“superior room?”

Ranked #39 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“superior room?”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This hotel has terrific views over the bay of Naples and is clean and tidy though be careful if you book a superior room as hotel states you have a small bath with a shower over it ,unfortunately i paid £209 extra for just a small cubical plastic shower .Good job me and my partner are slim as anyone over 15stone would struggle to get in it.The food is tasty and served hot.The waiter staff are curtious and always polite and smart.Wine starts at 10euros a bottle ,white,red and a nice rose at dinner.The shuttle bus is always on time too and a must in hot weather though if you are fit the climb not too bad up the hill. We stayed in the second week of August with temps of 35deg but this did not stop us enjoying Sorrento but will return in may or sept when just a little cooler for sight seeing.Overall i would give hotel 7/10 its peaceful location ,pleasing staff ,decent food and glorious views give it decent views.Though i hope they get there room booking problems corrected for next season.

Room Tip: make sure its the room you have paid for
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
HGRANPARADISO, Manager at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Dear trev47,

Thank you for your kind review on tripadvisor.com.

I hope that next season we will be able to get a better score once fixed the problems of the current year. We will continue to renew our facilities including the bathrooms.

Please be aware that in 2013 our hotel will be an adult only.

I will be waiting to welcome you again next season.

Best regards,

Alberto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My husband and I were greatly disappointed with this hotel! If you want a good view and nothing else then this is the place for you. We booked a room with a sea view and when we checked in... We were put in a room beneath the pool. They advertise that all the rooms have a balcony. That is not the case. Our room had a sea view but barely. You had to overlook the trash that was right in front of the room (from the pool guests above) that was never picked up during the week we stayed there. Also there were several things wrong with our room... The floors felt dirty, the towels smelled everyday, the toliet was crooked, the door frame was dry rotted, the blow dryer was broken, the light covering was taped on and came off everyday, and the mini fridge didn't work. Now about the location... It is on top of a steep hill that is a 20 minute walk uphill. They do offer a shuttle service, but they conveniently offer the shuttle times in a way where you want stay at the hotel for dinner and drinks as the only evening pick ups from town are at 6:30, 9 or 11. So you are rushed for dinner to reach the 9 bus or have to wait an hour for the 11 bus. We did both and none of which were pleasurable. Also one night we walked up the hill... Which is not ideal after you have already showered, dressed for dinner, and just had a big meal. We had a cooking class in town and they said they wouldn't come pick us up so we had to walk. Thus, the inconvenient location. One night we thought we would eat at the hotel, that was terrible as well. The dining room is very nice. However, the experience is totally ruined by the wait staff running down the aisles with their cart scrapping food off the plates etc. it is a €25 per person charge and you feel like you are in a cafeteria. It was pricey for not good food or service. We only ate there once. All in all, I do not recommend this hotel at all! I would never stay there again. If you want family friendly atmosphere and a good view in a place with mediocre food then you may like it.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Shell125
HGRANPARADISO, Manager at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear Shell125,

I am sorry for not being able to provide the accomodation that you were expecting.

I would like to inform you that our restaurant opens at 7pm, and the first bus during the night leaves at 8:45 pm. In order to avoid any rush, I would suggest you to have dinner at the opening, otherwise we risk to have all the responsibility for serving food in a rush at a reasonable price of Euro 25 per person for a 3 course menu.

Even if for your taste , we deserve one star, everithing is studied in order to provide a good service, also our free shuttle bus, it is studied for the needs of our Guests, the only thing is to plan everything in order to combine our services and Your expectations.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This was our second visit to the Art Gran Paradiso, Sorrento. The hotel was lovely with warm and welcoming staff there to help when you needed it. You could tell the Hotel was proud of its high standard. The room was clean, bright and spacious with a fantastic view of the Bay. The restuarant and bar area were relaxing and pleasant with food and drinks of a good standard. Though this hotel is a uphill walk from the City Centre, the view is well worth the walk!

Room Tip: Front rooms are excellent and worth the money.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Mrs Pauline,

Thank you for visiting us again this year.

It is a pleasure for us to know that you have enjoied your stay with us.

I hope to have the chance to welcome you again in the future.

