“very good,but still lacking”

Grand Hotel Capodimonte
Ranked #26 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Have just left this hotel with a bad taste in my mouth. Having paid extra to have a Sea View room on checking in we did not feel that we had been given this (as we were over looking the upper pool with its female topless bathers). We reported this to the reception and were "fobbed off" twice, actually the reception is the worst thing about this hotel as no one ever really had an answer to any ???s and they contradict each other. We just settled in and enjoyed our hard earned holiday as this is a very nice hotel and the food is very good and it does have very nice surroundings. Although we did have a very nice room it was not what we had paid for. Top Tips...Do not pay for sea view, unless you are defo getting one, use the Conad store just down the road for drinks(much cheaper), keep on top of your bar bill, by paying every other day, try to avoid the big wedding groups

2  Thank drebir
Write a ReviewReviews (2,521)

Reviewed 3 August 2009

I am in shock at some of the negative reviews! We have just returned from Sorrento (Landed in england today!) after spending a week at Hotel Capodimonte. My husband and I choose Capodimonte as our friends were getting married in Sorrento and having the reception in the hotel and staying there also.
The room we got was great, better than we had expected or paid for! In all there were around 35 people staying at the hotel who were part of the wedding party and everyone enjoyed their stay.
The food is fantastic and the staff are extremely helpful, nothing (unlike other reviews) is too much trouble. The bar staff in particular are fantastic. The reception staff are very knowledgable and know all about train times/bus times to all areas of interest.
The drinks are fairly expensive (€6 for a large beer, €4 for a coke) but this is a 4* hotel so on reflection are fairly normal.
One warning - bring a travel iron as the hotel does not provide an iron, although you can use the hotel laundry service.
This hotel is worth staying at for the views alone. They are truly AMAZING!

3  Thank Judo79
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Myself and my partner have just returned from a much needed weeks holiday at the Capodimonte. Overall the hotel was good but the bad bits were unacceptable.

We booked through Expedia after we got a really good deal. I would definately advise spending some time comparing prices, we paid half what Thompson were quoting! We flew to Naples (good old easyjet) and got the bus which is 10 euros each from directly outside the terminal which drops you outside the station in Sorrento. I didn't have time to research our trip before we came away and there were a few things I wish I had known such as the bus line A which goes from outside the station will drop you off right outside the hotel, we got ripped off using a taxi. I had read a few reviews about noisey rooms so I had emailed the hotel explaining my concerns. Their only reply was that they confirmed they had our reservations, when I asked again I got no reply.

Rooms
Our room 338 was large but we immediately noticed a strong smell of damp. We thought this may clear on opening the balcony doors for a while- it did not! The balcony was lovely, totally private with a sea view. We were directly below the restuarant which meant constant noise of chairs scrapping over tiles in the evening, I asked at reception whether this would be a problem in the morning and I was quickly dismissed. Yet, at 6am we were awoken when the staff were rearranging the tables for the next evening. On the first night when I came to get out of the shower I found that we hadn't been provided with towels, when I tried to get out of the bath to call my partner, who was on the balncony to ask him to get some I slipped injuring myself quite badly- bruised ribs, an egg on my head and a large gash on my leg - not a good start! The damp was affecting my partners asthma quite badly and our clothes, the bedsheets etc smelt so I asked to be moved and was told they were full. I asked to speak to the manager and suddenly 2 rooms became available. The first was facing a concrete wall next to the elevator shaft, the 2nd, room 612 was a twin room facing the landscaping at the back of the hotel,not ideal but it wasn't damp so we took it. Oh and girls take your own haridryer, the ones provided are awful!

The breakfast was brilliant, although the staff were overworked. The buffet meal was absolutely wonderful as was the lunch we ate by the pool. Every other evening we ate out in Sorrento. Ignore the signs telling you not to bring your own drinks to the poolside, the mini supermarket 200m from the hotel sells water at a fraction of the cost, why waste money?! We also brought local wine, snacks and a bottle opener :-) here to enjoy on our balcony in the evening.

Facilities
The pool was lovely and the best part of the hotel. There are various places to sit for a drink in the evening all with amazing views.

Trips
We visited Pompeii and Positano ourselves rather than on the organised tours, which was cheaper and meant we could do as we pleased. Be warned the bus drive to Positiano is not good for those who suffer with motion sickness! The driver was a maniac and there were several unwell people on the bus, I was very nearly one of them!

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would probably return. There is a huge variation in the types of room available and plenty of weddings which get a lot of the managers and staffs' attention. The mix of guests was really nice, the hotel is not well set up for those with mobility problems. The 10-15 minute walk in to the town is pleasant and not demanding, it was nice to be away from the bustle.

