“Icing on the cake of our Honeymoon”
Review of Hotel Bristol

Hotel Bristol
Ranked #14 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 14 October 2009

We stayed at the Bristol Hotel for 5 nights during our honeymoon. It was such a pleasant experience. The hotel is very clean and the staff is very friendly , accomodating and helpful. They always greet you with a smile. They were even kind of enough to have one of their staff members change our flat tire. The Bristol Hotel is located close enough to the main piazza but yet far away so you feel secluded by the Gulf of Napoli. Our balcony room had the perfect view....we woke up each morning looking at Mount Vesuvious. The scenic view looked so beautiful. The food was very good as well. I got so upset that we had to leave....I didn't want to go home. I would definitely come back!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 October 2009

If you want parties on the rooftops and discos until dawn, this is NOT the hotel for you. What you will get is a level of service and quality that frankly I thought was extinct in the hotel industry.
We spent a week here at the beginning of October 09 - thus in the wind-down to the end of season. Other hotels I have stayed at (and I've stayed in a lot around the world on both business and pleasure) things at this point start getting tired and slack.
Not here. We were welcomed with a friendleness, professionalism and courtesy that never flagged throughout the course of the week - nothing was too much trouble. Everyone spoke good to excellent English - I can stumble by in Italian but they wouldn't give me the chance to try.
The hotel was spotlessly clean and very well maintained (yes, the plumbing was fun until you learned it's little tricks but that adds to the enjoyment). Everything worked flawlessly including the airconditioning, and the double glazing and electric shuttering kept out the noise of the traffic.
Be aware if you like to get sticky and sleep with the balcony doors open that the hotel is built against the cliff directly on the main road leading out of the south-west side of Sorrento. Traffic noise can be noticeable (scooters with loud exhausts and buses with horns) but nowhere near as bad as you you get in the living traffic hell outside hotels within the town centre. This sounds bad but actually the location of the Bristol is one of the best in Sorrento, overlooking the Grand Marina and with a ten minute walk in to the town centre.
We were a late booking so unusually we went half board (we normally avoid set menus and like to do our own thing). Absolutely no regrets. The food was of an extremely high standard offering a wide choice with something for everyone. The restaurant staff were impeccible - friendly, competent and working like greased lightning. Asking the wine waiter to recommend a good red wine I got precisely that - and not overpriced (which is always a good test).
Over years I've found that a good indicator of a hotel is whether the locals use it - on three evenings whilst we were there local wedding parties were holding receptions at the same time as guest dinner service - with no detrimental effect on service at all.
The head waiter is extraordinarily good, very polished and running a very tight ship - he could easily get a job if he wanted it in a top line hotel in Rome, Paris or London.
A delight following dinner was to go upstairs (yes upstairs) to the pool and rooftop garden/sun-deck with views over Sorrento and the Bay of Naples. When it got chilly we then went down a floor to the bar (hardly a bar - rather a classic lounge area) for coffee and/or cocktails and to listen to live music - a pianist most evenings but on several nights an accompanied live soloist (tenor). Both the tenor and his accompanist were extraordinarily good (he was also popping in and out singing at the weddings) Sadly, for those going in future he has been picked up by Napoli Opera - just hope the hotel can find somone comparable to replace him.
In writing this I feel I'm probably giving away one of Sorrento's best kept secrets - we met an extraordinary number of people who were on repeat visits to the hotel - and this wasn't second or third visits but instead eighth, ninth or tenth trips to the same place!
This hotel is an ideal spot to relax and unwind and I think it's a real discovery.
Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? Yes
Would I return to this hotel? Without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CAB1201
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We stayed here for the second week of our honeymoon having gotten married in Maratea in Southern Italy. We booked into a suite and were told it was the best room in the house (914). The room was fairly spectacular, Jacuzzi outside on the huge terrace with stunning views of Sorrento. We didn't use the pool as we had our lively toddler with us as well and found it too dangerous for a small child and there was no children’s pool. The room and terrace had tilled floors at times a little dangerous both I and the baby slipped a couple of times. We booked in as B&B, breakfast was good and the staff were very nice and always made a big fuss of our little girl, as all Italians did. We ate twice in the restaurant more for convenience arriving late the first night and starving and one other it was just easier with the baby, food was just OK. There was always a choice of meat, fish etc but with the same veg all round. Found the bar a bit sedate and catering more for the 50/60+ age group that made up the bulk of the hotel guests. We felt we were the youngest guests there. The hotel is close enough to the town and short walk 10/20 mins. We did feel it was a bit of a ropey walk with the buggy at times and the Italians aren't inclined to stop at pedestrian crossings the path gets quite narrow in spots. We took the bus down to the square a few times, the bus stop on Line A is just outside the hotel this was handy when getting to the train station too and much cheaper than the taxis which are really expensive in the area. We did find some lovely restaurants in the town and in spots the place is beautiful. We visited Capri which is worth a look but in general found Sorrento very touristy and far cry from Southern Italy. Overall it was a pleasant trip but I wouldn't be rushing back to Sorrento or with babies/children in tow.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 October 2009

