“Stunning views....lovely hotel”
Review of Hotel La Vue D'Or

Hotel La Vue D'Or
Ranked #31 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I stayed here recently with a friend and had a lovely relaxing week. The hotel was further up the hillside than we realised when we booked but as it offers a regular free shuttle service to and from Sorrento and there is also a regular public bus that passes it is easy to get to Sorrento. I know some people have walked it but rather them than me when you see how high up it is!

The rooms were very good and the breakfast buffet was fine too. The staff are really helpful especially in providing information and sorting out any small problems that you may have.

There is a small pool and sunbathing area for adults and children and a further adults only sunbathing patio area with stunning views down to Sorrento and across the bay to Vesuvius. I would rate this hotel as a four star rather than three star and would definately recommend it to others.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank davidbell7

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed here as a solo traveller with a British tour group at the end of August last year. I arrived very late at the hotel and I was exhausted, they did offer me a meal but I just wanted to sleep to be honest. I woke up excited the next morning, eager to take in the view. It was over the pool and right in the corner, so mostly I overlooked the room opposite. I palled up with another two solo travellers on my tour group and their rooms and views were worse than mine, so I didn't moan. To be fair the room, although basic, was cleaned everyday and the linen and towels were changed daily. I just got the feeling that because we were solo travellers we were bunged in the less attractive rooms. A bit upsetting when it was my first holiday in many years.

Breakfast was OK, I don't eat a lot in the mornings, but I did overhear others who weren't too impressed.
Dinner at the hotel was bizarre, the three of us solo travellers asked to sit at a table together, and when starters/dinner/dessert came, they never came at the same time, so one of us would be starting whilst the others waiting for the next course or even finished eating completely. We did mention it but it didn't seem to sink in. We also joked that it was very reminiscent of 'Fawlty Towers', but it was endearing rather than annoying. Main course, not up to much, but starters and dessert usually OK.
Staff were pleasant, but that's all. The hotel on the whole was a bit dated, but comfortable in the public areas.

The views (apart from my room), are spectacular, and the hotel is quiet and out of the way (which is why I chose it).

I'm doing the same tour this year, because the tour itself was great. But I'm staying at a different hotel.
I don't often write reviews, but maybe future solo travellers might be interested to hear about my experience.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank jubaltroop
Reviewed 24 August 2014

stayed from 15-22 August. 3 star is appropriate for this accommodation. Room was on the small side for 3 of us but had a balcony and a lovely view of the valley and the sea (rm 556). Pool area was clean and tidy, quiet as small and kids not allowed balls/inflatables. Sun terrace lovely and adults only. Staff were friendly and helpful, we had an issue with noise from some young people next to us in rooms (weren't British!) and they dealt with it and were very apologetic. The shuttle bus could run more often in the afternoon but was great - it did break down the day before we left but they found an alternative. The hairdryer in the bathroom was full size and good quality - I agree they should have tea/coffee facilities (we took a travel kettle and those little vending cups). We only ate snacks and they were fine too, the ice-cream was nice! I was pleased the hotel was up on the mountainside as Sorrento town very busy and noisy with traffic and scooters, overall I have no complaints about this hotel, however I wasn't enamored with Sorrento overall and wouldn't return to the area. Breakfast was continental style with a vast choice.

Room Tip: Rm 556 was fine
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank saraswales
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is basic, no tea or coffee facilities in room. The staff are rude and the waiting staff are even worse patronising, we tried using a little Italian and they didn't even let us finish what we were saying. The shuttle bus doesn't run every hour and they also have siesta so your stuck in the hotel from 12-5 and the lunch snack menu is extortionate. The wifi is available on 3 computers for free but only 2 were working and u can pay for it for the day but you have to stay I the lobby as it won't work in the rooms.

The only good thing I can say about it is the view is amazing, but that's not enough to make me go back to that hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rachel C
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights and enjoyed it very much. Breakfast was nice but I can't say much for the dinner that we had . Staff is helpful and polite, nice views and very comfortable. There is a shuttle service to and from Sorrento so it is very easy to go to town for the day or dinner for the evening. Very reasonable price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vvegas1
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I really liked this quaint little hotel. The pool was nice and warm and clean. Very close to local amenities. Lovely bar area and great views with Vesuvius in the distance. Food was very good buffet style and catered for vegetarians.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank carricotz
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I will write a factual review of our stay at La Vue D'Or as I would never stay there again or recommend to others. Based on the website stating there was a shuttle bus we lugged our bags the 15min to the pick up spot from the train station and called the hotel to find out when the next one was running to be told it doesn't run between 12- 5.30pm! So our only option due to the location was to catch a cab at 35 euro for a 12min ride.

Finally getting to the hotel, granted I was rather annoyed that the website wasn't specific we were greeted by a pretty rude front desk lady. We asked if there were any room upgrades available to be huffed and puffed at and told she would let us know later that night. Bear in mind I wasn't asking for a free upgrade and happy with a simple 'no sorry we are fully booked' would have been fine. Given our room number & key and get to the room and it is being cleaned. By this point I am really annoyed so we trudge back down stairs to let her know it's not ready. Keep in mind it's now 4.30pm, well after the standard check in time so it should be well and truly ready! We waited another 15min to get in to the room.

Finally get in to our room which is clean & simple, no problems that's what we booked. Check out the bathroom and it is tiny, I mean it was a struggle to wash my hair in the shower it was so tight I couldn't get my elbows up! Also please note i am a size 10 AU and not big. I had to dry off in the room otherwise I was touching the toilet. The shower screen was broken so it was difficult to shut. It was without a doubt the smallest bathroom I have ever seen!

So then we go down to the pool and we are greeted with a sign stating not to take any of your own food in, ok a bit tight but there is a restaurant so they want to make money but then the sign states that includes water!!! Now that's going a bit overboard you must purchase water from the restaurant if you want it at the pool?! The pool area itself is nice enough but at this point I refused to give the hotel any more of our money so we didn't spend much time there.

To carry on with the hotel trying to force you to spend money at the restaurant there isn't a bar fridge in the room nor a close shop due to the location so if you want cold refreshments you have to pay their exorbitant prices! They handed us a menu on checkin which is very limited but the seafood was frozen! You are literally on the coast and you don't get fresh seafood?! The included breakfast was terrible, boiled eggs only, no bacon, a small plate of fruit and some old looking bread.

Lastly there is no free Wifi in the hotel at all, you are stuck paying 3 Euro for 4hrs, which is unbelievable considering all other hotels we stayed at offered unlimited use.

So a wrap up of the negatives, location is too far out to be convenient, the shuttle service stops for the whole afternoon, unfriendly staff, room not ready, ridiculous rules to force you to use their restaurant, terrible breakfast, no wifi, no bar fridge.

My advice, stay away!!!