“Fantastico”
Review of Grand Hotel Aminta

Grand Hotel Aminta
Ranked #23 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Without a shadow of a doubt the fantastic staff make this a holiday to remember. My wife and I spent two wonderful weeks in the Aminta in August and had a great time. The Aminta is set in the hills overlooking the bay of Naples, breath taking views during the day and so "romantic" in the evenings.

Allow me to get the bad bits out of the way first:

The rooms are small but that seems to be normal in Italy. What we call "3 star" at home is classed as "4 star" in Italy.

You are not in Sorrento, you are in the hills, so it's either a €30-40 taxi fare, a half hour walk or the courtesy bus. The bus was always busy but we were never left behind. The times however are crap and the last bus home is like a cattle market. Forget about forming a queue only the British and Irish seem to do that!

The road outside the hotel can be a death trap with buses, lorries, vans, cars and those horrid vespas with a family on board zooming from every direction.

Those are my only complaints and the hotel can't do very much about the road outside. None of the complaints dramatically impacted on my holiday and you do get used to it all, though watch out if you hate queue bumping :-)

The sun was hot averaging around 30-35 degrees during the day and around 25-30 degrees at night. Believe me this is constant heat and an absolute joy. There is a nice breeze most evenings around the hotel, but if you make a trip to Sorrento, bring a fan, you will need it.

If you fancy a day at the pool book your bed the day before. Yes there is a charge but I like this idea as it stops the clampets who put a towel down on a bed and turn up at 3 o'clock to claim their spot. We never had any problem getting a bed and they are well maintained and towels are supplied.

There are two pools, a splash pool and a main pool. The temperature is simply perfect, enough to cool you down and not freezing when you hop in. The larger pool is rather deep though so if you can't swim use the splash pool as it is a safer depth.

The pool bar is quality and the bar staff give you a 5 star service both day and night!

The FOOD at the hotel is simply to die for. I have eaten in many places in Italy and this food I promise you is good, with plenty of variety and served by waiters who are both courteous and very well presented. If you still struggle to pick something from the menu then they will try their best to somehow accomodate you.
There are about a dozen tables outside, and if you fancy that book one in the morning with the head waiter at breakfast.
We read on other reviews that we would have to share a table but found that not to be the case for us as a couple. I don't think it would have troubled us too much had that been the case.

You will love Sorrento, especially if you like to shop, eat, drink and go to shows. If you don't do any of these on a holiday then I am not sure what to say. There are no beaches but they do have these bathing decks down on the rocks. They are a long way down and VERY expensive, expect to pay €25-30 per day for 2 beds and a brolly and then walk 1,000 steps back up to the main streets.

Is Sorrento expensive? I guess that is a relative question so better to give some examples I think:

Typical bottle of House Wine is around €8-10
A meal with say a starter and main course and a bottle of wine for two is on average €0-60
A pint of local beer is around €3-5 depending where you stop
Clothes vary from cheap to "Oh my God" prices

It is a lovely town but the car pollution is bad and the driving is beyond the realms of normality, but I find that again is the Italian way. Never step on a zebra crossing with any expectation they will stop as that will be a life changing experience.

In summary, great hotel, fantastic staff, great food, great weather and lovely people at the hotel and Italians in general. Main downside was the road outside the hotel, the rip off taxis, the shambolic driving and the pollution of exhaust fumes.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheIrishRambler

Reviewed 17 October 2009

The hotel enjoys a spectacular views of the Bay of Naples from almost every position, particularly the terrace and restaurant. We found the staff very polite and helpful and the hotel tranquil and relaxing. On arrival we were warmly greeted and our luggage was delivered promptly to our rooms. Rooms are spacious, clean and well equipped and the balcony was a lovely place to sit and watch the sunset.
We enjoyed swimming in the pool (despite the initial shock of the cold water) as it is quite big and nearly always empty! We booked and paid for a sunbed a couple of times but you can use the (very comfortable) deckchairs for free. There is also lots of comfortable seating n the terraces (where you can sit and read and enjoy the lovely views).
We stayed at the hotel on a half-board basis and thought that the quality and choice of food available for dinner was excellent. We appreciated the waiter service (the staff were efficient and very pleasant) and the atmosphere was peaceful and relaxed. It was a challenge to eat everything on the gala night; all of the food was delicious! (three of our party are vegetarian and the staff were very happy to provide vegetarian options on request). A very talented pianist with a lovely voice played and sang while we ate dinner.
The hotel offers an extensive wine list (many are very reasonably priced) and we enjoyed sampling some of the locally produced vinos.
We made use of the hotel courtesy bus to go into Sorrento but it was very nice to escape from the crowds at the end of the day and return to a more tranquil environment.
The only down side was the road (and hence traffic noise) beside the hotel, but nearly all the hotels have the same problem as they are built into the hillside and space is limited.
The hotel is tastefully decorated and furnished throughout with lovely flowers, lemon and olive trees on the terraces and in the garden.
We enjoyed our stay very much and should we return to Sorrento we would choose to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2009