Best regards,

Mjhebb
Reviewed 17 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights at the end of July having booked as an independent traveller with my wife and another couple. We booked through Voyage for a superior room and sea view etc. The hotel appeared to cater for mainly travel groups/agencies and this was obvious when we tried to get an evening meal on our first night. The only option was a €35 4 course meal which would be included for those on half board etc but for us not the case. We asked if there was an alternative menu with one person saying to sit outside and be served off a 'room service' type menu. OK we thought, only to be informed by a waiter that if we sat outside then it would cost an additional €5 EACH just for the privilege. We went back to our rooms and ordered room service which was very good. The next evening the meal had reduced to €30 but still no alternative so we had room service and on the last evening we ate out. Our room was fine with lots of space but our family even having paid the same money got a much less pleasant room - not what I would call superior. We were told the hotel rooms with views were all taken so no alternative could be found. Don't expect anything other that a 3 star hotel which although clean is in need of some care and attention. Bring on the 'Hotel Inspector'. Oh and don't expect the reception staff to know anything about the tours they offer. We booked a trip along the Amalfi coast to be told it would take an hour which we knew not to be realistic but 9 hours later we got back to the hotel! And this was the short trip not the advertised all day trip, nevertheless good value for €34. Would I go again - no, unless it was a package then I might consider it.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
HGRANPARADISO, Manager at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, responded to this review, 18 August 2012
Dear Mjhebb,

Thank you for your kind review on tripadvisor.com.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I would like to tell you that the menu with 4 courses served once a week costs euro 30,00 and includes a musical entertainment. But it is not compulsory as you can chosse to eat also one course if you would like, You are not obliged to choose the whole 4 course menu.

With the exception of the menu mentioned above, the other menues are served at a cost of Euro 25,00 per person, and always you can choose to each just one dish an pay for one dish, if you would like.

I think also that there is an other misunderstanding concerning the excursions, the Amalfi excursion. The drive takes one hour to get to Amalfi as the distance from Sorrento to Amalfi is of 40km.

I hope you will be able to give un an other chance in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The Pictures on the Hotels website are the best thing about the hotel, the view.
Our first night was spent in a tiny side room, even though i had paid extra for a sea view and terrace, (booked through Thomas Cook). We were moved into a front room the following day but only after complaining, speaking to other guests, we apparently were not the only ones to go through this.
The food in the dining room was boring, most of it tasted the same, all covered in gravy or sauces whether you wanted it or not, the staff in the dining room were mostly very good, but at busy periods we were ignored and had to wait too long as did others.
The cleaning maids were very good at their job, but seemed under pressure and worked at a high speed.
The shuttle bus service into Sorrento is definately needed, although not often enough, and the last one back at 2300 is always full, with lots standing on occasions.
The hill up to the hotel is very very steep and narrow, not a public highway, with another 10 minutes walk into town from the foot of the hill.
The fridge stopped working in our room and despite notifying reception twice, it was still not working when we left.
The toilet was difficult to flush from when we moved into room 304, but stopped working altogether for 2 days, resulting in notifying reception 3 times, and having to dash to the toilet in reception on a couple of occasions.
The noise from adjacent rooms is terrible, listening to their toilets flushing and the occupants conversations clearly.
Doors slamming at any time of day or night.
If you read my other reviews on here, you will see that they are ones full of praise, I do not normally criticise in this way, but after staying at Englands number 1 hotel as reviewed on this website, this Hotel is a world apart.
Despite the failings of this supposedly 4 star Hotel, we still had a great holiday and recommend Sorrento to everyone.

Room Tip: The fourth floor might escape some of the noise, the best view is obviously the sea view and across...
1 Thank Martin H
Dear Martin H,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor.

I am sorry if we did not meet your expectation.

We are renewing and modifying every piece of our hotel step by step, I hope that during your next visit to Sorrento, We will be able to have an other chance to have you as a Guest.

