“Great base to see the area from”
Review of Hotel La Vue D'Or

Hotel La Vue D'Or
Ranked #31 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Greenhithe, United Kingdom
“Great base to see the area from”
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

We toured the area with a travel company and had a good room in the hotel (554) with a balcony and view over the town. It's quiet and we enjoyed our stay, the staff were lovely and the hotel is above a three star but not a four.
Wi fi is my bug bear, here you get a ticket that allows one hour per day. The pool is not heated but very nice and we thought the bar and lunch service offered good value and service, breakfast was very good and the evening meals were ok.
The sun terrace is excellent and has spectacular views of sorrento and Vesuvius in the bay of Naples. There's plenty to do with a hotel bus service that is free down to the town, better here than staying in the town.

1 Thank GP1357

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Darwen, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014

My daughter and I have just returned from La Vue D'Or and have come back with mixed reviews. The hotel is lovely and clean and has a family feel, the reception and bar staff are friendly and helpful. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the dining staff, I suspect you need to tip at the beginning of the week to expect good and friendly service.
The rooms were more than acceptable with an excellent shower and hairdryer and spacious. Sadly we had paid a large amount extra for a seaview and as you can see by the photo we had to stand at the end of the balcony to see the sea, on the website Thomas Cook advertise it as a full view of Vesuvius behind the sea. Not only did we not receive the sea view, but on the first night we were told that we would be moving the next day due to us having been given a four bedded room, which they needed for new arrivals. BEWARE...if you pay extra for a sea view you will be told that this view is acceptable and classed as a 'lateral' sea view. We were given a bottle of wine to compensate the room change but this didn't make up for inconvenience caused.
We suspect that as August is when Italians go on holiday, the problem with the sea view was common among English guests and preference was given to Italian holiday makers. We also noticed that the English guests were made to share tables in the dining hall, whilst other nationality's had tables to themselves. This table was given on the first evening and had to be stuck to for the rest of the holiday.
The minibus was handy but would have appreciated a couple of runs in the afternoon.
The additional food and drink in the hotel are quite expensive and the hotel runs a tab system, where you sign for every order you make and which is settled at the end of the week, unless you request otherwise. Prepare yourself as this can add up very quickly!
The food in the evening was good, starters were pasta and generally better than the main,
The pool and sunbathing area and lovely and have brilliant views. There is an adult only terrace for sunbathing which is extremely quiet.
Overall the hotel is acceptable and could be good with a few changes made.

Room Tip: Do not pay extra for a sea view, if you pay for a balcony you will more than likely end up with this...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Diane S
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

This was a trip planned and booked by my partner. She chose the hotel based on package deal via Thomas Cook and the entire cost including flights was £650. I raise this as some reviews are highly critical, whilst this could be the case if hey paid a great deal more, for us we felt it was exactly right for the price and good value.

The staff are a mixed bunch but on the whole lovely. I accept that there is perhaps a cultural negativity in some of the Italian staff; although for me the staff were lovely and accepted our poor attempts at speaking their beautiful, if hand filled language. Reception staff were functional. Restaurant staff were very comical in mannerism (Insert Faulty Towers joke) and yet they clearly loved their roles.

Meals were acceptable. Breakfast is the traditional continental breakfast and whist amounts were unlimited and selection varied, it did lack the option of a bacon butty or a good fried egg. That said lots of fruit, yoghurt, cheese and meats with the typical European bread and slightly hard roles that you get everywhere in Italy. Evening meal was acceptable. The mains for me were not as good as the starters. The starters seem to be traditional Italian pasta which was more local and welcome than a main dish that attempted to be more than what it could be. Deserts were cake, fruit or ice cream. All were acceptable but rarely were you blown away. What surprised me is no pizza, and excuse the pun, no Garlic bread.

Our room was clean but a little small. (Room 154) it lacked a brew faculty but this was in the documentation. The bathroom was a little small and the veranda did look out on the pool only. However, it was functional and liveable. Our main issue however was the fact that the pipes of adjoining rooms sounded so loud that they would wake you up. After speaking to others, this may be unique to room 154.

The pool and the sun deck are great. The view is amazing and easily worth the perseverance with the shuttle bus. If your aim is to relax and catch rays with a good book, this is your place. The shuttle bus is something that you have to plan.

