“The Best Hotel in Sorrento!!!”

Villa Oriana Relais
Ranked #4 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Riga, Latvia
“The Best Hotel in Sorrento!!!”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Nataly T
Buongiorno everyone!
I would like to tell you about my wonderful experience in Villa Oriana.
I am a singer from Latvia working on the first London based solo album. When me and my team decided to shoot the music videos for the summery song "Fever" we immediately throught of some place very chic and beautiful from one side and very hospitable and welcoming from the other. We were in search of the fascinating views and pretty ambience as well of nice people around that would make us feel comfortable while doing such a complicated and stressful project as shooting a music videos.It seemed almost unaccomplishable idea... We dedicated a lot of time for the search of this kind of almost miraculous place and we have finally found it! it actually existed!!!
This place is Villa Oriana!!! Indeed iti is!!!
This is a beautiful Villa from outside and inside, overviewing all the fascinanting landascapes of the Sorrento Bay and what is the most important with the most hospitable and warm hearted family and owners and their helpers that me and my team have ever met in our lifes.
These nice people kindly offered their wonderful villa to be featured in the music videos "Fever" .
Lemon alleys , colorful ortensya garden , spacious verandas and flowery balcons with the breathtaking views, open-air whirpool with solarium on the roof of the villa - all made the perfect pictures for the scenes of the music videos and captured the beauty of this paradise for ever.We thank all members of the wonderful d'Esposito family of owners (Maria, Peppe,Pasquale, Oriana) and their friendly and hardworking helpers (Elio, Carmela) for the great hospitality care and love that me and my shooting team felt every minute of our stay and shooting experience.
Grazie mille per tutto !!!
P.S.
If you want to have an unforgettable stay definitely choose to visit Villa Oriana.
Nataly T.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank natalyt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Hebrew first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We've just returned from a week at Villa Oriana and couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. This is the first time we've ever bothered to write an online review for somewhere, but Villa Oriana really deserve the praise! Maria (the owner) cooks an amazing breakfast every morning and the view from the terrace overlooking Sorrento and Naples is perfect. Elio and the other staff couldn't have been more helpful from the moment we arrived and are very welcoming. We moved rooms part way through the week which was no problem, and both rooms we stayed in were spotlessly clean and comfortable.

The location of Villa Oriana is a little way out of Sorrentos main square and up a hill. We enjoyed the walk in each day which took about 20 minutes. It may not be for everyone in the heat of the day but was ideal for us as the trade off at night getting such a spectacular view of Sorrento from the Villa is worth the walk! There are plenty of places to stop for drinks on the way to Sorrento's main area too so don't let the distance put you off. In addition, a number of restaurants offer a free pick up and drop off service door to door from Villa Oriana. Elio arranged this for us on several of the evenings and it made everything even easier. A restaurant called Da Fillipos is also well worth a visit!

We took advantage of using the pool at the Hotel Cristiana which is free to Villa Oriana guests and just a couple of minutes walk down the road and also used the Jacuzzi on the roof of Villa Oriana on several occasions. Both a welcome break from the heat!

All in all this is probably one of the nicest places we've stayed, and definitely the best breakfast! Thank you for a lovely stay. John and Katie.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank john_newbold
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Booked a deluxe room c8 weeks before our stay and had the expectation we would be located in the Villa - I had not read the reviews in detail! Our room - an apartment - was on the ground floor of the property behind the villa which was comfortable in itself, just not what I had expected or booked - it did not have safe, wi fi access etc

The position of the villa overlooking the Bay of Naples provides a great view. The location was ok for us as we are happy to walk anywhere but most guests appeared to use taxis in the evening as its more than 15mins walk to the centre of Sorrento . The breakfast is exceptional as reported by others.

In summary, I feel we paid a premium price for our room which was comfortable for us but I can see no reference on the website to rooms being provided outside the villa and so felt we didn't get exactly what we paid for.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Winterbournedown
London
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I stayed at Villa Oriana in March, and had a lovely time.

Sorrento itself is easily accessible from Naples airport, the bus costs just E10 and the coastal view en-route is just incredible. The hotel is actually nearer St Agnello station, which is where I got down, and took a cab to Villa for another E10 - which was a total rip-off given that it is just an 8 minute walk to the Villa. However, the side strreet leading to the villa can be easiy missed if you don't know what you're looking for - it is apparently marked out by a large tree, but as you can imagine, there are plenty of tall trees in Sorrento! The route to the villa is also very steep indeed so you would not want to climb up this with luggage.

