Hotel Bristol
  • Beachfront
Hotel Miramare(Sorrento)
La Tonnarella(Sorrento)
2,548 results
All reviewsvilla bianca suitesbay of napleshalf boardjunior suiteour honeymoonstunning viewsbusy roadmarina grandeoverlooking the baylovely hotelrooftop poolevening mealeggs and baconmount vesuviusrestaurant staffroom numbersun loungers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 October 2010

My husband and I celebrated our 40th. anniversary with our 3 daughters and their spouses. We had 4 rooms, all with stunning views and balconies. The rooms were perfect, the staff not only gave us great service but also great advise. We only ate breakfast at the hotel and there were so many choices that no one left hungry or wanting for anymore variety.
Some enjoyed the pool, some the hot tub and we all enjoyed sitting on the balcony of the bar and enjoying a drink with the stunning views after a long day of sightseeing.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2010

First, the Hotel has great views and the staff are a real plus, they are friendly, efficent and eager tp please. Our first room 277 was noisy from traffic as the hotel is very close to the road, also we could hear the guests in the next room.
We requested to be moved and we got a fantastic room 705, but we were charged 30 euro per night extra.
I need to stay in contact with my office but the WiFi in my room did not work the signal was too weak, also I was charged 2 euro per hour for internet access, this annoys me in many hotels its free, also I would expect that in a 4 star hotel I should have WiFi access in my room.
Overall our experience is positive except for the WiFi !

1  Thank captor
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Excellent hotel, stunning views, very friendly staff, beautiful newly-furnished room (616) but without balcony, very good food. I can only confirm the vast majority of reviews.
So I would offer the following other comments.
Celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary, I asked for a window table. We got much more. Special flower, a la carte menu and cake with anniversary message. Wasn't totally surprised that we were charged a la carte prices - discounted at 60 euros excluding wine. But not told in advance - naughty !
Thomson introductory-walkabout included a restaurant called Parruchiano where everyone was given a 10% discount voucher. This doesn't quite offset the 3.60 euros for 4 pieces of bread, and the 15% service charge.
Foreigners Club. Stunning views and food OK but to make it special, convince the sulky waiters that you're Italian. That way you'll get a tablecloth, attention from 2 waiters and much improved service.
If you're looking for a reasonably-priced meal, of very good quality, go to Bougainvillea restaurant and ice-cream bar, 100 yards from the hospital on Corsa Italia (no connection here, honestly). The Thomson reps eat here, despite their recommendations on the introductory walkabouts, and Royal Carribean (?) bring their tours here at lunchtime. Food quality and prices are excellent.

Reviewed 27 September 2010

I had booked this hotel based on the reviews on trip advisor and was slighlty disappointed with the hotel.

Whilst the views are surperb I found the room whilst clean fairly small and the furnishing average. The food was also average.

It was my 40th Birthday whilst I was away the hotel had been made aware and made no effort at all.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Marycache
Reviewed 27 September 2010

We spent a long weekend at the Bristol Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel is probably past it’s heyday, but they have done a good job in keeping it up to date as possible and giving the rooms a modern feel. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and all spoke excellent English, always an advantage when your Italian only extends as far as grazie.

For the first couple of nights we stayed in a room with a sea view and balcony on the 7th floor which had spectacular views across the bay of Naples to Vesuvius. Room 630 was light and airy with a separate seating area and a flat screen television. The balcony was big enough for table and chairs and two sun loungers. The bathroom let the room down a little as the paint was peeling above the tiles in the shower. However, it was all spotlessly clean and had a big rainfall shower. For the last night we upgraded to a junior suite a couple of doors down the hall (room 625) which although very spacious had a more dated feel too it. There was a separate lounge with flat screen TV and DVD player, bedroom and a big bathroom complete with robes and slippers. Our favourite aspect was the Jacuzzi on the balcony which had even better views than our first room. Sitting in the Jacuzzi on the last night looking out over Sorrento and across to Naples was one of the highlights of the weekend for us, There was also table and comfy chairs as well as a covered sofa on the balcony. My only complaint about the suite was that I was more aware of the traffic noise as the Bristol is on a busy road, and the suite didn’t have double glazed doors.

We stayed half board and the restaurant was OK. The best bit was eating looking out at the spectacular view. Breakfast was excellent. Lots of food and hot food cooked on request. We ended up eating so much at breakfast that we only needed a small snack late afternoon to see us through until dinner! Dinner choices were more limited and I imagine it could get a bit samey over a longer period of time. The service was good and food arrived almost immediately after ordering, although some nights this made me feel like I was being rushed through dinner. The food was good, but most evenings we were ravenous and probably would have liked a bit more of it. There is a bar on the 7th floor where you can sit out in the evening to relax and enjoy the views. There was usually some form of musical entertainment, which although inoffensive wasn’t exactly to our taste.

The pool area had lots of sun loungers but it lost the sun fairly early and the same was true on our balcony, so after a day out sightseeing there wasn’t anywhere for us to sit and enjoy the last of the afternoon sun. The gym is basic with a single treadmill, an exercise bike and a stairmaster as well as some weights and a punchbag, but everything worked.

The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the centre of Sorrento and it is uphill on the way back. Being more central would have been nice, but then the hotel wouldn’t have had the views which really made it stand out for us. There are bars and restaurants only a few minutes walk away from the hotel, but we didn’t get a chance to try these out.

Pompeii and Vesuvius are really easy to get to without going on an organised excursion. When we were there in September, a return train ticket to Pompeii was just over €3 each from Sorrento and the trains were every half an hour. The train took about half an hour and the entrance to the ruins was a short walk down the road from the station. Entrance to Pompeii was €11 each and we got 2 audio guides for €10. The buses to Vesuvius pick up from directly outside the station and we got our ticket at the station. The bus to Vesuvius took between half an hour to an hour from Pompeii (depending on traffic and whether the bus driver is trying to break the land speed record or not) and cost €10 each plus a further €6 to get into the crater national park. The walk up to the top was quite steep, but the views from the top made it worthwhile. We made it up in about 20 minutes at quite a brisk pace as we were pushed for time, but it probably takes half an hour if you have a more leisurely stroll. Check the return bus times before you leave, the reason we were rushed was that after getting the 12.30 bus from Pompeii we discovered that if we didn’t get the 14.50 bus back we would be stuck there until 16.40. Apart from the walk up the volcano there isn’t really much else to do apart from spend money on over priced food drink and tacky souvenirs.

After a long weekend in Sorrento, we have seen enough to want to go back at some point and we would be more than happy to stay at the Bristol again in the future.

5  Thank the_girl_shelby