Yours sincerely,

Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I've just returned from a very enjoyable week at the Gran Paradiso with my wife and daughter. We had stayed at the hotel last year and liked it so much that we returned again for a return visit, something we've never done before.
So, what are the attractions?
In terms of room, it was clean, spacious, excellent air conditioning and well serviced, my only moan as a Brit abroad would be the absence of tea making facilities in the room and a bin in the room would have been convenient in addition to the small bin in the bathroom. Sea views are magnificent with a stunning view of the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in! Bathroom's fine, it's not five star but there was a good shower and bath and was all we needed.
Food was good although a little limited in choice particularly in the evening. For breakfast there was a fairly wide choice of both cooked (bacon, scrambled eggs) and cold (bread, ham, fruit, pastries etc), the fruit juices were too sweet for my liking but there was a plentiful stream of coffee. We had lunch at the hotel a couple of times, it was always good quality, prepared to order and comparable to the prices you'd pay in Sorrento itself, so whilst not necessarily cheap, was nonetheless reasonable. Evening meals again gave a fair amount of choice with normally four options for starter, main and dessert, the only exception to that being the weekly Gala meal where there is a set menu. Again all the food was good quality and, although Sorrento has got some fabulous restaurants, we ate in every night and didn't feel we'd missed out on anything. I don't know whether the hotel might swap an evening meal for a lunchtime but that might be worth considering and attractive to some guests. The service at all meal times was exceptionally good, not just professional but very friendly and welcoming, the house wine was also good value.
There did seem to be some sun loungers that had seen better days but apart from that the pool area was good (safe, clean, nice pool) with guests enjoying fantastic views of the surrounding area.
The hotel is a little outside Sorrento itself and is 500m up a very steep hill, so it could be tough going, particularly in the heat, however for those who can't face the walk there is a regular and reliable shuttle bus.
My wife and daughter absoluely love Gran Paradiso and would have given it five stars, I'm a bit picky so I'm sticking with my four but we are looking forward to returning, it is good value, staff are very helpful and we would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SimonJC_1
HGRANPARADISO, Manager at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Mr SimonJC_1,

Thank you for your detailed review about our hotel.

I am glad that you have enjoied your stay with, us hope to have the chance to welcome you again in our hotel. May be next time we will be able to get a 5!

Schellebelle, Belgium
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We enjoyed our 10-day stay at this hotel. You have a lovely view if you're at the pool or in your room (we had a room with seaview). The staff is very nice and friendly.

The shuttle service was very good (a must because the hotel is on a mountain); if you were coming back from a trip, you could also call the hotel to come and get you down the hill (it's not that you can't get there without the shuttle bus; we did it a few times but in the afternoon it's very hot)

About our room: very clean room; only the shower was a bit old (sometimes the sliding door got stuck) and small. Also our balcony wasn't big if you compare it to other rooms but we almost don't sit at the balcony so that wasn't a problem for us. Note: the manager asked us after a few days whether we didn't want to change from room (to get a bigger balcony). We refused it because we didn't want to move all our clothes etc but it was a very nice and friendly offer! (we didn't complain about it so it was nice he offered it by himself)

What was very good at the room was the airconditining; it was always functioning. In most hotels we stayed in the past; the airco was out if you left the room.

At the pool, we didn't see any parasols allthough it was listed in the brochure (my wife is pregnant and can't lay in the sun all day). After all, that wasn't a big problem because the sun beds had something that can be placed above the head to have some shade.

Breakfast was good but not outstanding. I think there was something with the toaster because we only saw this on our first and last day? A bit more warm things (eg boiled eggs) would have been nice too but it was always the same warm food (eggs with bacon or eggs with sausages)

For dinner, there were 4 choices between starter / main course and dessert. Always something for everybody (meat / chicken / vegetarian / fish) in my opinion; I always liked it.
A few small remarks:
* once a week there is a "gala dinner"; you receive an extra course (4 instead of 3) but you don't have any choice. In my opinion, gala dinner isn't better because you don't have a choice.
* a bit more time between every course would be (much) nicer. If you eat up everything, your next course is there within a few minutes. A bit too fast in my opinion!

There is free wifi at the hotel (ask a login/password at the reception), that was nice!

The drinks were pretty expensive but I guess that's the price for the region (the hotel was cheaper than Sorrento City. A white wine in the hotel costs 3.5€; in Sorrento City 4.5€! Coke /Lemonade/Water was 2.5€).

Some hints for the manager:
- let them serve some nuts or crips when you drink something at the bar at night
- music at the pool would be nice. If you were lying at the other side of the bar, you didn't hear the music

Conclusion: very good hotel price/quality!

Room Tip: choose a room with seaview or lateral seeview; otherwise you don't have a good view!
Dear Kenny_1983,

Thank you very much for writing about us.

I am glad that you have spent a good time at our hotel.

We have started a renovation program concerning all the bathrooms, I hope you will be able to visit us again in order to see the change.