“Quite and very nice”
Review of Hotel La Vue D'Or

Hotel La Vue D'Or
Ranked #31 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights and enjoyed it very much. Breakfast was nice but I can't say much for the dinner that we had . Staff is helpful and polite, nice views and very comfortable. There is a shuttle service to and from Sorrento so it is very easy to go to town for the day or dinner for the evening. Very reasonable price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vvegas1
There are newer reviews for Hotel La Vue D'Or

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I really liked this quaint little hotel. The pool was nice and warm and clean. Very close to local amenities. Lovely bar area and great views with Vesuvius in the distance. Food was very good buffet style and catered for vegetarians.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank carricotz
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I will write a factual review of our stay at La Vue D'Or as I would never stay there again or recommend to others. Based on the website stating there was a shuttle bus we lugged our bags the 15min to the pick up spot from the train station and called the hotel to find out when the next one was running to be told it doesn't run between 12- 5.30pm! So our only option due to the location was to catch a cab at 35 euro for a 12min ride.

Finally getting to the hotel, granted I was rather annoyed that the website wasn't specific we were greeted by a pretty rude front desk lady. We asked if there were any room upgrades available to be huffed and puffed at and told she would let us know later that night. Bear in mind I wasn't asking for a free upgrade and happy with a simple 'no sorry we are fully booked' would have been fine. Given our room number & key and get to the room and it is being cleaned. By this point I am really annoyed so we trudge back down stairs to let her know it's not ready. Keep in mind it's now 4.30pm, well after the standard check in time so it should be well and truly ready! We waited another 15min to get in to the room.

Finally get in to our room which is clean & simple, no problems that's what we booked. Check out the bathroom and it is tiny, I mean it was a struggle to wash my hair in the shower it was so tight I couldn't get my elbows up! Also please note i am a size 10 AU and not big. I had to dry off in the room otherwise I was touching the toilet. The shower screen was broken so it was difficult to shut. It was without a doubt the smallest bathroom I have ever seen!

So then we go down to the pool and we are greeted with a sign stating not to take any of your own food in, ok a bit tight but there is a restaurant so they want to make money but then the sign states that includes water!!! Now that's going a bit overboard you must purchase water from the restaurant if you want it at the pool?! The pool area itself is nice enough but at this point I refused to give the hotel any more of our money so we didn't spend much time there.

To carry on with the hotel trying to force you to spend money at the restaurant there isn't a bar fridge in the room nor a close shop due to the location so if you want cold refreshments you have to pay their exorbitant prices! They handed us a menu on checkin which is very limited but the seafood was frozen! You are literally on the coast and you don't get fresh seafood?! The included breakfast was terrible, boiled eggs only, no bacon, a small plate of fruit and some old looking bread.

Lastly there is no free Wifi in the hotel at all, you are stuck paying 3 Euro for 4hrs, which is unbelievable considering all other hotels we stayed at offered unlimited use.

So a wrap up of the negatives, location is too far out to be convenient, the shuttle service stops for the whole afternoon, unfriendly staff, room not ready, ridiculous rules to force you to use their restaurant, terrible breakfast, no wifi, no bar fridge.

My advice, stay away!!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Katelin M
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a lovely week in Sorrento. Hotel La Vue D'or was everything we expected and more. Very friendly staff, clean and comfortable rooms, and excellent food. It is quite a way from the centre of Sorrento but the regular free hotel shuttle bus gets you easily to the centre of town and back. The local bus service also passes by the hotel and is excellent value for money if you want to explore further afield. Being so far up the hill means you have spectacular views of Sorrento and the Bay of Naples too.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Minnie502014
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed here seven years ago and returned this summer. We were not disappointed. Modern clean and large room with all amenities. We upgraded to a deluxe room and had a balcony with an amazing view of the Naples Bay. This hotel is in the mountain a few miles outside of Sorrento with tremendous views of the Naples Bay from your room, the pool and the sundeck. No worries---they provide a free shuttle into town—so you get the best of both worlds—easy free access into town on a quick shuttle, and you are away from busy Sorrento. The staff was so friendly—they could not do enough for you. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: request a deluxe room for unbelieveable views of the Naples Bay. I got a good rate by paying in adv...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dennis H
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just come back from a weeks holiday here and it was brilliant. The hotel is quite a way up in the hills but the views that you get are breathtaking and never get boring. The staff were lovely and very helpful throughout our stay. Our room was cleaned everyday and was spotless. The breakfast and dinner were good, and the waiters were very friendly and attentive. The lunch menu was slightly pricey, but this is just a small blip in what is a really lovely hotel. Really do think it should be more than 3 star. The shuttle bus service was very good aswell, and it's free which was even better! Our first time in Italy and it has made us want to go back, will definitely book this hotel again. I did read many reviews of this hotel and although most of them were excellent some gave it a bad review but once I got here I wondered what the fuss is all about! People will moan about anything. My experience was brilliant and loved every minute would highly recommend this lovely hotel

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Bethany009
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed as part of our Honeymoon trip in July 2014, booked independently.

Quite a drive to get there, up some hairpin bends, but the view that greets you is worth it. Fantastic. Very quiet location but a good 15 mins drive from Sorrento centre - the free shuttle bus is very useful - parking in the centre is hard work!

We stayed bed and breakfast, breakfast was average but sufficient. Had dinner a couple of nights and the restaurant seemed geared towards those staying half-board - quite a limited selection and somewhat overpriced compared to what's available down in Sorrento.

The room was clean and well-equipped, classic Italian decor. Some noise can be heard from adjacent rooms with scraping furniture, but not too intrusive. View from balcony very picturesque.

Overall, nice relaxing location with good service, perhaps a little overpriced food.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple