“Beautiful hotel but food very disappointing”
Review of Grand Hotel Aminta

Grand Hotel Aminta
Ranked #25 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Stourbridge
“Beautiful hotel but food very disappointing”
Reviewed 11 August 2010

The hotel's location and public rooms are stunning and the staff are very pleasant. The rooms were pleasant and very clean . However we had several niggles, you had to pay if you used the mini fridge for your own drink, the air con went off at midnight, you had to pay for a sunbed by the pool( deckchairs were free) the courtesy bus times weren't very convenient for going down to Sorrento in the evening. Most of all was the food, when the chef cooked Italian and vegetarian it was fine but when they attempted international it was bland and poor and they served roast turkey on their Neopolitian evening!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Surrey
Reviewed 7 August 2010

I was looking forward to staying in this hotel having researched long and hard before I left England. On Trip Advisor, the reviews were excellent so I decided to book the Grand Hotel Aminta for the last leg of our trip in Italy. The plus side of the hotel was undoubtedly the terrace and the amazing views onto Sorrento and the Bay of Naples. Sitting in extremely confortable chairs either during the day or at night time, looking out from the terrace was indeed a wonderful cathertic time, catching our breath after our whirlwind tour of Rome and Venice. The staff were delightful and extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel itself was exceeding good value - the lunch time menu was cheaper than what we would have paid in a restaurant in Sorrento and the drinks were reasonable to.
What spoilt the hotel for me was in fact staying in the Villa. This is a smaller extension to the hotel which you walk through the gardens to get to. However, the Villa itself is extremely noisy. Not from the traffic outside, but by the fact that you can hear conversations next door, the housekeeper filling her trolley outside your room, toilets flushing in different rooms etc etc. At one point, I went upstairs to get my son from his room and heard a conversation - I looked down the corridor and there was no one there, it was just coming from a closed room and I could hear every word. This was not conducive to getting a good nights sleep or would definately not be conducive to a honeymooners first night! The plumbing was old and noisy and this also didn't help matters. The housekeeping also left a lot to be desired. We would come back to find that our glasses were not cleaned or replaced, coffe cups left dirty in the room, the ice bucket was left unemptied (fine we could have done this ourselves, but this is a four star hotel), - all this seems a bit petty, but again, its a four star hotel and you would expect better housekeeping. The Villa is also next to the lemon groves, which is lovely to look out onto, but the irrigation system is also noisy and when the men are working on maintaining the trees, they are sprayed with a pesticide which is not only a nasty smell, but if you are asthmatic, does affect your breathing. On arrival at our first night, we took a bottle of water from the mini bar and this was not replaced until our last day - it wasn't until I went through the itemised bill on the plane going home (yes, I know I should have done this at the hotel) that I noticed that we were charged with the water each night it had not been replaced.
So, generally a good hotel, but I do think that it should not rest on its laurels or its good reviews. The Villa is too noisy and would definately not recommend anyone staying there, but I am not sure what the main hotel is like. Housekeeping was poor, but the value for money and friendliness of the staff and the stunning views probably let these pale into a little bit of insignificance but I think that the Hotel just needs to open its eyes to review the management of the Villa.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank mang0jam
London
Reviewed 6 August 2010

My husband and I just got back from the Aminta. We were very impressed with the cleanliness, food standard and service the hotel provided. The breakfasts were samish but on the whole they were fine. Brilliant base for exploring, the surrounding area is absolutely beautiful. We had a wonderful meal on the terrace on our anniversary and we were so surprised at the quietness of the hotel. It was very peaceful and relaxing.

Our room did not have a balcony even though we paid extra for a sea view which was the only disappointment, but I expect that was our fault and didn't check properly when making the booking.

The hotel provided a shuttle bus down to Sorrento which was very helpful, this was always on time. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

1 Thank MagicNumbe
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2010

This is a lovely hotel - gorgeous setting with wonderful views, attentive, efficient staff, spotless rooms and, considering how expensive this part of the world is, I believe that the food here is more than adequate and good value.

We stayed in the last week of July and had a room with balcony on the 4th floor overlooking Sorrento - just wonderful. Rooms are small, but neat and comfortable. Air conditioning was good and double glazing cuts out any noise from the road. We had a fabulous view, but all rooms at the Aminta have a pleasant aspect as the hotel is not built against the rock face as some other Sorrento hotels are, which have rooms with no views at all.

Reception area, lounge, bar, terrace and swimming pool area are all tastefully and attractively laid out. Apparently the pool is very deep, but there is a smaller splash pool for the less adventurous like myself. The charge for sun beds was not a problem as there are plenty of free deckchairs and we took our own towels.

