“Great pool and views” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
newcastle
“Great pool and views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

Situated right at the top of a cliff with views of the coast and Vesuvius. The infinity pool make the most of these in the day and the sunsets are beautiful.

The downside to this location is you are at the top of a cliff. You can't really walk to the town but there is a free bus service to and from Sorrento which solves this problem. However it sometimes leaves a few minutes early and isn't in the best condidtion, no one seems to mind people standing up when all the seats are full but this seemed a bit dangerous to me. On the whole the views from the pool and our balcony may these difficulties worth while.

The food was excellent, we were given menus at breakfast in order to pick our evening meal, service was great in the restaurant and by the pool. Half board meant we had to pay for drinks and given the location we couldn't really stock up on our own from the supermarket! They made a fair bit of money from us as it was so hot. Bottles of water held about 2 pints and cost E2.50 and soft drinks were about 4 euros.

The reception, bar, pool and restaurant areas were all great but our room looked a little "tired" and could have done with a facelift. That said the bed was comfortable and everything worked.

Service at the hotel was excellent, reception staff were good at dealing with querries and the maids were very efficient. We would pass them in the corridor on the way to breakfast and by the time we got back our room was cleaned to a high standard.

A very peaceful and relaxing hotel and a good base to explore the surrounding area from. Watch out if you hire a car- steep cliffs, Italian drivers and crowded roads mrans this can be a stressful option!

2 Thank gee777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Polish first
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2009

Okay, so Im 16 and went to this hotel with my mum dad and 18 year old sister. we came from gatwick airport to naples airport. we went to this hotel for one week. thank. god.

we were then put on a 2 hour coach journey with a clearly intoxicated holiday rep who would not stop talking, making jokes about the moutains nearby blowing up. he then said "if you want me to stop talking take a headache tablet because i wont shut up" i was like whatever... how annoying?

the hotel was situated up a 300 meter steep hill approx in which we had to travel up in the coach. it was nice and bumpy and this was the only way of gettin out the hotel in the day too, on a special hotel bus that transported guests to and from the city of sorrento. the bus itself was sweaty, no seatbelts and very dirty.

the food... oh my god. we payed for half board food and as my sister quotes "sick on a plate doesnt even cover it." it was DISGUSTING. please look at my pictures to see some of the delightful choices they had to offer! most nights it was swordfish which on the menu said it was frozen. packet mash, grizzle in the meat, purple risoto and a delightful desert of cake made solely of whipped cream.

with this said, the outdoor poolside menu was actually very nice. they had lots of lovely meals like spagetti with mussels, fries, pastas and pizzas. but this was no prepaid and was expensive. one family lunch came to 50 euros.

the 'entertainment' was twice a week and consisted of a man singing to a backing track of old classics such as barry white and whitney houstan. the other night was what i like to call 'veal on wheels'. the picture included will help describe this! the resteraunt staff basicly wheel round a cut off veal garnished with dry pasta and they clap. other guests clapped along to the penetrative sound of the parade-like backing track that was played through the resteraunt. me and my family sat there laughing, so in all honesty it was entertainment.

the rooms wer small, stuffy and the cleaner pickd up our dirty towels off the floor then rehung them on the rack pretending to have issued us with fresh ones. mmm :) there was also a really nice rust thickening around the shower. please note this was our second room as the first one was like a prison cell- our prepaid 'sea view' preference turned out to be a bush infested with mosquitos. there were also the occasional lizards that came to stay with us for the night that liked to crawl up the walls and down my head board, guaranteeing me a good nights sleep.

the pool was one of the strongest points; it was very beautiful, an infinity pool, and overlooked a panoramic scene of the italian coast line. also the sunsets and moonrises were delightful. the weather was brilliant everyday and i got a great tan.

the guests were pretensious people who found interest in seeking arguments with me and my sister. one woman on the bus back from sorrento town started mumbling how rude and obnoxious we were to push on to the bus. just for the record, we didnt push, my sister was in pain from the poor water and food.

i will not be returning to italy.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Cloecorpse
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2009

It's one thing to be on the Amalfi Coast ... yet quite another to experience a stay at the Gran Paradiso! The location, the hotel, the staff, the food, the local activities .... couldn't be more perfect.
Start your day off with a walk to the big tree at the bottom of the hill ... then back up again! ... enjoy a wonderful breakfast with Guiseppi ... lounge by the pool overlooking the town of Sorrento and the Coast ... Michaela will be happy to serve you your favorite Prosecco or two! Take the shuttle into town to shop and have a granita ... or arrange a day at Capri ... return to the large beautiful rooms all overlooking the sea to get ready for dinner ... the delicious local ingredients and recipes of Sorrento are served right there at the Paradiso ... watch the sunset while you sip a little limoncello on the patio ... if you need anything Angelina is always there to assist ... possible the best hotel I've stayed at in all my travels ... I would highlly HIGHLY recommend it ... and if you can find Tony he'll show you the best day along the Amalfi Coast ...

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank pidrenee
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

We would recommend the Gran Paradiso hotel to couples who are looking for a romantic week away. The views are amazing. We requested a sea view and it was well worth paying the small extra fee. It meant that we had a large balcony overlooking the pool and could see both Capri and Mount Vesuvius in the distance. The staff are highly efficient and friendly. They made our stay all the more enjoyable.
The shuttle bus takes you directly to the Sorrento train station which is handy for going excursions during the day. Despite previous reviews, we found that the shuttle bus was always on time. It would have been better if there had been more shuttle bus runs (only 9 a day) but as there was only one man driving it all week we can understand! As the previous post mentioned - watch out for queue jumpers!
The pool was good and never too busy for a swim. Breakfast was basic but tasty and dinner was lovely. There was always a choice of 4 or 5 starters and main courses. We missed dinner on the first night as our flight was quite late so the staff put out a couple of cold platters in our room - a testament to their excellent service. In addition, when we had questions about the area the reception answered in a polite and helpful manner.
Be prepared that the hotel is not in the centre of Sorrento, but if you are prepared to use the shuttle bus it is well worth it because of the spectacular views and excellent service.