Cost of drinks are quite high, particularly water (2.50 euro) although this was comparable with other places.

Overall, I would go back. I would ask not to stay in the room we had but to be fair, I had no problem sleeping on the sun deck given the nocturnal disruption due to the pipes. Food was edible and allowed us to keep costs contained. Staff were friendly and smiled. If you are looking for an acceptable standard with amazing views, great sun deck and options of adjusting your holiday to suit, why wouldn't you go here.

3 Thank Glyn P
Redhill, England
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I stayed here recently with a friend and had a lovely relaxing week. The hotel was further up the hillside than we realised when we booked but as it offers a regular free shuttle service to and from Sorrento and there is also a regular public bus that passes it is easy to get to Sorrento. I know some people have walked it but rather them than me when you see how high up it is!

The rooms were very good and the breakfast buffet was fine too. The staff are really helpful especially in providing information and sorting out any small problems that you may have.

There is a small pool and sunbathing area for adults and children and a further adults only sunbathing patio area with stunning views down to Sorrento and across the bay to Vesuvius. I would rate this hotel as a four star rather than three star and would definately recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank davidbell7
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here as a solo traveller with a British tour group at the end of August last year. I arrived very late at the hotel and I was exhausted, they did offer me a meal but I just wanted to sleep to be honest. I woke up excited the next morning, eager to take in the view. It was over the pool and right in the corner, so mostly I overlooked the room opposite. I palled up with another two solo travellers on my tour group and their rooms and views were worse than mine, so I didn't moan. To be fair the room, although basic, was cleaned everyday and the linen and towels were changed daily. I just got the feeling that because we were solo travellers we were bunged in the less attractive rooms. A bit upsetting when it was my first holiday in many years.

Breakfast was OK, I don't eat a lot in the mornings, but I did overhear others who weren't too impressed.
Dinner at the hotel was bizarre, the three of us solo travellers asked to sit at a table together, and when starters/dinner/dessert came, they never came at the same time, so one of us would be starting whilst the others waiting for the next course or even finished eating completely. We did mention it but it didn't seem to sink in. We also joked that it was very reminiscent of 'Fawlty Towers', but it was endearing rather than annoying. Main course, not up to much, but starters and dessert usually OK.
Staff were pleasant, but that's all. The hotel on the whole was a bit dated, but comfortable in the public areas.

The views (apart from my room), are spectacular, and the hotel is quiet and out of the way (which is why I chose it).

I'm doing the same tour this year, because the tour itself was great. But I'm staying at a different hotel.
I don't often write reviews, but maybe future solo travellers might be interested to hear about my experience.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank jubaltroop
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

stayed from 15-22 August. 3 star is appropriate for this accommodation. Room was on the small side for 3 of us but had a balcony and a lovely view of the valley and the sea (rm 556). Pool area was clean and tidy, quiet as small and kids not allowed balls/inflatables. Sun terrace lovely and adults only. Staff were friendly and helpful, we had an issue with noise from some young people next to us in rooms (weren't British!) and they dealt with it and were very apologetic. The shuttle bus could run more often in the afternoon but was great - it did break down the day before we left but they found an alternative. The hairdryer in the bathroom was full size and good quality - I agree they should have tea/coffee facilities (we took a travel kettle and those little vending cups). We only ate snacks and they were fine too, the ice-cream was nice! I was pleased the hotel was up on the mountainside as Sorrento town very busy and noisy with traffic and scooters, overall I have no complaints about this hotel, however I wasn't enamored with Sorrento overall and wouldn't return to the area. Breakfast was continental style with a vast choice.

Room Tip: Rm 556 was fine
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank saraswales
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is basic, no tea or coffee facilities in room. The staff are rude and the waiting staff are even worse patronising, we tried using a little Italian and they didn't even let us finish what we were saying. The shuttle bus doesn't run every hour and they also have siesta so your stuck in the hotel from 12-5 and the lunch snack menu is extortionate. The wifi is available on 3 computers for free but only 2 were working and u can pay for it for the day but you have to stay I the lobby as it won't work in the rooms.

The only good thing I can say about it is the view is amazing, but that's not enough to make me go back to that hotel.

3 Thank Rachel C