“Most amazing 2 weeks ever in the Grand Hotel Capodimonte.”

Grand Hotel Capodimonte
Ranked #26 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We chose to stay at the Grand Hotel Capodimonte for 2 weeks during the time of our marriage. We had the most amazing wedding reception and were looked after very well. We were treated very special and felt like we were amonst friends. We could not fault the service and care we experienced, and all of our 30 guests commented on how beautiful the hotel and views were as well as the delicious food and fantastic service. Everyone who was involved in the preparations and organisation of our wedding on the 22nd October made sure we had a very special day to remember. And remember it we will, and we plan to return with some of our guests within the next few years.

Mr and Mrs David and Kathryn Williams
Bristol.
England

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sorrento22

Reviewed 26 May 2011

Stayed here from 23rd - 26th May.
Could not fault the hotel at all. Everyone from the bell boy, cleaners, waiters, bar tenders, receptionist, know about good customer relations. We never encountered anyone who was not pleasant. In fact they were all the best.
The food was amazing. Drinks were pricey,but you are in Italy in a 5.star hotel,expect it.
I would return to this hotel.
We booked through Citalia and would use them again. Their reps were very very helpful
Just down the road to the right of the hotel,is a bar/ cafe, the drinks are very reasonable,and the food looked excellent. We were on full board so did not have occasion to eat here. Should I return, I would probably go half board and then I could try other places for food. All in all a very goood experience

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank stringy26
Reviewed 24 May 2011

This hotel is less than a five minute walk into Sorrento with all its amenities. The staff were all very friendly and courtious and could not do enough for us. The room that was given us was on the second floor overlooking the bay and the town which was excellent, but the traffic noise could become tiresome if the patio doors were left open during busy times. There is a terrace bar on the roof of the hotel where the pools are and other bars in the hotel and the staff gave very good service. There are two restaurants and a sanck bar serving good meals with a wide choice of food. All in all, an excellent holiday.

2  Thank Norman870
Reviewed 23 May 2011

This is a an absolutely beautiful hotel. Exactly what you'd expect from classic Italian elegance. Our room had a view of the rock face directly next to the balcony if you looked straight out from the room, but turning to the right we had a good, albeit partial view of the sea and Sorrento. I think some of the rooms probaly have amazing views and other less so, but that wasn't important to us since we spent very little time in the room. The room itself was lovely. The hotel has small lounge areas and sun terraces dotted around, as well as the main terraces by the pool, reception and restaurants. All the public areas were pristine and beautiful to look at.

The restaurants boasted panoramic views across the bay. The staff were all very elegant, but served with a typical relaxed Italian style. Don't expect fast food. The was good, but I personally would prefer more rustic local food, but no complaints.

The pool and sun-terraces are again beautiful, but the water was very cold. Only the brace souls attempted a swim - and usually only once!

Would recommend the hotel whole-heartedly - the perfect setting for a perfect holiday in a beautiful city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher level.
1  Thank Chickidee5
Reviewed 17 May 2011

My wife and I stayed here 4 nights last week. After a postage stamp-sized room in Rome, we were blown away by the spaciousness of the room. Granted, we did get the deluxe Prestige on the 11th floor, but it was just awesome. I travel every week for business and I would put the quality and cleaniness of the room right up there with the best I have ever stayed at. The hotel is very conveniently located just off the main business district in Sorrento, which makes it more quiet. Our room had a great view of the pool area, Sorrent city and the bay. I have a couple of tiny bones to pick though. First, we were charged $5 for a bucket of ice. Relative to what we paid nightly, it was nothing, but it just seemed like a rip off. Also, the internet access was terrible. I'm a techie so this kind of thing never stumps me, but I actually gave up on our 2nd day. Lucklily, we were not charged. Also, here really is no concierge. The front desk staff were not at all knowledgeable of the local restaurants. Luckily we had done some advance homework. Finally, and I know this is common in many European hotels, but I really didn't like leavingmy room key when we left each day and the fact that they didn't ask for any ID when we retrieved it later. For a very small hotel, this is OK, but not for the size of this hotel. Don't let all of this dissuade you though, it was an excellent stay. The aformentioned were relatively minor issues.

1  Thank bmoore229
Reviewed 17 May 2011

We stayed there , and was going to have our reception in town as we had an 11 am wedding , best thing we ever did we had the best week ever , the hotel is A1 they made our special day the best .

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Tankie287
Reviewed 13 May 2011

I stayed here with my husband and his Mum last month. We booked the holiday through Thomsons. I can't think of enough superlatives to describe the hotel! Every area was beautifully furnished & decorated, with marble floors throughout. I don't go in lifts, so I got to see the stairs - often a place the cleaners don't get to! Noth in this hotel! Everywhere was spotless & lovely.
The reason I've only given 4 stars for the rooms is that my Mother-in-Law had a single room which was too small really. Our double room, along the corridor, was very spacious. We were at the back of the hotel, but each room had a balcony & chairs & table & we looked out onto a lemon grove - perfectly acceptable, even though we would have preferred a sea view (too much extra cost).
We had half-board & the food was always good & plentiful. I'm a vegetarian and there was only one veggie choice per day at dinner, but it wasn't a big problem, although I would have preferred more choice. But this was Italy, and it's known for its meat & fish dishes.
All the staff were extremely helpful & friendly & they were very patient with me when I tried to use my smidgin of Italian.
I gave the location 4 stars only because the hotel is slightly out of town, up a slight hill. This wasn't at all a problem for my husband & I, but it was for Mum. Eventually we would have got the bus ticket system sorted out! You have to buy your bus tickets in advance for the next day. We found though, a couple of times, that the buses didn't turn up so we had to walk back to the hotel.
The pools looked wonderful, although we didn't go in.
There were also several areas you could sit & look over Sorrento - the wisteria in April was absolutely magnificent! It smelt & looked amazing!
All in all, a top hotel. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying a stay here. PS. There are no coffee making facilities in the room - if I went again, I'd take a kettle & some tea bags!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family