“Stunning Views,Stunning Service”

Ranked #16 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Camberley,Surrey
“Stunning Views,Stunning Service”
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Our 6th visit to Sorrento and easily the best and friendliest hotel at which we have stayed. From the moment we came through the doors on arrival until the moment we left 17 days later we received service of the highest quality from the reception staff to the bar staff to the restaurant and pool staff to the ladies servicing our room.The uninterrupted views of the bay of Naples from most of the bedrooms, the bar,terraces, restaurant and pool area are outstanding.Our 15 year old son and 10 year old daughter thoroughly appreciated not only the excellent swimming pool bot also the outdoor table tennis and crazy golf in the very well maintained grounds.The food we ate was of the highest quality particularly the breakfast buffet and lunch specialities on the outdoor terrace.

The bedrooms overlooking the sea are spacious with all the facilities you would expect of a hotel of this class

An easy 15 minute walk into the heart of Sorrento brings access to not only the fine shops but also to the railway for viisits to Pompeii, Herculaneum and Naples and to the harbour for trips to Capri,Ischia,Positano,Amalfi and Naples

We have already booked to return next year and we can hardly wait

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (809)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dublin
Reviewed 19 August 2009

We loved our stay here. The hotel is charming and the staff, from the reception desk to cleaning, were so friendly and welcoming. Our room (spacious and nicely decorated) was perfectly located beside the terrace and the pool. We requested a room with a balcony and a sea view... and the view was breathtaking, what a view to awaken to!!
We chose to stay on a B&B basis so that we could try a new restaurant every night and I think we made the right choice. Breakfast was good... lots to choose from and the waiters were friendly and attentive. Most evenings we enjoyed a pre-dinner drink in the bar and again the view is breathtaking, something you will never tire of while
staying here. The pool area is lovely too. We highly recommend this hotel, it is excellent.

The guys on reception recommended two restaurants to us... Il Buco and Relais Blu. Both serve fantastic food. Relais Blu is very special... and the restaurant organise a car to collect you from the Bristol hotel and to drop you home at the end of the night. The surroundings, the view and the food are amazing... an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed 17 August 2009

I came with my Husband and my 1 and a half year old daughter and 3 year old son and we all had an amazing time! The food was one of the best in Sorrento and the pool is perfect for my kids and us grown ups. The view is also spectacular from the hotel! They accomadated us so well last minute since they had no clue we were coming with and infant and provided us with a cot at no extra charge (which most hotels due) and were so kind to comp us for my daughters food since she was under age! They behaved so well with us. We were fortunate to meet the owner whom was a very gregarious gentleman! We can't wait to come again next year. Thank you to all the great staff as well.

ireland
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We stayed in the Bristol for 1 week and also had our wedding reception there. We enjoyed a junior suite-Villa Bianca which was situatated at the rear of the hotel. The views were excellent & the room itself was perfect. The outside area included a fridge, hotplate, hammock & jacuzzi - over looking the bay of Naples. It suited us perfectly but there are quite a few steps (60ish) which would not suit some, i.e. elderly people.
We found the staff fantastic, friendly & helpful with everything. The wedding reception (27 guests) was everything we could have wished for, and more. The food was first rate, enjoyed by everyone. Service was great too.
Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, location only 8 mins walk from main street, great views,excellent food, highly recommended. Hope to return in the future.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 16 August 2009

I have been going to the Hotel Bristol for 30 years and it really is like returning to visit familly.
The staff are very welcoming and genuinely friendly and will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. They are polite and efficient and provide faultless service, nothing is too much trouble.
The hotel is situated just outside the centre of Sorrento and takes only five minutes to reach.
The spectacular views overlooking the Bay of Naples are breathtaking and to have Vesuvius in the background is so unique.
Everything is immaculate and kept spotlessly clean and you will not be disappointed with the rooms. They are kept to a very high standard and are spacious and light . The air conditioning provides a lovely escape from the heat of the mid-day sun.
Breakfast and lunch are served on the roof terrace where there is so much choice you won't know where to start. You can just relax and be served by the attentive waiters and take in the beautiful scenery. There is an a la carte menu for dinner with lots of traditional dishes including fresh fish and pasta and the Arancini are the best!
The large well kept swimming pool is surrounded by plenty of sunbeds where you can soak up the sun and recharge your batteries.
The main bar in the hotel is the ideal place for aperitives or afterdinner drinks, with a balcony where you can sit out and take in the view or alternatively enjoy the varied entertainment inside.
This is an exceptional hotel and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone as it is first class and well worth every penny! I, myself am in the hospitality business and therefore fully appreciate all their hard work to make this the best hotel in Sorrento. That is why I return every year, along with many other happy guests.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
UK Resident
Reviewed 15 August 2009

