Grand Hotel Aminta
US$361
US$348
US$283
  • Breakfast included
Grand Hotel De La Ville Sorrento(Sorrento)
US$358
  • Pool
Grand Hotel Ambasciatori(Sorrento)
US$1,701
3,407 results
All reviewsshuttle busbay of naplesevery hourlovely hotelattic roomalways on timestunning viewsthe main hotelhalf boardriviera travelbus servicereception stafftown centretakes about minutesgala nightmount vesuviusevening meal
Reviewed 17 December 2008

My family and I holidayed at the Aminta this year after an enforced two year break from Sorrento, following the birth of our son Thomas. Prior to getting married in Sorrento in May 2006, only my (now) wife Lynn & I had shared holidays there and had been every year since 2002 - every visit was more memorable and magical than the last. Our families came out for our wedding and we had the most amazing time. Since then circumstances have changed and we have had a baby, Thomas, and consequently didn't come to Sorrento and the Aminta in 2007. Having missed the place and people so terribly we decided to contact the owner of the hotel, Gianfranco, whom we have built up a special friendship with over the years to see if it would be possible for us to come over in 2008. I hope Gianfranco doesn't mind me saying that he gave us a fantastic deal on our rooms (one for me, my wife and baby and one for our two older children aged 11 & 14) and also arranged to collect us from the airport and transport us back to the Aminta. This was an amazing gesture and one which we appreciated having booked the flights separately.

Once we arrived back we felt immediately at home. Although this was our 6th stay at the Aminta it never ceases to surprise me how the staff remain almost unchanged every year and always recognise us. This meant that the moment we arrived we all felt completely relaxed which is testament to everyone who works at this wonderful hotel.

As mentioned already, we last stayed at the Aminta in May, 2006 for mine & Lynn’s Wedding when we enjoyed the most amazing two weeks of our lives. We were able to share that occasion with our family & friends but this year was the first time we had travelled abroad with just Ryan, Scott & our latest addition, 17 month old Thomas and we couldn’t wait to give him his first taste of Italy. I am sure it won’t be his last. Even though he won’t remember anything about it I took so much camcorder footage and taken so many photos he will at some point realise what a great time he had!

There is a special place in our hearts for Sorrento and the Aminta and always will be. I proposed to my wife here and we got married here but there are a number of other factors that make it such a special place to us and they are as follows.

The people of Sorrento and the staff at the Aminta. The Italians have a reputation for placing importance on the family and particularly children, which was very apparent during our stay. We were stopped on the streets of Sorrento on countless occasions by locals, complementing us on our beautiful little boy. It was so touching. To our delight and surprise we were also recognised and welcomed back to Sorrento by a number of shop owners and waiters at cafes down in the town. The way of life is very different to what we experience in England where everything is done at a frantic pace and no one has time to enjoy life properly or offer that personal touch/attention to detail. Both of the last qualities are in abundance at the Aminta. It can’t be coincidence that having always asked for sunbeds in a certain place over the years that on recognising us Luigi arranged for our sunbeds to be positioned in the same place without us even asking! This small detail may go unnoticed by some people but to us it’s one of many examples of what makes the whole experience so very special, a feeling that is (and has always been in the past) maintained throughout the whole stay.

The beauty of the area and the many places to visit. I could sit all day long on the balcony of our room gazing out at the views (something I spent a fair amount of time doing when Thomas was asleep in our room during the day and at night). There can’t be many more spectacular sights in the world than those you get from every side of the hotel, whether it be Capri in the distance, Vesuvius across the bay of Naples or Sorrento itself. Looking down at Sorrento is amazing both during the day and at night and I would recommend to anyone to make the 10-15 minute walk down into Sorrento in order to take in the views which are breathtaking. We walked down every day with a buggy and it was no problem – we even walked back up one day although this was because we missed the courtesy bus. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend this if you have a buggy but we made it with a few stops along the way. There are so many lovely little shops and fascinating buildings down some of the side streets in Sorrento that you could spend a week just exploring Sorrento itself. We didn’t do much travelling this time because of Thomas but we did manage a trip to Capri which we also love. However, we hope to be able to come back in the coming years and re-visit the likes of Ischia, Pompei, Herculanium, Vesuvius and Naples which are all steeped in history and are fascinating and beautiful places.

