“Amazing Hotel, Amazing Staff, Great Rooms & Food!”
Review of Hotel Bristol

Hotel Bristol
Ranked #15 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
london
“Amazing Hotel, Amazing Staff, Great Rooms & Food!”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I have stayed at Hotel Bristol 2 times now and on both occassions this hotel has proved excellent in terms of, quality of rooms, space, stunning views, excellent customer services and great food. The staff are most welcoming and will really go out of their way in order to make your stay a pleasurable one! This hotel is also very close to Sorrento town centre and is ideal for those not wanting to walk far in order to acces amenities-although the hotel is situated on the main road which is very busy so you will need to be vigilent especially of you have small children or walking difficulties as the cars generally don't stop!
The sea view rooms are amazing, very spacious and have lovely comfortable beds and great balconies with table and chairs! The rooms are cleaned to a very high standard every day and the maids also check the rooms again in the evenings to ensure you have enough fresh towels etc.
The food is also of a very high quality with an extensive choice of breakfast and dinners in an beautiful dining room which again has the most amazing views over the bay of sorrento.
The hotel also has a great pool area with an additional jacuzzi section and a seperate baby pool as well as a great shaded area with loungers & chairs and ideal for those wishing to read a book & relax.
Overall a great hotel & worth every penny! Would definitely recommend this to couples & families.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a Sea View Room- Views are Stunning
3 Thank littlegem30

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (782)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 17 July 2011