I have just returned from Sorrento with my wife and young daughter and we selected the Hotel Bristol on a half board basis via Citalia. The reviews on the hotel seemed good so we thought it was a safe bet. Everyone that I knew who had been to Italy said it was expensive so the half board option seemed to be better value.
When we arrived at the destination (about 3pm) the views of the harbour from the hotel were absolutely breath-taking. The hotel was nice and cool - being 32 degrees outside it was a welcome relief. We checked in and were taken to our room - which was fabulous - it was on 2 levels - the upper level was a large balcony with stunning views of mount vesuvious - it was just perfect for what we wanted and worth the upgrade to Junior Suite. A travel cot had been set up and the air condition was keeping the room to a nice temperature. All the usual refurbishments - TV (with poor satellite reception and limted choice - i hope you like bbc world news), safe, fridge and lounge area plus another small balcony with 2 chairs and table. At this point I was grateful I had read the other trip advisor reports and felt very pleased with myself.
So we felt a bit peckish and quickly located the pool bar and snack area on the 7th floor. You walk through a good selection of recliners and soft seats to chill out on and a scattering of books were on display. So far so good. I couldnt help but notice though that there are some large gaps underneath some of the balcony railings through which our little one could easily fit through and I need not tell you fellow parents how unnervy that makes you feel when its a 300 ft drop off the mountain edge onto the road. My wife quickly grabbed our infant daughter by the hand and held on to her for dear life. We wouldnt be chilling out in this area for long then!
The pool area can be accessed via a few steps and we found it was pretty packed (note you have to bring your own towel or hire one as you cant use the hotel towels on the lounger). We ordered a couple of toasted sandwiches from the very limited menu and a couple of diet cokes. Be prepared for expensive prices and the food is very basic and quite tasteless.
We then headed into Sorrento town - what a lively place with loads of gift shops which will keep you occupied for a while. Ice cream parlours are a plenty as are restaurants in the main square. The train station is a bit further down which you can catch a train to naples or pompeii for about 12 euro each return.
If you want to go anywhere by the ferries/sky cats - i.e Capri (which is stunning) or Naples then its a long walk down steep steps (you will have to carry your push chair! phew that is hard work). When you get down the steps you will find a small selection of bars and shops to keep you occupied whilst you wait for your ferry.
Anyway - so back to the hotel - the evening meals were very disappointing. The food was in the main tasteless, quickly prepared, basic and in hinsight definately not worth the money we paid to upgrade from B&B to half board. What we werent told until we checked out was that the half board basis did not include any meals for the infant! Therefore we had been incurring a charge each night for meals for our daughter at around 6Euros a go - which for a few bits of watering pasta in thin tomato sauce was a bit of a shock to say the least as we were never asked to sign any bills at our table. So make sure you get this checked out with your travel agent before you travel - you have been warned!
After a few evenings you begin to get wise what food is better to chose from- trial and error im afraid but if you like soup then you're ok for the starter - main course is hit and miss. We had very salty pasta which we couldnt eat on one night, and the grilled chicken which was about the only meal which looked like it had been cooked fresh was undercooked and red on the inside. When i later challenged the manager over this (as I checked out) - he said "well that was only 1 night when the chicken wasnt cooked" as if that was acceptable! You are restricted to 2 sweets each night - these werent too bad but nothing special. For a country which is renowned for its pride in its cooking and food, im guessing the chefs hadn't much of a care for their reputation as it was the only thing that let the hotel down. (We found an area where you can get information on the various travel agents and the wall was scattered with various framed awards from about 10 years ago - which was probably when it was in its prime. But nothing recent.) Bottles of wine start from around 25 euros and as we werent much of wine drinkers we stayed on the bottled water and coke.
Breakfast was not much better - bread was dry, pears were starting to turn with black bits, glasses werent cleaned properly on a couple of occassions - but there is plenty to chose from - you just need to do your own quality control. They do provide you with a choice of cooked eggs but they dont seem to ask you if you want them you have to discover for yourself that they are on offer.
The restaurant staff are very polite and efficient - you are ushered to your table very promptly and there are lots of tables so more than enough room for all the guests. If you want a table over looking the harbour get there early as they are the first seats to go.
They have a comments book in the restaurant which they ask you to fill in when you leave and we were quite astonished to find that there were no negative comments about the food which considering we spoke to a number of fellow hotel guests which shared our opinion, no-one seemed to comment on it in the book. Perhaps its the British way not to complain and turn the other cheek - but its in the hotels interest to take on board any issues so they can address them for the future - so we made a brief comments about the food being a bit disappointing and then promptly left our table as they restaurant manager had a habit of reading each comment after they were written (making me suspect that he knew there was a problem but couldnt work out why no-one was brave enough to comment!)

