“Holidaying in Sorrento? - This is the place to stay”
Review of Grand Hotel Aminta

Grand Hotel Aminta
Ranked #25 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Extended family - party of seven - travelling to Italy from England and Scotland and meeting up to share and enjoy family time together:
We returned yesterday from a beautiful and memorable holiday in Sorrento and much of our enjoyment is owed to this hotel. I have read some mixed reviews and I guess it`s each to his own - but I can not think of one thing that didn`t hit the mark as far as service, cleanliness etc were concerned. Yes - the bar bill at the end may have had me raising my eyebrows a little!!! But - that was our choice. We did get water, milk and soft drinks in town occasionally to save the pennies. I always take a kettle where ever I go in the world so I can do my own tea and coffee and the milk tastes just fine.
The restaurant and bar staff were outstanding - friendly, fast, efficient and soon learned our preferences with drinks etc. My Son celebrated his 17th birthday and they went out of their way - without us asking - to make the occasion special.
We stayed half board - and I thought the food was very good. A good choice at breakfast including toast, cereals, pastries, cakes, croissant, yoghurts, fresh fruit and always egg cooked in a variety of formats, bacon and sausages.
A sufficient choice at dinner - not always things I would have picked if in a restaurant but tasty and hot and always served under silver domed covers which were lifted off with flair by the waiters.
We had quite a few lunches at the hotel - tasty salads were enjoyed.
We did eat out a couple of times too - The Foreigners Club (which you are taken to on your Thomson Walkabout and meeting) and we also enjoyed a very special evening - combining a breath taking view and delicious food at the Bellevue Syrene. What a treat.

We had a day down in Marina Grande - Delfinos. relaxed on the bathing platform, swam in the sea and had lunch. A great place to watch the world go by - lots going on.
They had a concert there one night too.

Reception were always helpful and friendly and jolly and when walking around the hotel - we were always greeted with a smile and a hello.
The ladies who looked after our room - kept it spotless and were also always smiling and friendly.

The pool was a comfortable temperature and the surroundings tidy and clean. the deck chairs were plenty comfortable so we didn`t worry about the sun beds. I would think at particularly busy times it would be a good idea to reserve the sun beds the night before if you wanted one.
We walked into Sorrento many times - but it is a hot climb back up at this time of year. So we made use of the courtesy bus. And just to emphasise this point - because quite alot of people have complained about the times. This is a COURTESY bus and I, for one, was grateful to have the luxury of not having to go buying bus tickets or trudging back up hill. The bus was always on time and pretty regular. And once, just in our experience, the 12.30 bus was very full, I think because everyone wants to get back for lunch. (there is a gap here of two hours - because, of course, they have a siesta). Anyhow - there was no more room for those waiting on the pavement - so the driver went back to do a second run. I am sure he does that quite alot which I think is very good service.
the local bus also picks up and drops off very close to the hotel.
To top it all - what a fabulous view. We had a balcony on the roof near the bar - and the windows are double glazed so we could listen to the outside sounds if we wanted or close the door and wallow in silence and air conditioning!
I will admit - the road can be a little noisy. But fascinating in itself - one morning we listened to a lady practising her singing on her moped. We could hear her making her way up the hill - la la la ing - getting louder was she drew nearer!! You`ve got to watch some of the driving - scary.
Highly recommend the Amalfi drive - and Ravello. We also took a ferry out to Amalfi, 22 Euros return and made for a good day out. (plenty of choice of boats/ferries at the Marina. Herculaneum is very interesting, well preserved and offers shade for a summer tourist. It was very hot and I would like to come back when it`s a little cooler and spend a day at Pompei and enjoy some of the excellent walks around Sorrento and other nearby towns. Also visit Capri when it is a little less busy.
I do not recommend `Pompei by Night`.
We haven`t done a `package` holiday for quite a few years - having booked independently on the internet etc with long haul flights and hotels. But Thomsom seemed to offer to the best deal for our holiday this year so we went with them. We were not disappointed and Mandy, the Thomson holiday Supervisor who looks after the Aminta was lovely and helpful.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would love to go back one day. Every morning - I stepped out onto our balcony and looked around to take in the wonderful scenery - Vesuvius to my left and the bay of Sorrento displayed in front of me. Afternoons were often spent relaxing in the wicker chairs on the terrace, enjoying a cup of tea or a strawberry milk shake (recommend), reading and watching the activity down in the bay - or checking that Vesuvius wasn`t about to blow!!! Sun shining, service with a smile, feet up and relaxed. What more could you want.
Wonderful.

3  Thank TravelbuddyWorcester

Reviewed 23 July 2010

We read some reviews before booking that said the food was poor. We were staying for B& B only but can confirm the breakfast was lovely. On occasions we ate lunch if we were by the pool and the food was ok, but then there are so many beautiful restaurants in Sorrento that we wanted to get out and explore. Would definitely recommend for the accommodation but we wouldn't return for on a full board basis as they are certainly nicer places to it in the town.

Oh and for a tip, don't pay over the odds for an organised trip to Pompei. The train from Sorrento is direct to Pompei every 30mins, takes 30mins and costs 3Euros each. It stops across the road from the entrance to Pompei. We went by train and saved ourselves 60Euros.

Reviewed 22 July 2010

We stayed at the Aminta in July for the 6th time and once again find the hotel the best we have stayed in for comfort, friendly and efficient staff and fabulous views.
The staff in reception, restuarant and bar are always pleasant and helpfull.
Our room on the pool side of the hotel was very high standard and the view from the balcony of Sorrento and the bay of Naples was breathtaking. especially at night.
The food was very good and the courtesy bus to Sorrento very usefull.
We think the Aminta is very good value for money with Thomson and are supprissed by the critisism in some of the reviews (a small percentage).
We really recommend this hotel and look forward to another visit one day.

