Just arrived back from my honeymoon at the Aminta. My views on the hotel are as follows:-
1) Staff simply 5 star.
2) Poolside and Bar area very relaxed. Sunbeds 4 euro but must be pre-booked. Bar has a selection of drinks, Cocktails 6 euro and a beer 4 or 5 euro. Live music Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
3) Restaurant serves a variety of excellent Italian food. Dinner - choice of four starters including Fruit Juice, Soup, Salad or Chefs Pasta special. Main courses has choice between fish, meat and game with a veg alternative. Desert - choice of three sweets.
Breakfast - Cereals, Fruit juice, Pastries, Rolls, Fresh Fruit, Yogurt, Continental, Scrambled eggs etc additional 6 euro.
Don't miss the Gala night.
You need to request a table outside for your evening meal at breakfast time. Stunning view over the Bay of Naples as you dine.
Wine at dinner - try the Aminta, at 10 euro a bottle it is the cheapest but certainly of a good standard.
4) Free shuttle bus down into Sorrento from just outside the hotel. First bus leaves 9.00 last bus back 11.30. Times staggered through out the day with an afternoon break, but if you want a night out in sorrento you will need to miss evening meal as this starts at 7 and next bus is 7.30 followed by 8.30. My opinion is that the times are organised to try and keep you in the Hotel.
5) Trips out - great value, the mini cruise to of the Isle of Capri (swim in the med) followed by drop of at Positano (a must) or Amalfi. Pompei must do yourself - train to Pompei scavi 3.7 euro return for two. Pompei entrance 200 yards from station and great cafe just outside the station (share a pizza). Entrance 10 euro with a radio guide 5 euro. Naples well worth a visit during festival.
6) Free internet ask at reception.
7) Rooms - good and clean. Serviced every day, with fridge including mini bar (expensive). Great views of the Bay if you get seaview. The achillies heal is the noise, you can hear the two rooms next to you and the cleaner as she arrives early in the morning. Air con noisy. This is the big draw back for the Aminta. Take earplugs for good sleep.
8) Sorrento - expensive but head quickly to the supermarkets in the town for reasonable provisions. For example you will buy a small bottle of water for 2 euro in a bar. you can buy six large bottles in supermarket for 1.9 euro. You will need lots of water. Supermarkets have a good range of food, beverages, clothes and gifts. Lots of hustle and bustle in the town but lots to do.
Eating out, average main meal 10 euro in cafe up to 30 euro in restaurant.
Finally we would return to the Aminta, had a great holiday because of the quality of staff, cuisine and setting, all overweighed the one downfall - noise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Aminta occupies a commanding position overlooking the Gulf of Naples with breathtaking views, just 3.5 Km from the centre of Sorrento to which it offers a courtesy bus service. Complimentary breakfast, free Wi-Fi and free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Hotel Aminta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Sorrento
- Hotel Aminta