I personally enjoyed my dining experience. We had the half board option - on other holidays we have always done our 'own thing' and sought out restaurants every evening, but we felt that due to the hotel's location, we should try half board for a change. As a result I wasn't expecting gourmet meals. I was pleasantly surprised. It is true that on the 2 theme nights the food is less good - there is no choice - but it is a fun time with music and a little dancing. I am a quiet person, but I was happy to go along with this. The dinner menu is placed outside the dining room every morning. If you wish to opt out, I believe the hotel will give you a packed lunch instead. We stayed, but we also had 3 good lunches at La Fenice, O'Parrucchiano and Aurora (best Pizzas) in Sorrento. Buffet breakfast was good and now includes a hot option of eggs (usually scrambled), combined with either sausage or bacon or perhaps tomato. I cannot fault the waiter service.

The shuttle bus service works fine if you are willing to get your head around the idea of 'siesta'. There is a gap between 12.30 and 3.30pm. We usually had a late lunch and went back at 3.30pm. One day we went to Pompeii on the train which we found fine - very economical - the entrance fee is 11 euros and the 15 year old was free of charge. Pompeii was great to wander around with audio guides and a free map and small guide book. The Thompson trip would have been too restrictive and costly for us. I did go on the Thompson organised Amalfi Drive with my daughter - lovely views, probably worth the money to see this area once, but it is here that you see the really expensive Neopolitan Riveriera - extra charge for the boat ride not warned about amongst other things.

All in all I loved the hotel. Sorrento is not the most interesting place in the world - Marina Grande is probably the best part - but it is a good base for the Neopolitan Riviera and the wonderful ancient sights. I have rated this hotel highly because I believe it is one of the best options if you want to have the fabulous views in the area and if you take into consideration how expensive this region is.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank coogee_10
Brussels
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Just got back from a 10 day stay at the Aminta. Based on the reviews we had read before our expectations were very high. And I must say : it did not disappoint. The view from the pool & relax area is simply breath-taking. Even on the tenth day it did not wear off. The bus shuttle service to downtown Sorrento is comfortable and always right on time, but the service could be extended, both earlier in the morning ( e.g. from 8.00 AM ) and during the afternoon ( no bus between 12.30 PM and 3.30 PM ). The rooms are spacious and extermely clean, although they need a bit of today's modern touch.
I agree with prevous reviews that the food could be improved. Breakfast could do with a bit more variety, especially the hot parts. Evening dinner offers the choice between three pre-dishes and three main courses, but they chef's choices lack a bit of originality and typical Italian flavour. For us this was not a major issue, because we had booked half-board, so we had a typical Italian lunch in town everyday. In downtown Sorrento you can have a perfect complete lunch ( wines included ) for about EUR 20 mio per person ! Try the Paruchiano on the Italian Corso and ask for a table in the garden.
Several times we did the journey to the town center on foot. Goin down takes about 15 to 20 mins, going up takes about 5 mins longer. The views underway are breath-taking.
Other plusses for Aminta : international telephone calls from your room are very cheap ( about EUR 2 per call ), the hall and vicinity are very spacious and every room had high speed internet access ( if you bring your own laptop ). And for the romantic souls and /or shgopping lovers : the island Capri is only 30 mins away by boat ...
All in all : we will definitely visit Aminta again. Only if dinner is the most important time of your day you might feel just a bit disappointed.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Wimpi
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Thank you to all of the staff for making our stay with you such an enjoyable one. We were with you from the 13th to the 23rd of July 2010 and only wish it could have been for longer.

My wife and I really felt that you run an excellent hotel and it's clear that all of your staff work very much as a team to ensure that your guests have an enjoyable stay.

Our ten days at the Aminta were exactly what we had hoped for and we would not hesitate to recommend your hotel to our friend and family.

Thank you for ensuring that our Holiday was one we will remember for all the right reasons, of happy days in a relaxed hotel which has high standards of customer service and is very well managed. Your hotel captures the atmosphere of this beautiful part of Italy and we will certainly try to return when we can.

Thank you again for a most enjoyable stay.

The food is good the whole hotel is spotlessly clean and all of the staff work hard as a team to ensure the guests are happy and well cared for.
Don't look any further if you are thinking of staying in this area this is the place to stay

1 Thank sheath2010
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2010

My husband & I spent 4 nights at Hotel Aminta. We were pleased. We got what we expected. The hotel website & Trip advisor portray the accomodations accurately. It was a nice stay, not amazing by nice & clean. The staff were great & very helpful. the breakfast had a lot of choice. Next time I'd want to be a bit closer to town. Not right in town, but closer.