“Very friendly hotel, everyone helpful, food really excellent and unsurpassed views!”

Art Hotel Gran Paradiso
Ranked #39 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 17 May 2011

I have just returned to my home in Le Marche, Italy, having stayed at the Art Hotel Gran Paradiso for the 12th time!! The reason I go back there, is because the staff are absolutely excellent, and nothing is too much trouble, and they always make me feel at home and welcome me back like a friend. They have recently had a new chef (2 years' ago), and I must say that the food has never been better. At breakfast there is a wonderful choice of cooked food, cheeses and hams, and fruit salads and choice of breads. Fresh coffee and tea is always served. There is also a fantastic lunch menu which encompasses all the expected Italian pastas, and salads and meat dishes. Dinner is really excellent and yet again, a wide choice of Italian specialities. Gala night is exceptional. The waiters, some of whom I have come to know over the years since 2004, are very friendly, and exceptional in their efficiency, and as always nothing is too much trouble. The staff on reception also, are SO helpful, and have assisted me in booking taxis, restaurants etc, and go beyond that which I would expect. I would also like to mention the chambermaids who are so friendly, and always make the room look lovely and welcoming to come back to. The views are one of the highlights of the hotel. They are truly exceptional, and probably one of the main draws for me to return. I wouldn't hesitate recommending this hotel to anyone who appreciates excellent, friendly service, and who wants peace and quiet. It is set in the hills above Sant Agnello, a suburb of Sorrento, and it is a real haven of tranquillity. Although it is a steep walk up the hill, there is an hourly courtesy bus provided by the hotel, to take one down to Sorrento.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel direct.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank pippa_taylor
ArtHotelGranParadiso, Responsabile reception at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

Dear Guest, thank you for reviewing your stay at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso. We value the opinion of our Guests and we hope to welcome you soon again in Sorrento.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,152)

Reviewed 12 May 2011

This will be my 8th time staying at the Art Hotel Gran Paradiso in Sorrento and i'm sure it will not be the last, as both the warmth and generosity of the staff along with the view are very rarely experienced. I once stayed at another hotel in Sorrento (Grand Hotel Vesuvio) but it didn't even come close to the standard of service we recieved here. The hotel last year appointed a new chef and the food quality is very high as a result and we haven't had a bad meal since we got here. The rooms are impeccably clean and the swimming pool area is gorgeous, with a view and a sunset to die for.
However, what keeps us coming back is the friendly nature and hospitality of the staff, which is second to none. The waiters are very polite, the reception could not do enough to help us, when we had issues with a baggage handling strike and everyone makes a point of greeting you. This is a five star service, not expected in a hotel of this value.
Although, the location is out of Sorrento, this suits us better, as it's away from the hustle and bustle of the town centre in an oasis of calm, plus there are regular courtesy bus services supplied by the hotel when we need to get in, until late in the evening to experience la passaggiata. Plus the location above the town means you don't get any of the traffic noise and a nice cooling breeze when the weather is very hot!
I cannot recommend the Art Hotel Gran Paradiso highly enough and will hopefully be booking my return journey soon.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank tpippa

Reviewed 10 May 2011

My family and i had an amazing time!
The staff is friendly and professional.i must complement the housekeeping departement for the cleanleness of the rooms and bathrooms.
we did not have lunch often but our last evening dinner we had it at the hotel and the chef surprised us!
for all visiting Sorrento do pop in and try the home made tiramisu!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Elisabeth94

Reviewed 1 May 2011

There's definitely better value for money out there. All the reviews about how rubbish the rooms are are true! NOT a 4 star...view was nice, but you can get good views anywhere. Pool nice too, but that's it. The hotel even had the hide to charge us for ice to be brought to our room - €4 - I don't care about €4, I just detest that you have to PAY FOR FROZEN WATER!!! Most hotels either have ice facilities or will bring it to you for free, not this bunch of scammers though. Please don't stay here, I'm not a fussy traveller but staying here runied our holiday.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mossy35
HGRANPARADISO, Direttore at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2011

Dear Mrs Mossy 35,

Thank you for posting you point of view on Tripadvisor.com.
You can imagine the result of a review like this one, where You are complaining for paying 4 Euros for the room service where for 3 times you have asked the Ice in room, 2 times the room service has been for free and for the only time it has been charged, a complain about all the facilities of the Hotel is needed.

The rooms have been painted this year, the sheets, covers, pillows and the amenity sets are brand new, and of a high quality of Frette. We do not understand how such reviews are allowed, in every hotel in the world the room service has to paied.

Yours sincerely,

Alberto C.
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 27 January 2011

Clean rooms overlooking the bay of Sorrento, the service by the pool and in thé restaurant are good and relaxed.
The view over the sea is unique. This Hotel is the ideal spot where to relax after a tyring day visiting the beauty that Sorrento area offer.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank WorlwideTraveller

Reviewed 3 December 2010

I spent a weekend with my boyfriend in this 4 star hotel in Sorrento in October and I had the best time EVER!
The hotel is located up a hill with a breathtaking view over the gulf, a few minutes from the city centre, easy to reach thanks to the hotel shuttle bus.
It's a perfect location to relax and have a romantic weekend. The rooms are very comfortable with a small balcony overlooking the sea; the hotel is a design hotel with beautiful paintings and furniture. But the best spot is the swimming pool, even though we didn't swim because the water was quite cold, the area is very nice with a unique view of the coast. The sunset from this place was OUTSTANDING.
The hotel staff were so helpful by suggesting the main restaurants, clubs and bars around the area even though my boyfriend and I preferred staying at the hotel. Here you can understand what does it mean being on HOLIDAY!!!
I will definetely go back!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marcy73

Reviewed 23 November 2010

I stayed in Art Gran Paradiso for 1 week as I had always wanted to visit Sorrento. It's the sort of place where, if you are happy to be out of your room for most of the day, you'll be fine.

The rooms were not that clean or modern and if you don't upgrade you will get views of either a brick wall, or an "Italian Garden" known to us Brits as the back of a building site.
They were however comfortable. They only had two TV channels in English.

Although the breakfasts were basic, the dinners were quite nice and the waiters and head waiter couldn't do enough for you! Not only were they friendly and always smiling but you felt incredibly welcome.

The views from the pool are absolutely stunning! Shame about the rest of the hotel.

Do always take the shuttle service though as it's a steep hill and a long tiring walk to the top of the hill. The service is reliable and on the hour apart from during their siesta where they don't run from about 2pm till 4pm.

Not the sort of hotel I would stay in again but I would definitely recommend Sorrento as a place to visit. The people were lovely!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends