“Decent stay”

Imperial Hotel Tramontano
Ranked #36 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here during a recent trip to Italy with my mom and sister. This hotel is in a great location in Sorrento. Right in the center of town very close to great restaurants and shops. The service at this hotel isn't great. To get a few ice cubes for a drink I had to ask several people and then finally received them in a plastic bag. Not a young and bustling hotel. The pool was a nice touch.

• Stayed: May 2014
6  Thank Sunandsand235
Write a ReviewReviews (1,214)

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the hotel as part of our vacation in Italy. We had a great stay and were packed up to leave for the next part of the trip. The hotel arranged transportation to the train station and knew our travel plans.

As we packed for our departure, I removed our valuables from the safe and placed my wallet in my purse. We left for a quick breakfast before our car was to arrive. We passed the housekeeping crew in the hall as we left.

As we sat at breakfast, I realized I forgot my purse in the room. I calmed myself by thinking "this is such a nice hotel I have nothing to worry about". We paid 400€ a night - security should not be of issue.

We returned to our room and called for the Bellman. When he arrived I went to my purse for his tip. It was then that I realized my cash was missing. Only 4 $1 American bills were left in my wallet, $200 American and 100€ were missing. I knew the amount of cash missing because I counted it when I removed it from the safe.

I went to the Front Desk to report the robbery. I spoke with the Manager, who said he had a well trained staff and stated I must be mistaken. He then asked if I had insurance. He offered to call the police so I could file a report. We were short on time (which he knew because they arranged our transportation). When I hesitated, the Manager told me I could call the police anytime to make a report. He did not offer not complete a formal report or offer any other support. When I asked for the Sorrento Police phone number, he hesitated, searched, and acted like he did not have the number handy. When I did not leave, he finally located and wrote down their number

Since my cash was stolen, we did not have the cash needed to pay the car service. The hotel acted like they did us a favor and converted American money to Euros for us.

When we later arrived in Rome, I called the Sorrento Police, who did not speak English. Our new hotel staff called and translated for me. We were told a report could only be filed in person.

I was really upset because the hotel Manager had told me differently. I called Hotel Tramantano and asked to speak to the manager. I was asked why, and after I replied I was put on hold. When the employee came back on the phone I was told his peer informed him I had already spoken to the Manager in the morning and he was not available. When I told him of my conversation with the Sorrento Police, he scolded me and told me "everyone knows you can't file a police report over the phone". I told him to educate his manager because he advised me differently. I asked for the manager to call me...I am still waiting for his call 3 days later.

While the hotel is truly located in a great location, the theft of my cash and poor handling of the matter by management forces me to caution others in staying here. It definitely soured what was previously a great trip, and made us feel victimized by the hotel and it's staff.

If you've read this review and still choose to stay at the hotel, please lock your money in the safe at all times!

Stayed: June 2014
17  Thank Donna D
luigi g, Direttore at Imperial Hotel Tramontano, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

The amount of lies and misstatements you wrote are simply ridiculous and shameful.

In compliance with the long tradition and history of this hotel, for the excellent, honest
and hard work we all
daily do, for the absolutely unjustified accusations you have leveled to our chamber maid and to myself, we PRETEND, in writing, your immediate public apology.

Failing that, we will make a formal declaration of the facts to the Police and to the
Embassy.
We have all your details. We are now tired and angry of those people who use this channel in a distorted and opportunistic way.

regards.

Luigi Guarracino
Director
Imperial Hotel Tramontano
Sorrento

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

3 walking to the center of Sorrento but very quiet location with clean swimmingpool, beatiful seeview and the whole staff of the hotel = PERFECT !!! with the elevator of the hotel you are in 2 minutes at the sea, also nice restaurant below, little private beach

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Martine C
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very old school and unless you get a good sea view room other non sea facing rooms need some major upgrades. Hotel is close to the centre of town.
Pool ok, but was closed. Breakfast is average not much of fresh fruit selection.
I would not consider this as a 4* facility

Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Houston-based
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We returned a few days ago from our 3rd visit to Sorrento, our first stay at the Tramontano. Nice enough but not quite up to the standard of other 4* hotels in Sorrento.

One major complaint; Current major building work (for another week or so) to the pool side snack bar. A lot of noise, dust, builders in boots walking through he poolside area to a closed off part of the garden, all day long. Not really possible to have a quiet read, or relaxing swim!

Apart from this issue, the outside space here is limited & most of it is between the road & front of the hotel. The small swimming pool area is close to the road and this is quite busy. Traffic noise very apparent. Also pedestrians walking along the road can see some of the sun beds (& their occupants) from the road. The gardens were described as lush & relaxing, but are not as extensive as we hoped for and again between the road & front of the hotel.

Tramontano is in the centre of Sorrento, seconds walk from shops & restaurants. However our brochure described 'a peaceful oasis away from town centre'. We have stayed at 2 other hotels in Sorrento, both 4*, both further out of the town centre & both also on the cliff top with the stunning views over the bay of Naples. Both had larger, beautiful outdoor areas, as long as you don't mind a 10 min walk into town. (See my previous review of May 2009).

Breakfast was disappointing, very inconsistent & tinned fruit everyday with occasional fresh fruit added. On the plus side our room was very nice & spacious with stunning sea views & a large balcony, although cleaning standards were only just OK.
Staff were helpful, but not as friendly as we have found in other hotels all over Italy. There also appeared to be a lack of staff at times, we had to go in search of someone on more than one occasion. Overall would not return here.

Room Tip: Very few rooms have a balcony you can sit on. Room 104 (below the restaurant) has a sea view with fa...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank homemum
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel is in a fantastic location, minutes from the main square, a lift to the beach below where sunbeds and parasols can be hired and decent food eaten at Leonellis.10 minutes from the train station - all very easy. Nice pool, nice breakfast room. Would recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SSGS
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This hotel has a long history dating back to when it was originally a grand house frequented by the likes of Keats, Shelley & Byron. When Ibsen stayed here it had already been converted and he wrote "Ghosts" somewhere in the building. It has one of the best positions on Sorrento with stunning views across the bay of Naples to Vesuvius from the restauarnt and some of the front facing rooms. We booked a sea view but from the left hand annexe there was only a restricted view and a tiny balcony - stnading room only for two people ! There are not so many sea view rooms and apart from the luxury suites there are few proper balconies. If this is what you want try the Belle Vue Syrene next door - also up-market but with more and better balconies. Breakfast was disappointing in that there was a poor slection of fresh fruit alongside tinned fruit which somehow seemed inappropriate given the plentiful supplies in the local fruit shops at this time of year. Howver the entrance lobby and common rooms are very impressive and the staff are liveried and very subseviant which is just what its mainly older richer clientele expect we are sure.

Room Tip: sea view rooms probably not worth the extra
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple