“Great stay!”

Ranked #74 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Great stay!”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I can't believe some of the reviews I have just read. We had a lovely stay here in July. The staff without exception were friendly and helpful. Our room was lovely, 306 by the way. Large, with a balcony, which was a bonus, a fridge and hair dryer, also toiletries. Our shower had a slight problem with the shower tray collecting water, but nothing worth complaining about. The breakfast was fairly basic, but we always found plenty to fill us. The evening meals were plentiful, but may be a problem if you weren't keen on pasta, as the starter was often three kinds of pasta, or soup. Luckily we love pasta and after all, we were in Italy. The pool area was very nice, everywhere was kept very clean and the location is superb. One thing I would say, is don't ask for a sea view as these rooms are on the main road and could be quite noisy. At the end of the day, you are in a three star hotel, so don't expect five star facilities.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank David A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
england
Reviewed 10 July 2013

just returned from this Hotel it is the worst Hotel i have ever stay in..All staff are rüde.! the food is terrible certainly Not fresh we were served tin carrots potatos on 2 occasions! rooms are small and tatty the shower cubical overflows . onlY good thing about this Hotel is its SituAtion..

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank shazzadarling

Travellers are raving about these Sorrento hotels

MIAMI
Reviewed 10 July 2013

During my two week trip to Italy, the worst experience was at Hotel Villa Maria in Sorrento. To begin with, they placed me in a room the size of an 8x8 jail cell. It did not even have a window. When I asked at the front desk why they placed me in that room the answer was that they were full. The following day they passed me to another room that was a little bigger but this time when I went to take a shower it was so clogged that my ankles were covered with water. I had to shower so fast that I could not wash my hair because I was afraid water was going to spill out of the bath tub. When I informed Alessandro at the front desk his answer was that they were going to send a plumber. I left and came back after about two hours to find two different people at the front. I told them about the situation and they decided to go to my room and check. When they saw what was going on with the water almost coming out of the shower the answer was that they would not call a plumber for that. The lady took some liquid and dropped it in the drain. Alessandro, from the front desk, was toying with me and lying to me about the plumber the entire day. I got a little upset and explained that it was not healthy or hygienic to shower with clogged water. Their answer was to not open the shower too much. I asked them if the would like to shower like that and their answer was to shrug their shoulders and say they could not do anything. Luckily I did not have to stay in that hotel longer. When I was checking out Alessandro was at the front desk again. I decided to ask for the manager. His reply was that he was not there and that why did I need a manager. He was the rudest person I met during my entire trip.
This is, by far, the worst hotel that I have stayed at my whole life. It is dirty, ugly and the staff is rude. I will never recommend this hotel. I wold not give it even one star. Furthermore, it is far away from the important places, and no one informs you of anything... PLEASE PLEASE do not waste your money in this low class motel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

While the location is good with easy access to the centre of sorrento and free on street parking, the room and hotel were a disappointment. Firstly, our room was in another building, connected to the first but much poorer in quality. The man at the front desk was nice but did not help when he saw our disappointment, and he knew this was our honeymoon and by the way this was not cheap. The room was dark, not particularly clean and the bathroom had creaky / creepy horror film lights, plus the shutters and wall outlets did not work properly.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Benjamin Sarah D
southport
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Hi we have just returned from a weeks stay at Villa Maria with our 25yr old daughter, hotel is nice and clean, rooms small but adequate, only bothered with breakfast 1 morning wasnt up to much, evening meals were nice with plenty of choice, we spent most days around the pool as our daughter was a little unwell, location is good with shops and restaurants nearby, 1 problem they do have is in the pool area and concerns the parasols several have snapped and been repaired with sticky tape and some were blown about when it got breezy an accident waiting to happen, all in all we had a great holiday and would consider this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank crishe
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I went to this hotel with a friend and was pleased to find that it was in a very convenient and central location. the room was comfortable and clean and we enjoyed having a roomy balcony. The staff were professional and did their best to ensure that all was well. However, I do have issues with the evening dinner. The hotel is graded as 4 stars but the food did not reflect this. My friend is vegetarian and most nights she was served with mozzarella cheese in one bland and tasteless form or another. She was given little or no choice. For myself, I thought the evening dinner was quite poor and very small servings. This was not a cheap holiday and I was further shocked that every time we wanted to drink water at the table, our room number was noted and we were charged for it - I simply COULD NOT BELIEVE THIS. One evening I asked for tap water and (although told it was safe to drink) was refused!!!! I have just returned from a trip to Seoul in South Korea and I suggest that the owners of Hotel Capri visit this country and learn how to provide decent meals to their PAYING guests.

Room Tip: You need to ask for full details of what is included in the price. e.g. What extras do I have to pay...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Cumbria
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We went on our first Riviera tour of the Amalfi Coast and stayed at the Villa Maria. Could not fault Riviera or the hotel. The food was very good, breakfast and evening meal & good selection. Staff were very helpful and friendly. The hotel was a 10 minute walk to the center of Sorrento and sea. The rooms were very comfortable, with plenty of storage space and a balcony, bathroom was a good size with plenty of hot water. The room had a well stocked mini bar, but was very pricey. I removed the bar contents on my first day and replaced them with my beer & wine from the local supermarket, I expected to see them removed the next day, but the maid was happy with this, so I left her a tip on our departure. Would recommend and return.

Room Tip: Rooms were a bit noisy from road traffic, but I guess that's just Italy. We were at the front so...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple