1,243 results
All reviewssteep hillshuttle bussea viewbay of naplespool areahalf boardevening mealevery houramazing viewscliff facinglovely hotelrestaurant staffreception staffshuttle servicehead waiterour honeymoonalways on time
Reviewed 13 October 2007

I have just returned from a one week stay at this hotel, after reading earlier reviews I wasn't sure what to expect, but I found everything excellent, at first my room wasn't what I had booked, but after a couple of days I was moved to the correct type of room.
I could not fault the food, public rooms, service and hotel staff everything was first class (I'm known by friends and familty to be very "picky" and not easy to please) The position of the hotel was wonderful with the best views in the world. Obviously if you have walking difficulties that would cause problems as during some parts of the day the shuttle bus was not frequent, but anyone used to walking would find the distance into the centre no problem. I used to speak to an elderly couple and this was their twelth consecutive stay at this hotel !! I think that speaks volumes. I look forward to going back in the future. This year for the first time I was travelling on my own and the staff, from Guiseppie ( hope the spelling is correct) down were wonderful and took good care of me.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank Englisholderlady
ArtHotelGranParadiso, Responsabile reception at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

Dear Guest, thank you for reviewing your stay at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso. We value the opinion of our Guests and we hope to welcome you soon again in Sorrento.

Reviewed 24 September 2007

Breathtaking view of the amalfi coast, which is something that has to be experienced. A part the location, the stuff helped me in having a relaxing vacation expecially at the swimming pool....also Restaurant served fresh mediterranean food....if I will be back in Sorrento one day, I will stay for sure again at Gran Paradiso.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank angel045

Reviewed 29 July 2007

- Quiet, if not deadly silent. The hotel had the feeling of an old people's home in the evening, as the last bus is at 11pm. We felt like we had been tagged as a taxi from Sorrento was 20 euros, which is too pricey to use every night.
- Lovely swimming pool with great views, but the pool bar is spoilt by the staff's attitude and lack of choice on the menu. They have a monopoly though, as the nearest bar / restaurant is at the bottom of the mountain.
- The reception staff, like the bar staff, are very rude. The restaurant staff aren't much better.
- The restaurant food was appalling, breakfast consisted of salami, bread and cheese. The evening meal wasn't much better, we opted to eat out for the remaining 13 evenings so the holiday wasn't ruined.
- There was no parking for car hire, but the road to the hotel is not an easy drive anyway.
- The rooms are like a flashback from the 70s, including the forever changing temperature of the shower.
To conclude, I would not visit this hotel again , there are far too many bad points to outweigh the view.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TheTravelQueen13
HGRANPARADISO, Manager at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2007

Dear Mrs TheTravelQueen13,

Thank you for posting a review on tripadvisor.com, most of the times bad reviews help you to react and so to improve our services, as we are trying to do since last year.
As you may understand not always we are able to satisfy all the needs of our guest.
I hope to have the chance in the future to receive you in our hotel in order to show you our efforts to improve quality.

Best regards,
Alberto Colonna

Reviewed 21 July 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Gran Paradiso Hotel. The view from the top of the mountain was magnificent, along with the infinity pool overlooking it. Also, the food at the hotel was delicious and readily available. Furthermore, the nightly activities added to the liveliness of the hotel. Shuttles were always ready to either pick up or drop off people at the foot of the mountain. I also loved the art theme throughout the hotel. I highly recommend the Gran Paradiso Hotel to anyone travelling to Sorrento!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
4  Thank dcp3712

Reviewed 18 July 2007

We booked with a Direct holiday company and arrived at the Gran Paradiso on June 29th for seven days.
We always use the Sorrento Palace Hotel but this year, we stayed on the island of Ishcia for our second week and the hotel offered withe Sorrento Palace was one we knew and chose not to use.
I knew we would be arriving about 10pm and as my husband is diabetic, I telephoned the hotel the week before to see whether a meal would be available. I was told there certainly would be.
On our arrivel we had a plate with cold meat, some tomato and cucumber, clingwrapped on a plate in our room, not what we had expected.On previous occasions when we have stayed at the Sorrento Palace and arrived late, we have been taken into the A La Carte dining room and served a meal.
The Gran Paradiso is listed in the brochure with the Sorrento Hotels and although it did say the bars and restaurants in St. Angello were 500 metres away, we though that the Gran Paradiso must be towards Sorrento.
The journey from the main road up to the Gran Paradiso was certainly a shock. We could not believe the long steep winding hill- no mention of this in the brochure - although it does say the Hotel is on a hillside we certainly did not expect such a steep hill.
On more than one occasion we used a taxi and asked the driver to measure the distance from the main road up to the hotel and each time we were told it was almost a kilometre, and when you get to the bottom of the hill, you then have to walk into the centre of St. Angello.
The courtesy coaches were not adequate. The times in the morning going down were 7.45, 9.30, 11.15 and 12.15, the bus dropped you at the railway/bus station in Sorrento and the return journeys were 15 minutes later.
The afternoon journeys down were 4.15, 5.15, 6.15 and 8.30pm,
return journeys being 15 minutes later. In the evening there was another journey up the bank, picking up at a different point, at 11pm.
In the afternoon if you missed the 12.30 bus up the hill, you either had to wait until 4.30; use the local bus part of the way and then walk up the steep hill; walk the whole of the way from either Sorrento or St. Agatha, or - as we did on some occasions, use a taxi. Taxis cost 20 Euro - not cheap.
My husband and I walked down the hill in about 8-10 minutes but it took at least half an hour to walk up - not relaxing in either the heat of the afternoon or late at night. There were no lights on the way up the hill other than one hotel and the odd local residence.
No local transport was available up to the hotel.
We felt we were living by the bus timetable to get back and forwards to our hotel and found this very frustrating.
For our meals we were seated with another couple who arrived at the hotel with us, they were not happy having to sit with strangers and so we felt they were avoiding us at mealtimes - happy holiday! I feel this is something that should be mentioned ion the brochure.
The food was in the main unappetising, breakfast was poor and tea, coffee and fruit juice were dispensed from machines.. For most of the week one of the coffee machines was out of order and I find having to queue for a hot drink at breakfast unacceptable - this is certainly not 4 star - and this is the first time
in any hotel that I have seen tomato and cucumber at breakfast..
The evening meals had to ordered at breakfast time and again lacked inspiration.
We only had one panel as a shower guard instead of three, there
was none at the end and only one on the long side of the bath, the shower was in the middle of the long wall, so it was a work of art trying not to have the floor awash. Other guests were in the same situation.
I feel that it is extremely important for the traveller that when hotels are described in brochures, the location, facilities, meals and rating are as near 100% correct as possible.
We were very disappointed with our stay at the Gran Paradiso, this should most definately not be advertised along with Sorrento Hotels. There should be a separate section for Sorrento, St. Angello and St. Agatha.
We have stayed at the Sorrento Palace Hotel for many years and have had wonderful holidays, and although it is rated as four star plus, there is absolutely no comparison with the Gran Paradiso and I would say that the Gran Paradiso should only be 3 star.
Despite all this, we enjoyed our holiday and had our ususal trips to Amalfi, Ravello, Positano and Pompeii - not to mention the Freigners' Club in the evening for the dancing.
I hasten to add we have already booked our holiday for next year -- at the Sorrento Palace.

Abbie_7