To bring this rather long review a conclusion, Lynn & I would just like to make special mention of a few people. For a start, Senior Michel and his staff in the (very grand) dining room who put up with the noise and mess created by Thomas during our week long holiday! We really appreciated the attention everyone gave to all 3 of our boys, particularly Michel himself, Salvatore and Bo Bo who were all fantastic with Thomas. Because of the way they were looked after, Ryan & Scott have both expressed their desire to come back in the future so it wouldn’t surprise me if it became a family tradition for them as well as us to holiday at the Aminta. We would also like to mention all those who work on reception who were friendly and helpful as always – we’re just sorry to have missed Layla this year! And finally to Gianfranco who helped make our visit possible. Without his assistance in getting us to and from the Aminta and his huge generosity we probably wouldn’t have been able to come back this year. I chatted to a few members of staff about Gianfranco and they all spoke very highly of him and with genuine respect and affection – something which filters through to everyone who works for him and gives the Aminta that special family feel to it.

To summarise, if you want to holiday in one of the most scenic parts of the world, be pampered and looked after by the most attentive and well informed staff, eat great food, drink great wine, visit beautiful places steeped in history, and come back with the most amazing memories and desire to return then look no further than Sorrento and the wonderful Grand Hotel Aminta!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank PhilLeeds_England
Reviewed 9 December 2008

From the time I arrived, to the time I left the Aminta I was treated like a VIP! The staff is top notch; I cannot say enough about them and their excellent service. The dinners were so delicious we ate dinner in the restaurant more times than we went out for dinner. Our room was very clean and spacious and our view of the bay was outstanding! The shuttle took us to the town center and made access to the port very easy. This is the only hotel I will stay at in Sorrento and look forward to staying at the Aminta again!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank LisaCarol2010
Reviewed 8 December 2008

A not funny at all congress-trip with two colleagues turned into delightful experience comparable to participating into a Martini ad. Stunning view of the bay of Napoli, charming restaurant, lovely dinner, and very kind and diligent staff. For the rest, clean and nicely decorated rooms, convenient for working purposes. What a shame I couldn’t stay longer to enjoy of the pool and visit the surroundings... Good pretext to come back one day.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Nanadu
Reviewed 4 December 2008

I could not have enjoyed my stay more at the Grand Hotel Aminta! The hotel is very beautiful, perched above stunning Sorrento with breathtaking views seen from their lovely bar/ restaurant area...a wonderful spot to just relax and enjoy a marvelous meal. The staff and service was top notch. So very gracious, accommodating and well informed. I would highly recommend this jewel of a hotel!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Love2travel08Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2008

Where do I begin? From the moment we stepped out of the cab and were helped with our luggage in to the Aminta's fabulous foyer the service was spectacular. We were welcomed with smiles. The Hotel Aminta is grand and spotless. It sits on a mountain side. Our room and balcony were spacious and offered breathtaking views of Sorrento, Naples Bay as well as the hotel patios and pool. Transportation is provided but we opted to walk the pathways to Sorrento. Now let me tell you a little about the staff. ALWAYS ready to take care of your every need. Breakfast includes your choice of eggs and meat, plus juices, coffee, tea and a huge buffet of pastries and rolls. Dinner offers a variety of delicious entrees and desserts. Did I mention the Staff? Fantastic!!! There is a daytime, pooltime and evening bar for the most discriminating drinkers. Did I mention the Staff? Wonderful!!! Please stay at the Aminta. You won't be disappointed. I want to pack my bags and run to the airport. We're already planning a return in May of 2009. Gian Luigi you are the Best. Thank you. M M

• Stayed: October 2008