Pat and June Flinn
Rochester,
Kent

Reviewed 22 July 2010

We have recently returned from our stay at the hotel Aminta.Upon arrival we were overwhelmed by the stunning views of the bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius.The hotel is fantastic and everyone goes out of their way to please you,everyone is so friendly and made our stay very enjoyable.The courtesy bus was great although you could walk down into town within about 10 minutes,through a scenic path,the bus made things easy,especially on the hottest days,cannot recommend this hotel enough,a big thanks to the hotel Aminta staff.Will definitely stay there again

Reviewed 21 July 2010

It all started when i called from the states to make reservation and Gennaro answered and helped me. Then when we arrived we were greeted as if we were family. We felt confortable from the start. From answering questions to suggesting restaurants to making arrangements for excursions the entire staff at this hotel was awsome. The hotel is located in a perfect location, just outside the center and away from the busy heart of the city and yet so close that one can walk to the historic area ( where most of the action is) or you can wait for a shuttle to take you back and forth.
Our stay at this hotel was just wonderful and can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 16 July 2010

We spent 7 nights here from 28th June. and we were on the 2nd floor in a room with a balcony with a partial bay view. One downside for us was the lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the room and the charge for using the room fridge (3.50 euro's per day). The room was clean but the fittings werre of poor quality and the veneer was lifting on the wardrobe shelf. The batroom was very dark with shampoo sachets and soap supplied as a courtesy. There were a few stray hairs on the wall and the towels were of poor quality (worn/thin). The blanket on the bed was stained and worn which I found surprising as this is meant to be a 4 star hotel. The air conditioning was very welcome as it would have been impossible to get a good night's sleep with the doors/windows open mainly due to traffic noise as the hotel is right beside the road and on a bend so the cars and buses beep every time they go round the corner and nearly every part of the hotel is beside the road (I am surprised that no-one has mentioned this in previous reviews). It is a 5 euro deposit to use the room safe - returnable at the end of your stay. Internet access is free - you need to get a code from reception to access it and it can be a bit intermittent. Everything else that is extra has been mentioned in the 15th June review and is accurate.
As they point out in the review of 15th June 2010 'enough has been said in previous reviews about this hotel', however like them we will just clarify/update a few points as we have also just returned from a Thomsons/Portland holiday here.
The Aminta, we feel, does not justify a 4 star rating - possibly a 3 star plus at a stretch. It certainly has a wonderful view view from the terrace - marred only by the constant traffic noise and beeping because of its proximity to the road leadig into Sorrento. The courtesy bus is fairly regular if operating at somewhat odd and, in the evening, inconvenient times. We agree that the staff were fairly efficient but not particularly friendly and sometimes not very helpful - particularly on reception. They could be somewhat impatient and, having been told by one guest that I spoke to, that they provided stamps for postcards, etc. the receptionist was quite abrupt and said that they no longer did so and advised me to go down into Sorrento to the Tabbachi to purchase one. This is 5-10 mins by the courtesy bus or a 15 minute walk down and a 20-25 minute walk back up! I would have thought that a 4 star hotel could, and should have provided this simple and basic service for guests. The restaurant staff and terrace bar staff were very helpful - particularly when I had to order separate food for the themed night as this is a set menu on both of these nights and I do not eat meat and there was no choice of the main course. On that point though, the food is not great. Most of the fish is frozen and the meat is (I understand from my son and husband) of a poor quality as are the vegetables. The coffee and tea are appalling, possibly because the milk is longlife and not fresh and this taints the taste. If you want a cooked breakfast it is something around 17.50 euro's each per meal as previously mentioned - and for the first few days of our holiday that was indeed the case (although we did not order one). On the 3rd/4th morning it all suddenly changed. Hot food was freely available from the buffet, plus some fresh fruit, at no additional cost. Not entirely sure why this happened but we suspect that several guests complained as the hotel began to fill up and this motivated them to respond to customer requirements and the fact that most guests do not want to feast almost entirely on the huge array of cakes and pastries that were displayed each morning (and barely touched).
We did eat in Sorrento on 2 occasions at Delfino's and Emilia's - both were excellent if you love fresh seafood and cheerful, good service. However, it was very expensive especially as there were 4 of us (parents plus one19 year old and one 21 year old) and the euro is not in our favour (against the GBP) at this time.
The overall standard of the hotel was disappointing and, initially the service was poor but this picked up in the restaurant as the week progressed and a restaurant manager appeared. I appreciate that Sorrento is an expensive area and that the economy in the area is totally dependent on the tourist season as there is no benefits system in Italy apparently - hence the price hiking. However, some of the basic room and facility issues(and the charges for the sunbeds and pool towels) and service issues mentioned above could be addressed, I am sure, with minimal additonal cost to the hotel and this, I am sure, would encourage people to stay within the hotel and use the restaurant and bar facilities more and thu spay them more dividends.

1  Thank Vascot
Reviewed 14 July 2010

We have just returned from a week at the Aminta. We arrived late (around 11:30) at night and were greeted by friendly and helpful staff. Facilities at the hotel were great, the pool area and bar are lovely and the views from the terrace second to none. We only breakfasted and lunched at the hotel as we like to eat in a local restaurants. Lunches and cocktails were great, breakfast had a good and unusual variety of choices from sweet pastries to scrambled eggs.
Staff were extremely helpful.
The hotel is a little out of the town and the walk down relatively easy. Walking back in the heat of the day is not to be recommended, it's quite a climb and it seemed poorly lit at night. The shuttle bus is regular and always on time and the SITA (local bus) stops outside the hotel.

1  Thank noexcessbaggage