I stayed in this hotel in 1997 and returned for my Honeymoon. In 1997 the food was truly a la carte now its 3* if your lucky.

The hotel now caters for the 60+ crowd with a piano entertainer to satisfy this age group, as we are 35 this wasnt really our tast, its 20 minutes to walk into the centre, more if your a little older I guess.

Its a shame the quality of this hotel has slipped since 1997, the staff are friendly.

No sea view and no honeymoon bubbly / upgrade.

Will return to Sorrent but not the Bristol.

Best tip exchange lunch for evening meal then you can eat at good restaurants in town.

6  Thank PETAL9
Reviewed 6 October 2009

This has to be the best hotel in Sorrento . Upon arrival at the hotel the receptionists come out to greet you and welcome you to the hotel. They are really warm and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The whole team in the hotel are so friendly and helpful. Everything seems to run like clockwork. The food is so good and plenty of choice in all the meals. Matteo and his deputy Pasquale run the restaurant to perfection. Pepe ,Jean Paulo and Mimmo are amazing bar staff. they are also very funny. Our room, 618 was fabulous we called it the Austin Powers room because it is all black and white and huge.
This hotel is a definite must for anybody who is a discerning traveller. To all the staff a big thank you for making our stay so wonderful. We will be back in the Spring.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank fionaChelsea
Reviewed 6 October 2009

We went to the hotel bristol for our honeymoon in september, my first surprise was that we arrived very late at night after 10pm and the staff were ready and waiting to serve us a delicious dinner, they organised all of our luggage while we went straight to the restaurant to eat which is brilliant when you have been travelling all day and just want to eat a god meal. Unfortunately we only had 2 days of our honeymoon and my new husband had an emergency operation in sorrento hospital and was admitted for 10 days. The staff of the bristol, reception, waiters bar staff everyone was amazing in their treatment of me during this time. They litreally could not do enough for me and made my bad experience quite a positive one where i never felt alone while in the hotel. They have every amenity you could imagine which was good news for me as i felt safe and happy to stay in the hotel alone. There is a wonderful pool on the top level of the hotel and beautiful gardens to stroll around. The food was delicious and the choice was very varied, i am a fussy eater and i felt there was something for everyone for both lunch and dinner and it was delicious. A big thank you to Pasquale and Matteo for making me feel so welcome. The bar is a piano bar and i met the most amzing tenor and pianist there, they played there a couple of nights a week and i was shocked at the superior level of the entertainment. and again a big thank you to John Paul and Pepe.Finally the manager Giancarlo took the best care of me and from what i could see was available for all of the guests and interacted with everyone. He should be very proud of his staff and hotel as they are some of the best in the world and we will definately return when my husband has recovered. I really do feel i came as a guest and left as a friend and was sad to leave. There are so many people to mention so i will just say a huge thank you to all satff especially reception. see you soon

1  Thank clazza29
Reviewed 5 October 2009

As a regular visitor to this hotel I feel qualified to say that the level of service at this hotel is exceptional and has been maintained at this level for all of the 10 years we have been visiting.

The hotel is in a perfect position, being just outside the town with amazing views over the bay.

Cleanliness as well as quality of service are of paramount importance to the hotel.

The restaurants are efficiently run with an excellent choice of food which caters for most palates.

We look forward to returning next year, along with many of our friends that we have met there over the years.

Thanks to all the Bristol staff for their continuing levels of high service and friendliness.