Hotel Bristol
US$361
US$348
US$283
  • Breakfast included
Grand Hotel De La Ville Sorrento(Sorrento)
US$358
  • Pool
Grand Hotel Ambasciatori(Sorrento)
US$1,701
2,577 results
All reviewsvilla bianca suitesbay of napleshalf boardjunior suiteour honeymoonstunning viewsbusy roadmarina grandeoverlooking the baylovely hotelrooftop poolevening mealeggs and baconmount vesuviusrestaurant staffroom numbersun loungers
Reviewed 15 August 2009

There were some good things about this hotel and some not so amazing things.

Location
You can't help but be overwhelmed by the location of this hotel (as long as you have avoided being run over by the crazy Italian drivers outside the hotel!) because of the amazing views. The cliff top, ocean scene is practically thrust upon you (and why not?) when you sit down to dine or have breakfast.

Upon arrival
We were greeted politely by the staff at reception and they were helpful when we needed them. We had a great room with plenty of space, upgraded to a junior suite through the people we booked with.

The room
The decor is stuck in a time warp but is not offensive just a little odd in places like the chandlers in the dining rooms. If you want me to be really particular, the room could have been more comfortable as I did not sleep well either beacuse of the bed (I am not normally a light sleeper!) or the noisy, ineffective air conditioning, but anyway, that is for those of you that want really specific detail. I did get worried about a safety issue in the room (which turned out to be nothing) but the hotel dealt with it straight away which I was pleased about.

The disappointing part
Firstly, I would like start by saying, I liked the cabbage, the corgettes and the potatoes I had on one evening. We had paid for half board so presumed we would be getting food cooked to order as you do from restaurants with a menu. However, it became clear that the mojority of the food is either a) something I could have chucked together in seconds e.g. tomatoes stuffed with tinned tuna or b) precooked food (floating in watery-sauce sound familiar to any of you who have been there?)- so basically a buffet but served from the kitchen. Now, I don't have a problem with buffet dinners but what I don't appreciate is restaurants 'selling' me food and pretending it is cooked to order. Saying that, I have been to some hotels that also have the most amazing buffets. Basically, I am no Jamie Oliver (my family will vouch for that) but I would have cooked better food at home. Maybe it was something to do with the food having sat there in the sauce for an hour or so before ending up on my plate?
The breakfast was not much better... there were dirty orange juice glasses, and as I sit here now, I can't really think of anything tasty that was available for breakfast apart from cereal and rolls and sometimes we were treated to pancakes with Nutella covered in a thick layer of sugar. *Shudder* The list goes on but I don't have all night to write this and I think you should have enough to make your mind up either way.

I could see the waiters making such an effort to try and give a good service in the dining room. But I don't think calling out at people to come to a table or waving people to a table across the dining room was the way to do it. Maybe the hotel was too busy. It felt like a conveyor belt, I couldn't relax and no matter how personal they tried to make it, it felt totally impersonal and may I say, a little false. The food too.

Alternative option
The walk into the main part of the town is about 10-15 minute so it is a good place to walk in to the main shopping area which has some great little shopping streets. I would say, if you can hack the walk, which is alongside a busy road, then dine out when you can. There are plenty of lovely resturants in Sorrento and it completely changes at night time when the main streets are pedestrianised.

This hotel stop was included in a package with a hotel in Rome so we don't really know the true cost of staying here- it might have been a bargain so then what are we complaining about? It is also worth considering we have not stayed in any other hotel in Sorrento so cannot compare it to standards elsewhere.

I think the Vittoria is supposed to be gorgeous and was right on the main square- I think if we were to come back, I would stay there next time. Or even better, stay in Capri! Better get saving *GULP*

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Worcestercat
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Staying at the Bristol Hotel is always like coming home !!!!

I am coming already many years in this hotel and from the staff off the reception till the cleaning ladies, they are all very friendly and treat me as a part of there family.

The hotel is very well located, with nice views over the bay of Napels.

The rooms are elegant and very comfortable, the restaurant offers for the half-pension
clients a nice menu.

The swimmingpool with its very nice view, is a place to stay, when you like to have a lazy day.
Have lunch, with a nice wine, choosen out off the selective wine-card, on the roof terrace.

After that, a little nap on the comfortable sun-beds and you will have a perfect day !!!

Prepare yourself for the evening and start with a nice aperitive ( from champagne till
a great choice of cocktails ) in the bar of the hotel, with off course, the beautiful view
all over the bay again. On several evenings there is some life romantic music, performed
by a pianist.

Like I mentioned before, the Bristol Hotel is "HEAVEN ON EARTH"!!!!

Sorrento and surroundings have many things to offer for the international travellers, culture, history, and very good restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Lovely hotel that's all about the view. If you stay here you must get a room with a sea view.
Staff were nice and friendly. Hotel spotlessly clean.
Pool area and gym were great as were the relaxing lounge areas where you could lie out and read many of the books and mags that are to be found all over the hotel.
Room was big and bright, with seperate seating area,. Bathroom was nice, had a jacuzzi bath and shower. Mini bar was well stocked too.
Food was a bit disappointing to be honest. Not sure how to describe it, but it's all a bit "tired"? Reminded me of a 1970's cookbook! Though if you stick to the fresh local produce such as fruit at breakfast and salads at lunch/dinner you can't go too far wrong.
The location is great, again it is up the hill and has fab views. Not sure I would recommend it to older people as they may not like the walk up hill from the town centre.

Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roundy77
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We fell upon this hotel trying to lengthen our stay in the Sorrento area last minute. We LOVED every minute in this hotel. A ten min walk from the main street filled with luxury shops, nightlife and family shops. A pool on the roof deck was PERFECT! The scenery from our room was like a movie, breathtaking. The front desk was always happy, upbeat, accommodating and approachable! The rooms very clean and the food was spectacular. Esp for lunch! For last minute guests we felt like a king and queen here. The best place for dinner drinks is on their deck. We brought a deck of cards and made many friends that stayed there as well. A lot of them were returning guests! For the amount of people near the pool it was very peaceful. They have some rules so be sure to read the hotel book before you venture around. The hotels garden was also a sight to see! a great place to take pics of the bay and local plants/herbs!!!! we highly recommend a stay here for 4 star treatment!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Possibly entertainment could be every night in high season, entertainment provided was good.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends