Just got back from 7 nights in Sorrento, staying at the Grand Hotel Aminta. A few things to bear in mind when booking.
1) Adequate, 3-star, accommodation. Don't expect plush. I was disappointed as I was expecting a bit more due to it's 4 stars. So much choice in Sorrento. Rooms were basic - for example, hand-held shower in the bathroom, very small tv - 15 inch - in the bedroom and no tea/coffee making facilities. Pay extra for a balcony and sea view.
2) Breakfast is continental - choice of 4 cereals, toast and lots of cakes/pastries. Juices and tea/coffee available. Eggs are available but you have to pay extra.
3) Charges to use the room fridge and room safe. Charges to use the sun loungers by the pool. Towels are not provided at the pool so bring a beach towel to use at the pool.
4) There is a rural path into Sorrento from the hotel. This path is very steep - don't expect a gentle stroll into town. Bring your trainers and/or hiking boots. However, there is a hotel shuttle bus going to/from the hotel several times a day.
5) We booked half board - remember that drinks are not included - even coffee after the meal is charged at 3 euros per cup.
6) No air conditioning in the bedrooms until mid June. We slept with the balcony door open due to the heat. However, the hotel is located on a major road so if you are a light sleeper you will be disturbed by the traffic noise and constant car horns.
In conclusion - hotel is fine, just not special, and I unfortunately cannot recommend it. If I came back to Sorrento I would not stay at this hotel.
Excursions recommended - Capri, Amalfi, Positano, Pompei, Mt Vesuvius & Ercolona, Sorrento.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Aminta occupies a commanding position overlooking the Gulf of Naples with breathtaking views, just 3.5 Km from the centre of Sorrento to which it offers a courtesy bus service. Complimentary breakfast, free Wi-Fi and free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TravelUp and Agoda so you can book your Grand Hotel Aminta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Sorrento
- Hotel Aminta