk. A few people came up to check it out, very concerned that the odor was also in the adjourning block of rooms. The young man who had just checked us in at the front desk also came into the room. He apologized profusely and offered, what he called, the best suite in the hotel.

The suite was spectacular. It was a 2-story suite fit for royalty. The entry led into a large living room with two enormous glass doors that opened onto small iron balconies with gorgeous views of the Mediterranean. Then we went up the beautiful staircase to the bedroom loft which which was quite large and where we could see the sparkling waters from our bed. The bed itself was enormous. It was two double sized beds put together. The sheets and bedspread were sewn as one so the bed looked huge (and very welcoming) like it could fit four people across. We felt like royalty. Our children's room was located on the same floor had two balconies (one was very large) that overlooked the pool and from the smaller balcony they could see the Mediterranean.

The location of the hotel is fabulous! It is within walking distance everywhere. We only ate breakfast there once but it was terrific and certainly better than I expected. There was eggs, bacon, cheeses, cold cuts, fresh fruits, cereals including a fabulous assortment of Italian pastries. Although we didn't eat dinner in the main dining room, we did eat by the poolside restaurant. The food was surprising good. The pool area was not crowded at all so we had no problems getting a lounge for all four of us even though the hotel was fully booked.

We definitely plan on returning to Hotel Tramontano next time we visit Sorrento!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Totnes
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My daughters and I have just returned from an 11-night stay at the Tramontano. Having read some fairly mixed reviews before we went, we were unsure what to expect but I'm pleased to say our fears were unfounded. It is a lovely building, very grand with lofty ceilings, ornate decor and lovely staff. Our room was spacious and comfortable and had not one but two full balconies with furniture which was great to take in the panoramic views of the Bay and Vesuvius. If you look closely, it is a little tired in places but this does not spoil the overall effect.
The hotel was very well located being a short stroll from the old part of town with its many shops and restaurants.
Staff were so professional, helpful and friendly, especially the concierges Signore Romano, Pepe, a lovely young lady with glasses [sorry I didn't get her name!] likewise a young man. Nothing was too much trouble.
Breakfasts were good with a huge selection of breads, fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, local dishes, cheeses, cold meats, yoghurts, cereal, cakes and pastries.
We didn't have dinner at the hotel as there were plenty of restaurants nearby which we enjoyed sampling.
The pool area and gardens were lovely but beware of mosquitoes!

Room Tip: A seaview room is a must. Our room was nice and quiet and was on the lower level.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We first visited The Tramontano in 1983, returning in 1999, and then perhpaps ten times since then. We book a room on the fourth floor with a large terrace overlooking the bay, which isn't cheap, but which is very special. I can stand and stare at that view for hours, it is beautiful, and ever changing, with a steady flow of fishing boats, ferries, cruise liners, super yachts and the like, backed by the menacing prescence of Vesuvius across the bay. The rooms do vary, and there are a few frayed edges, but it's an old building, full of character, not a bog standard " you could be anywhere in the world" modern hotel.
The staff have become real friends. They address us by name and look after our every need, from Toni the porter to Luigi the director, and everyone in between. I have seen many guests who are very abrupt and even downright rude to them, but if you treat them as people and not as servants, they never fail to respond.
The bar terrace has to be one of my favourite places in the world. Nothing can beat a cold beer sitting there, watching the sun go down after a hot day, chatting and nibbling tasty canapes prepared in the kitchen.
Breakfast never fails to please, with a vast array of cold meats, cheeses, cakes, pastries, fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, bread, yoghurt and fresh orange juice (not on the buffet, but just ask), and lashings of fresh coffee or tea (ask for cappuchino or espresso if you want it, no problem). Again, the view over the bay is an encouragement to linger.....
Meals in the restaurant are great. If you don't see what you fancy on the menu, just ask, and the attentive staff will make suggestions that they will prepare for you. There is always an appetiser to start, good bread with local olive oil, and excellent wine recommendations.
The pool area may not be large, but it is peaceful and pleasant, surrounded by sub-tropical palm trees and flowers. Towels are provided, though there are always plenty of selfish guests who think that there is a reservation system for the sun beds. My advice, tip them off and take the beds if you can't find one free.
The location is perfect for walking into town, with its bars, restaurants and shops, all within minutes. The staiton for buses and trains is about 5 minutes away. It is a nice stroll down to Marina Grande for more water side restaurants (try Delfinos, right at the far end of the harbour). Marina Piccola (the main port) is equally easy, just use the hotel lift and it is a 2 minute stroll along the bottom of the cliffs.
We are fortunate to enjoy other holidays through the year, but we always try to fit in at least a week in the terrific Tramontano!

Room Tip: Take the best room you can afford, preferably with a sea view and balcony.
1 Thank Offthetouristtrack