Once you enter the grounds, it feels like you are in a different world, one where orange and lemon groves line your pathway! The villa itself is lovely, Elio and Maria are very welcoming indeed and settled me down with lemonade and chocolate cake before humouring my poor attempts at Italiano. My room was on the lowest floor, was simply but smatrly furnished, and had a lovely terrace area, which again was surrounded by orange trees...I enjoyed the splendid isolation! As well as the room and safe keys, you are provided with a key to the grounds and villa main door so you can come and go as you please, which was perfect for me.The room itself had a comapct bathroom with a hairdryer, and there was an empty fridge in the room.

I was limited in what I ciould have for breakfast, but Maria accomodated my needs on more than one occasion with her delicious home-made foccacia, there was also a wide range of cakes and quihes available very morning, along with freshly squeezed orange juice. It's not what you would usually have for breakfast, but the fruitbowl was overflowing with incredible local produce - including giant kiwis - and I was happy with this meal. Mreaia and Elio were very helpful indeed, there was a computer available for internet access, and nothing was too much trouble. I was ready to walk to the station on the way back, but Maria and Elio gently but firmly insisted they take me by car, which was a very kind gesture. Frpom what I could see, they often gave guests lifts into Sorrento (a 20-min walk away), and free trensport to and from the hotel had been pre-agreed with a list of recommended restaurants.

The only negatives about this place is the combination if not serving evening meals, along with the steep hill back to the villa. A steep climb is not what you want after a busy day of sightseeing, and it meant that I had to plan my day to have an early dinner before coming back to he villa, as I didn't want to walk back tioo late (the last 75m stretch of the hill is unlit and hence picth dark post-sunset, although very safe when compared with London!).I couldn't recommend this place to elderly or diabled travellers, unless they have a car (parking is free on site, unlike the rest of Sorrento!) in which case it is easy to access.

All in all I had a wonderful stay in Sorrento, and can see exactly why people are raving about this place, the combination of location, accomodation and hospitality is well worth experiencing. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, particularly if I were driving in Italy.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank I-veritas
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We booked to stay here for a relaxing few days after a busy time sightseeing in Rome, and we were looking forward to celebrating our engagement. Like other reviewers, we were greeted with freshly made lemonade served on the terrace and were then informed that due to a "problem with the booking system" we didn't have a room here for the first night. We were moved to the Hotel Cristina down the road, the room was small, dark and located next to the restaurant and pool. As it was only for one night and we were promised a wonderful room at the Oriana, we put up with it.
When returning to the Oriana the next afternoon, we were shown to our room. It was located downstairs and was a lot smaller than we had expected. We queried this with the owner as we had booked a deluxe room but were informed that all of the rooms were 'deluxe'. After some discussion, he suggested moving us the next day to the separate villa which was located a few metres up the road. It was nice with a living room as well as large bedroom and bathroom.
Overall, we did enjoy our stay here as it was peaceful, had lovely views, great breakfasts, fab roof terrace with jacuzzi and friendly staff. However, the overbooking did spoil the start of the stay and although the staff did rectify the situation and were apologetic about it, we couldn't help but feel that this wasn't a genuine problem and was of their own doing after reading previous reviews that this has happened to other people staying here. It seems too much of a coincidence - they can't have had that many problems with the booking system!
If it hadn't been for this, we would have fully recommended this hotel. It is located on the border of Sorrento and St Agnello, 30 minutes walk from the main square in Sorrento -, there are buses into town from the bottom of the hill but they can be sporadic. Taxis are 15-20 euros.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kaz1105
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Besides the good location, the perfect cleanliness, the wonderfull homemade breakfast, and the amazing homemade limoncello, Villa Oriana made us feel like home. The staff is absolutelly adorable and makes all efforts to please and help the guests. A fantastic place to stay in Sorrento.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DiogoFerraz
Barberino Di Mugello, Italy
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Upon arrival, following the less than glamorous train from Naples we were driven (5 minutes from train station) to a gate and dropped off. We walked through a lemon grove and were greeted by Elio's warm, gracious personality and presented with fresh lemonade and delicious cake. The place is spectcular, up on a hill, peaceful, quiet. The room was great, fabulous internet (why cant five star hotels figure this out?), and a true feeling that you are guests in very familiar home. Marias cooking is phenomenal and my 10 year old daughter proclaimed the BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE ever - and if that wasnt enough Maria baked custom nutella biscotti for the next day. Worldwide, there might be an equal place in the hospitality field, but there surely is no better......only deficit is travelling to amalfi coast from sorrento is less than perfect...but more than offset by being here!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family