We spent 4 nights at the Aminta last weekend and I have just reread the reviews here on Trip Advisor and all I can think is that I am very fussy or we went to a different hotel accidently.

What did we like?
The room was clean and we had a balcony overlooking the front of the hotel and the sea
The staff were generally pleasant - but nothing amazing
I really liked Sorrento - it was our first visit and I thought the town was more interesting than I had expected however I was surprised by the number of tour parties - generally off cruise ships - forming pavement hugging crocodiles all over the place - not just in Sorrento but in Pompeii and on Capri as well.

What did we not like?
The food was nothing special and the restaurant itself reminiscent of 1980s Benidorm. I reread with amazement the rave reviews by a couple of visitors - we were on B&B basis and as we didn't arrive at the hotel until around 5pm we decided to eat in the hotel on the first night. As I pushed open the door of the dining room one of the waiters curtly asked if we had booked - no we hadn't but we hadn't realised that you needed to and there were several empty tables. Eventually we were allowed to sit down and given both the set menu and the a la Carte menu and we struggled to identify anything we wanted to eat. Eventually we decided on the a la Carte and had an OK meal which came in at €65 excluding drinks - not good value at all.

The room was fine but the beds were the hardest I have ever slept on. If you like firm beds then this is the hotel for you.

All in all this hotel reminded me very much of package holiday hotels I visited years ago in Spain and Tenerife - which isn't what I wanted or expected. I appreciate that people want different things from their holidays and there did seem to be a lot of satisfied people at the hotel however it isn't somewhere I would return to.

One final point - the Gala night - Sunday night was our final night and we had a late lunch elsewhere (it was fabulous and less expensive than the first night in the hotel restaurant) and returned to the hotel to share a bottle of wine whilst sat outside near the pool reading our books. Inside the dining room the Gala evening was in full swing. 2 young women dressed in some Italian national costume were dancing in the centre of the room and as we watched fascinated and deeply thankful we were on the other side of the window they started to pull people to their feet and it all ended in a long conga. Not my cup of tea but it might be yours - if so, enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bevandmark2
Reviewed 16 October 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Hotel Aminta for 11 nights and thoroughly enjoyed the stay. The hotel staff were excellent, friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. The food - breakfast and dinner was first class with a varied dinner menu.
Daily charge of 4 Euro for a sunbed was disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2009

his was the first that we had considered going to Italy for our annual holiday. The hotel was recommended by our travel agent so I was happy to take their advice. Although not in a central position in Sorrento, you can walk into Sorrento within 15 to 20 mins, although the return waalk is very much up hill, so we used the hotel courtesy bus.

Overall the hotel is excellent. The rooms are comfy, the hotel staff are very friendly and most importantly the food is delicious with plenty of choice.

I would have no hesitation in returning to this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2009

This hotel was a real gem to find. Great rate from hotels.com at $131 and they threw in free upgrade with bay view and big breakfast. Free parking and a car made it real nice to explore many places. Avis in town had nice rate of $318 including insurance. In Pompeii we found parking on street by entry at 1 euro per hour - avoid scam expensive lots. Aminta had friendly informative staff. Nice clean place, Pool not heated which would have made more enjoy it. Nearby Massa Longhese?? had nice sice roads to sea and hilltop views to explore and picnic. I say - go here and enjoy Amalfi. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank rtfax
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Just came back. We got a room which someone already smoked there before, we asked and got a clean-air room, and at great location (room 306).
Breakfast in our case (booked via booking.com) was included the "extra" version with cooked eggs, better coffee etc..

There is a shuttle+SITA BUS every 15 minutes, so if you don't rent a car, it's not a problem. Totally great value/money.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family