The view from our room was superb, as are also the terraces overlooking the Bay of Naples. Staff is very professional and gives you a feeling of being prioritized. This hotel is highly recommended. Will be back.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Oddarvid
North Pole, Alaska
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We still don't know what to make of this one! There were some really excellent features to the Bristol but we had some negative experiences too. I will try an be as objective as possible and given you enough information to decide for yourself. After much research, we booked a week at the Bristol for the views really. On arrival, the hotel was as just as clean as the websites showed. However, as it was extremely hot (30 degrees outside) we unpacked immediately and put on the air conditioning only to discover it was not working. We reported it straight away to reception and someone commented that the previous occupants might have ‘done something to it’ whatever that meant. Soon after this, an engineer arrived. He had a look at it then said he would be back in 20 minutes. We were very hot, tired and frustrated and so as you can imagine it wasn’t a great start to our holiday. Some 2 -3 hours later when we had heard nothing more my husband went back down to reception and asked again. He was simply told the hotel was aware of the problem. Eventually before dinner, the engineer arrived for the second time with a spare part. The air conditioning was fixed and nothing more was said. I can’t say I was overawed by their hospitality at that point (I feel most 4 star hotels would have at least offered us a drink to cool us down whilst they rectified the problem!) I have to be honest and say our room was also average and very basic. Were it not for the plasma TV and the really exceptional views on the balcony (which we had paid extra for), then I would not have rated this room as a 4 star. There was plenty of storage space for clothes though and plenty of hangers which was good however. The location of the Bristol Hotel and the narrow paths into Sorrento make in inaccessible to wheelchair users I feel. It is a very short walk out of town, much closer than I imagined.
We quickly forgot about the faulty air conditioning problem. We loved the balcony - what more can I say about the views that has not been said? The views were outstanding from most of the restaurants and the bar, even the large graffiti which you could clearly see near the marina didn’t spoil the view. Just watch for the mosquitoes outside.
The Bristol food was a surprise- much better than I had ever expected. I’m picky and don’t eat a lot of meat either but the evening meals were fantastic and the service in the restaurant was also outstanding too every time we went in. This was some of the best hotel food we have ever experienced. We were very impressed and at once point I began to wonder if we had gone into the wrong restaurant by mistake, it was so good. We didn’t once even bother to try the a la carte restaurant opposite – there was no need to. Before the trip, we had intended to switch to breakfast and lunch and eat out in the evening but changed our minds as the whole dining experience was obviously better than anything you would ever get in town and the views from the restaurant were amazing. I heard others make the same point.
On the whole, it was a good holiday. Pool was good and never too cold. You could get a sun bed just about any time of day on most days (this was early July). You could collect a towel each day by the pool. The restaurant even opened an hour early for guests on Friday when we were leaving with a very early pick up, which we had not expected or been told about, and we had already had breakfast in our room.
There were 2 more issues which I will unfortunately remember this holiday for. Be aware that not so long ago there was a big problem with people on motorbikes grabbing handbags from tourists (not the hotels fault obviously). These people used motorbikes to grab their pickings then make a quick getaway. I know for a fact that this was a big problem in Sorrento around 2003/4 as I used to be a travel agent and several clients told me about this. I actually thought that problem had been sorted now (also, no one warned us about this). Anyway, you guessed it some youths did come up behind us late at night as we were walking back to the hotel and they yelled something at us then sped off. My handbag was on a thick chain across my shoulder and at my right hand side, so they would have realised they could not really have grabbed it and made off. A man we spoke to saw the whole thing from the other side of the road and asked if we were alright. He said he had seen them come up very slowly behind us stalking us. He also said a similar thing happened to him. We did not hear them coming. He assumed they were just trying to frighten us for a laugh. I am not so sure. We had been drinking but were not drunk. This was about 11pm near the Bristol so be aware you are vulnerable as this is a quiet area late at night and the way the paths are you will be on the side walking back to the hotel with your back to the road right next to you. A few nights later in the same area we thing we heard a commotion and someone yelling. I suspect this is possible a regular occurrence and maybe they are after laughs or out to mug or both – it was unclear. The thing is that no one warned us and it’s not pleasant.
The other iussue we had was we were not told we must to settle our bill the night before we checked out, and because we have never had a problem before, it never occurred to us to do that. We never imagined there would be a problem. My husband paid the bill by credit card and it was quite a bit higher than I expected. I had been keeping a running tally in my head so I had a rough ides of what to expect. Because we were quite early for our bus, I did look at our bill and immediately spotted at least 2 items we had not bought, and on different days too. One item was Magners and the other was a rose wine – neither of these had been ordered by us or consumed at all on this holiday. They were there on the bill in addition to the things that we had ordered. We were surprised as having only been there a week we knew what we had been doing most days and what we had ordered (or not) and when. My husband went back to the receptionist and pointed the errors out very politely only to be told it the staff sometimes put red wine through as ‘rose’ if they are in a hurry. A lame excuse. I think if this is true it is pretty lazy of them and a bit silly – after all, if people have not ordered items which are shown on their bill guests are obviously going to think they have been jipped even if they haven’t! It could have happened if one of the waiters had written down something completely different, possibly even with a different price. Anyway we were told us there was no time to go through the receipts we had signed for and we should have came down earlier. (Yes how stupid of me of course it was our fault as paying guests that they had messed up our bill). My husband who is very laid back and gentle natured did not make a scene at all. He just said ‘OK no problem’ and we sat down to wait for our bus. I felt it was really bad service as you don’t expect to be stung for things you haven’t bought and I certainly don’t expect to pay for the drinks of other holiday makers! We knew for a fact the Magners was not ours. You do not have the option of paying as you go at this hotel. You don’t always sign for drinks, sometimes the waiters just write down your room number so anyone could give another room number either accidently or on purpose or it could be written down wrongly. We were sitting discussing what could have gone wrong when the man at the reception came over looking a bit agitated. He said he had been whistling at us to attract our attention and hadn’t we heard him? We think this is possibly because we had started talking to some other people who were leaving, as to be honest; he could not be bothered to sort it out prior to that. Anyway, he gave my husband back 7 Euros he had paid for the Magners and our bus arrived just at that moment. My husband said this was fine and and being a gentleman he went to shake this mans hand but the receptionist refused. I think this is insulting to say the least. I felt we were treated like petty criminals but I am sorry this was their mistake, not ours and I am livid about the way my husband was treated. For all I know this was might not even have been an innocent mistake. I would like to point out that if I can afford the extortionate amount I paid for this hotel and the room upgrade, I can certainly afford a couple of drinks and would have no problem paying for them if these were our drinks - but we knew they were not things we had even ordered so it’s the principle. I was disgusted at the attitude of the person on reception on the morning when we left. It seems to me there are other systems the hotel could adopt, such as pay as you go or a payment swipe card which is individual to each customer. We have never ever encountered a problem like this before and we didn’t make a fuss or a scene, we just queried it politely as anyone with any sense would. I am pretty sure the hotel will come back with some clever answer to this but I feel they really should just admit their system is flawed and their customer service and do something about it!
I would not return to this hotel it was a disappointing experience for the reasons above. In my view, the Bristol despite the fantastic food was not great value and is overrated because when things go wrong the staff do not seem able to act quickly or professionaly to rectify problems and give a good customer service. If I ever do return to Sorrento, I think I would try the Capadimonte which is closer again to town than the Bristol.