Reviewed 3 August 2009

Being the third time we visited the hotel we knew from our previous experiences how good our trip could be and this was no exception. Even though we found ourselves in a room overlooking the kitchens, 419, looking beyond that we could see the fantastic views of the bay we had become used to. Service was exceptional and polite as always, and the minor problems we had with our phone in the room were resolved quickly. All the staff, both old and new, were courteous and we received a warm welcome. The weather was fantastic and we made the most of our good location, quiet enough to be relaxing but near enough to the centre to make you feel connected to the town. Perhaps the only downside was the like of variety in vegetarian meals at dinner, although staff were willing to make up vegetarian dishes for us, so this wasn't a major problem. But all in all this proved to be another highly enjoyable trip and we will hopefully be returning within the next year or so.

1  Thank LoveTheSun101
Reviewed 1 August 2009

We have just returned from Italy and staying at the the Grand Hotel Capodimonte.We are fortunate to have done alot of travelling so I am keen to see all reviews before we book!! On reading the reviews prior to us booking,I was very excited to see how well it scored .
However, we went in the height of the season so the hotel was fully booked which showed in the service of the staff.If staying on a half board basis be prepared for a long evening,.Our first night we spent three hours in the restaurant,an hour waiting for our starter and half an hour waiting for plates to be cleared.The food is fine for mass produced food, Breakfast was ok but not four star standard.The wine is actually not overpriced but the beer is 4.50 euro for half a pint!
The drinks can take a while to arrive and to get attetion from the waiters isnt easy.
The pool is beautiful with views to die for,but, to our surprise you had to be up to secure your sun lounger by eight am to get a good spot for the day!! Thats pressure you dont want on holiday.The hotel is mainly full of british if that concerns The rooms we had looked over sorrento and the beautiful bay.rooms 712 and 714,they are also tucked away on there own and very clean and spacious.ideal with teenagers .Hotel in fantastic location and only few minutes into town.
I would stay in this hotel again,but not height of season and not on half board as it is not value for money.

2  Thank george74
Reviewed 29 July 2009

We spent our silver wedding anniversary at the hotel, and were thrilled with our choice. The sheer luxury of the hotel and its unique location hit us on arrival. The food was superb and the weekly gala buffet even better, although the service was rather too fast for our liking. We spent many days lazing round the pool, which has lots of quiet terraces with only 4/5 sunbeds on each, so it almost felt like your own private one. The views overlooking the bay of Naples and onto Vesuvius from the 5 infinity pools just blew you away. Our only disappointment was the room we had been allocated - with partial sea view - the balcony windows opened onto a 30ft high concrete wall, which kept all the natural light out, and never got any sun. We did ask to be moved, but reception said they were full. Thankfully we had 10 days of glorious sunshine, so only used the room for sleeping and dressing - if the weather had been bad, we would have been really upset. We would love to return, but not to room No 406.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marliflower
Reviewed 25 July 2009

Just back from our second trip to Sorrento, we stayed at the Capodimonte, an easy 5- 10 minute walk from Sorrento centre. We have stayed in a number of 4 star hotels and have to say we loved this one. We paid for a balcony and sea view and it was worth every penny as the view was breathtaking. We were a party of ten with teenagers and everything about this hotel was just great, all the staff are very hardworking and friendly, everyone says hello and nothing is too much trouble, From the smiling and helpful female receptionist to the Maitre D who organised a table for ten each evening on the terrace (amazing views) Its a clean, nicely decorated hotel with good food but it isnt stuffy or pretenious, it walks that fine line between comfort and style that you can relax in. Drinks are pricey but you expect that in Italy, we just paid the tab every two days to stay on top of it and not get a huge shock at the end of the week. We made our own way to Pompeii and Capri ,Much cheaper than the organised trips and you can leave when you wish, We got a taxi from the hotel early in the morning for 8 of us to arrive when Pompeii opens (8.30am) and we had the pleasure of having Apollo's temple and the villa of mysteries to ourselves, when we were leaving the place was mobbed. This worked out at 10 euros each for the trip there, and 11 euro entrance fee, (bring passports for children as they get in free) and we got the train back, the station is literally across the street from the entrance and this cost a couple of Euro. We got a private transfer to and from Naples airport with Ugo who is an absolute gentleman and for a very reasonable cost. He was informative, courtious and funny. We contacted him at www.sorrentocars.com and he was there waiting for us both times. He also does a trip for 6 people to Postiano, Revallo and Amalfi , again very reasonable and it takes the strain out of co-ordinating buses between the three towns, and you get local knowledge. We hardly ever go back to the same place twice but I would gladly go back to Sorrento again and stay at the Capodimonte because I know we will have a great experience.

1  Thank Crystal39