Actually, the staff in the hotel were all very polite and accomodating and they all made an extra effort to welcome you and say "ciao" all the time. Ive rated the staff 5/5 as all the customer facing hotel staff were very friendly and are a credit to the italians in my opinion.

I would recommend this hotel to my friends - but I would tell them not to go half board unless the hotel improve their standards which I am sure subsequent trip advisor reports will confirm one way or another. The downside however is that you have a 20 min each way walk into Sorrento each night to get your meal which for some may not be ideal.

There didnt seem to be many hotels we saw that looked on the outside as good as this one - with the exception perhaps of the excelsior vittoria which shadows the harbour and looks a prime spot.

Hope this was helpful as it was my first ever feedback and I may have got a bit carried away for most!
Ciao

2 Thank ChaplinTraveller
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2009

There were some good things about this hotel and some not so amazing things.

Location
You can't help but be overwhelmed by the location of this hotel (as long as you have avoided being run over by the crazy Italian drivers outside the hotel!) because of the amazing views. The cliff top, ocean scene is practically thrust upon you (and why not?) when you sit down to dine or have breakfast.

Upon arrival
We were greeted politely by the staff at reception and they were helpful when we needed them. We had a great room with plenty of space, upgraded to a junior suite through the people we booked with.

The room
The decor is stuck in a time warp but is not offensive just a little odd in places like the chandlers in the dining rooms. If you want me to be really particular, the room could have been more comfortable as I did not sleep well either beacuse of the bed (I am not normally a light sleeper!) or the noisy, ineffective air conditioning, but anyway, that is for those of you that want really specific detail. I did get worried about a safety issue in the room (which turned out to be nothing) but the hotel dealt with it straight away which I was pleased about.

The disappointing part
Firstly, I would like start by saying, I liked the cabbage, the corgettes and the potatoes I had on one evening. We had paid for half board so presumed we would be getting food cooked to order as you do from restaurants with a menu. However, it became clear that the mojority of the food is either a) something I could have chucked together in seconds e.g. tomatoes stuffed with tinned tuna or b) precooked food (floating in watery-sauce sound familiar to any of you who have been there?)- so basically a buffet but served from the kitchen. Now, I don't have a problem with buffet dinners but what I don't appreciate is restaurants 'selling' me food and pretending it is cooked to order. Saying that, I have been to some hotels that also have the most amazing buffets. Basically, I am no Jamie Oliver (my family will vouch for that) but I would have cooked better food at home. Maybe it was something to do with the food having sat there in the sauce for an hour or so before ending up on my plate?
The breakfast was not much better... there were dirty orange juice glasses, and as I sit here now, I can't really think of anything tasty that was available for breakfast apart from cereal and rolls and sometimes we were treated to pancakes with Nutella covered in a thick layer of sugar. *Shudder* The list goes on but I don't have all night to write this and I think you should have enough to make your mind up either way.

I could see the waiters making such an effort to try and give a good service in the dining room. But I don't think calling out at people to come to a table or waving people to a table across the dining room was the way to do it. Maybe the hotel was too busy. It felt like a conveyor belt, I couldn't relax and no matter how personal they tried to make it, it felt totally impersonal and may I say, a little false. The food too.

Alternative option
The walk into the main part of the town is about 10-15 minute so it is a good place to walk in to the main shopping area which has some great little shopping streets. I would say, if you can hack the walk, which is alongside a busy road, then dine out when you can. There are plenty of lovely resturants in Sorrento and it completely changes at night time when the main streets are pedestrianised.

This hotel stop was included in a package with a hotel in Rome so we don't really know the true cost of staying here- it might have been a bargain so then what are we complaining about? It is also worth considering we have not stayed in any other hotel in Sorrento so cannot compare it to standards elsewhere.

I think the Vittoria is supposed to be gorgeous and was right on the main square- I think if we were to come back, I would stay there next time. Or even better, stay in Capri! Better get saving *GULP*

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple