“Good, but not that good!”

Imperial Hotel Tramontano
Ranked #36 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This was our 2nd trip to the Tramontano after a 3 year gap and this time it was definitely a lesser experience.
We booked, what we thought was the same standard of rooms; 2 junior suites with balconies and direct sea views with an expectation of repeating the standard of our previous stay. We were mistaken.
The luggage was taken down from the reception area and we were given 2 suites with good sea views . These suites however are not in the same league as the first and 2nd floor suites having the bathroom at the front thereby reducing view and space,much lower ceilings and tiled as opposed to wooden floors. There is something psychologically weird about going down a steep stair to your rooms in a luxury hotel.
In the morning (6 ish) we were woken with the sound of the kitchens, moving tables, laying out cutlery above us.
We asked to be moved and expressed our disappointment to no avail, they were full up and aghast that we were critical of the suites allocated to us.
The room was very dated and the en suites looked circa 1985. A crispy sofa on the balcony was ready for the skip..
The hotel is in a great location for Sorrento the views are superb and the staff attentive and professional . There is however an air of complacency, based presumably on their on- going popularity. Despite the issues mentioned the food was good, breakfasts comprehensive and the maitre'd- Luigi always attentive and helpful.

We did enjoy our stay and are not people that fixate or worry to much about fittings, again though for the money, I would expect better than the standard offered in this hotel.

I have given the hotel 4 stars but in reality would say 3 to 4.. if I could.
In context to the price I don't feel the hotel is good value. The Tramonatano is a decent hotel but it is unlikely we will return and I would agree with all the comments in respect of the rooms. This hotel is mostly about the location and view. Make sure you know precisely your room type and the rooms location within the hotel before you commit a lot of money!.

Room Tip: Make sure you know exactly where your room will be in the building.Sea facing or what's the poin...
2  Thank tim h

Reviewed 24 August 2014

The hotel is situated in an ideal location with incredible views of the bay of Naples and mount Vesuvius. Within seconds of leaving the hotel you have a selection of nice restaurant's and shops to choose from.
Staff are very friendly,breakfast has a limited selection however the quality is very high.There is a private lift that operates from the hotel to the bathing platforms that is very convenient this operates between 9 and 2 and 4 and 6.if I ever return to Sorrento I will be staying at this hotel.I could not recommend it enough.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin W
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Tramontano whilst on holiday for ten days, and I absolutely loved it. Sorrento is a beautiful place, and the Tramontano was the perfect place to stay. The setting overlooking the coast, with Mount Vesuvius and Naples in the back-drop was incredible. All of the staff were very friendly, and we had no problems whatsoever. I hope to go back to Sorrento at some point in the future, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here once again; I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of going to Sorrento.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Camilla C
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed in this Hotel, for the third time in early August. I suppose by now I know what I am getting and I know why I go back
1) Its location not many hotels can better it - You’re on a cliff on the bay of Naples and you’re straight into the tourist area as soon as you leave the entrance
2) The views, to have breakfast looking over the bay of Naples, to sit in your room and look at Vesuvius or have the doors open and listen to that chaotic noise you only get on an Italian lido, it’s worth it
3) Its Bar and Poolside staff are both attentive and friendly, the way the evening bar staff hover, check, and bring nibbles is pleasing and more importantly done in a way without being imposing - Oh and the views from the bar and terrace, worth every penny
4) Access to the Lido's - The hotel has a lift that takes you straight to the lid's or even a tunnel within the grounds, at the bottom they even have their own changing rooms , a clever touch

This hotel is not about In house Hairdressers, Gyms, or a Shop selling jewellery and Bags, it’s about delivering simple but high quality standards in a building full of character, and yes that also means that some bits are old in fact very old and some things might not work

It’s my third time and not my last because for a person who likes quality, good food in a calm and relaxing environment in a central location, then this hotel does it

Oh and for those that have teenagers, the free wifi was worth every penny, even if it did mean that they never left the room as that saved me even more

Room Tip: there are many various rumours I have stayed on floors 1,2 and 4. One seems to have the better sea v...
3  Thank Michael B
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I can only think of positive comments to make about the hotel. The staff were friendly and efficient without being overbearing and were only too pleased to offer help with regard to trips and eating out. There is also a first class restaurant within the hotel offering evening meals and the bar offers views over the Bay of Naples. The hotel is clean and we were lucky enough to have a large balcony with a sea view. The breakfast was great with a large choice of cereals, fruit, cooked food, pastries etc. We would definitely stay here if we visited Sorrento again.

Room Tip: A room with a sea view is a must.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alun1998
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon this past July. We had a beautiful view overlooking Mt. Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples. The hotel is centrally located and easy to gain access to everything that the town of Sorrento has to offer. The staff was very friendly and went above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed our stay. This hotel is very quaint and has a lot of history. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who was thinking about visiting Sorrento. Thank you for a wonderful vacation!

Room Tip: Make sure you reserve a sea view room to enjoy the beautiful scenery. These rooms are also very qui...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jeff and Tracy G
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Excellent service, 4 star and deserved every one! This was a magnificent hotel, in magnificent location overlooking the beach and accross the bay of Naples. It was spotlessly clean , attendance by staff was effective discreet and very obliging. Lovely gardens, pool area, outside lunch in shaded area, coffee available on the veranda overlooking thebeach which was accessible by hotels private lift. Rooms wee spacious and tastefully decorated with luxury bathroom, and nice seating area with setee, arm chairs and coffee table, and good storage, comfortable king size bed .Air condition and shuttered windows, which when opened revealed views of the gardens, or the pool area from windows on both sides of the room.Food was excellent, and the range of the buffet style breakfast was a great start to every day! Public rooms were super ,and there were a number of seating areas ouside. One guest we met had been there 10 times and another 3 times, and we hope to return ourselves.

Room Tip: We found the 4th floor had excellent views, but all rooms had similar spacious areas.There were lift...
3  Thank bc9992013