Room Tip: Book a balcony and sea view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
16 Thank DiscerningG66
Spalding,Lincs
Reviewed 14 July 2011

When you read previous reports on this hotel then I think most superlatives have been said.As a special treat to recognise me reaching a birthday milestone I took all our family to the hotel hiring 3 Villa Bianca.It was a wonderful experience enjoyed by all.This was our 8th visit to the hotel but the first time most of our family had accompanied us.
No complaints and an expensive extravagance but one we will all remeber for a very long time.
The management and staff were as always very welcoming,polite and helpful.The food I think has improved in the last 2 years.As we love Sorrento and cannot fault the hotel we will no doubt be returning next year.

2 Thank avebury27
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Wow just spent a week at the Bristol and we had the best holiday ever , the hotel is lovely, the staff can't do enough for you, the pool area has the best views , we were half board and could'nt fault the food ,service or staff . 'Matteo' makes you feel like your the only guests in the dining room our room (207) was great, must admit i had read reviews on this floor being to noisey and close to the road but we loved the room and location and once the balcony doors are closed you dont hear a thing. 5 min walk into town which is a nice walk then into the main strip which is buzzing loved all the shops all the little alleys through to more shops. If you get the chance visit Mount Vesuvis/Pompei amazing also go to Capri, really beautiful there is so much to see and do in and around Sorrento and to be honest i didn't want to come home but we are going back to the same hotel and this time we will do two weeks as a week isn't really enough time to enjoy this lovely place, Can't wait to return :-) and a big Thankyou to our rep Stacey who provided us with all the information and knowledge i don't think there is anything she does'nt know about Sorrento and surrounding places. FANTASTICO !

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank clumsey
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We have just returned from a two week stay here. We could not fault it in any way. All the staff were welcoming and friendly and the service was first class. The view from our rooms was stunning and waking up to the bay of Naples with Vesuvius in the background is something not to be missed. A five to ten minute walk to the town makes this hotel an ideal base for catching boats, trains and buses to explore the sights. We organised this holiday with our two teenage children to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and we were not disappointed. The hotel exceeded all our expectations and made this a truly magical holiday for us to remember for a long time.

Room Tip: We did not have a balcony but we had magnificent views across the bay. Try and get a sea view room.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Trees13
Ireland
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Stayed here for five nights last week and had we been on half board I dont think we would have left the hotel for the week. We were a family of Mum and three daughters and had two rooms both with seaview and balcony. One of our rooms was a junior suite with jacuzzi on the balcony and it was amazing. The view was fabulous and the balcony was huge and completely private. The decor was very cool in the Sorrento heat. We had towels changed twice a day if necessary, beds turned down every night and the room and bathroom were spotless. The other room was great too, the only thing was that the balcony was very open and overlooked. The hotel is a complete maze and you really have to remember where you were to get back there, but thats ok because every wall and corridor is adorned with art or furniture of some description.
The pool was great, breakfast was plentiful and the lunch time restaurant on the pool floor was lovely too.
The staff here are brilliant, they couldnt do enough for you and were so friendly and welcoming. We had most contact with the restaurant staff and Matteo, Pascale, Josef and co made every meal a very pleasant experience.
I would describe this hotel as taking you in and putting its arms around you so you dont want to leave it. If I ever return to Sorrento I will definitely stay in the Bristol Hotel. Thanks to everyone there for an excellent few days, we loved it.

6 Thank Mac030203