1 Thank ghui
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

I love Grand Paradiso!!! Great accomodation and hospitality! Best pool ever seen... friendly staff and wonderful music on sunday with Dj Peppe that plays lounge music on the terrace. thanks guys

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank swordfishfc
Chichester, West Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

This is a great hotel. Set high above Sorrento overlooking the bay of Naples in a very peaceful location with the impressive Vesuvius (Volcano that destroyed Pompeii) staring straight back at you.

I had a week out there from the 24th -31st and the weather was clear blue skies every day with temperatures high into the 90s.The hotel is designed very simply, ie pool area/bar area/restaurant and 24hr lobby reception. The sunsets are to die for, so so beautiful.

The shuttle bus service was okay, but unfortunately there is no queuing system so its very much like survival of the fittest to get a seat or even a place on the bus.

All of the hotel staff were fantastic/helpful and could speak good English.

A day trip to Capri is a must, but be warned it is so expensive over there. But well worth it.

My only real bug bear was the steep hill, in that it is steep, a mile long steep and in the soaring heat you need to be fit as its a killer!! Its at least a 10 minute walk up and its also quite dangerous, especially if you have seen how the italians drive. lol. Its then a 15-20 minute walk from the bottom of the hill into Sorrento. Taxis cost fifteen Euros if you miss the shuttle bus. 25 Euros after midnight.

Would I go back to the Grand Paradiso? Yes I would.

Adrian & Linda.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank Gadgeroo
Wales,UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

My wife and I returned from a week in Sorrento on Friday 31st July, tired after a very long day and with a very positive view of our stay at the Gran Paradiso Hotel in Sant’Agnello, and Sorrento in general. Prior to our stay, I had read many comments both favourable and less favourable about the hotel and it’s facilities.

On the whole I have nothing but praise for the service, staff and facilities at the hotel. On our arrival on Friday 24th at lunchtime, we were collected from one of the petrol stations in Sant’Agnello by one of the two excellent shuttle drivers (sorry but his name escapes me). We were accompanied by another couple and ushered into a somewhat ancient minibus, which then made it’s way up the steep hill to the hotel. Previous posts have mentioned how steep this hill actually is, and it was quite an experience sitting in the bus as it screeched around each corner as it made it’s ascent towards the hotel. The view on the way up to the hotel was spectacular, but this was nothing compared to the view when we reached the hotel.

On arrival at the hotel we were very quickly and efficiently checked in by the reception staff, and in a flash our bags were in our room. Despite being a standard room at the rear of the hotel the room was spacious, spotlessly clean and the air-conditioning a welcome relief from the midday heat. At this point I will voice my only criticism of the hotel. The reception staff provided us with a sheet which listed the times of the shuttle bus, and the various modes of transport available in Sorrento, namely the Circumvesuviana and the SITA bus service. On one side of the sheet something caught my eye! A pair of shorts with a cross and the words “Shorts are not allowed at DINNER TIME”. When I sought clarification from the reception staff, I was informed that it was a rule of the hotel that men could not wear shorts for the evening meal. I advised the reception that I had only one pair of travel-weary trousers with me and had I known, I would have brought a smart but light pair of trousers to wear in the evening. I was quite frankly gob-smacked when it was suggested I go down to Sorrento and purchase a cheap pair of trousers to wear in the evening. That evening when my wife and I went down for dinner I saw a number of men wearing shorts, clearly in breach of what I was told was a strict rule of the hotel. To be fair to the hotel, some discussion between our Thomas Cook rep and the hotel management resulted in a relaxation of the rule, allowing me and other male guests to wear our smart shorts in the evening. As previously mentioned, this is the only minor criticism I have of our stay at the hotel, but it would have been sensible if this rule was made known to people in advance. I was certainly not aware of it when we booked the holiday. So a word of caution to future male guests – take some trousers to wear to dinner.

My wife and I were particularly impressed with the service at the bar and in the restaurant, with Giuseppe and Alessandro going out of their way to provide excellent service. The breakfasts were very good with a plentiful supply of the typical continental breakfast fare. Evening meals were good and varied and the wines not too expensive – typically around 15 euros. My wife and I ate in the restaurant every evening (half-board) and we did not feel it necessary to go into Sorrento, although a visit to a local restaurant would have been nice.

The shuttle service provided by the hotel was to be quite honest excellent, and essential, and we never failed to get a place on a minibus. My wife and I walked the steep hill once together, and I walked it once alone with a backpack after an early morning walk, and I would not recommend it particularly in the hottest part of the day. Whilst not too challenging for a reasonably fit individual, to walk it in the heat of the day with a bag of camera gear on your back is definitely not advised. So, our sincere thanks to the two excellent drivers who ferried us back and fore to Sorrento. One point to note is that they are currently using two buses, one modern with air-conditioning, the other older and a little tired looking. I just wish people would not queue jump!!!

In brief, we found the pool and snack area very good, and the cleaning staff kept our room and the hotel in general spotlessly clean. One of the guys on reception was also very helpful, allowing me to plug my small external drive into the reception computer to check that my photographs had transferred successfully.

So in summary, I can honestly say that my wife and I would recommend the hotel Gran Paradiso and Sorrento without hesitation. The coastline is fantastic with many trips available to enable exploration. A great holiday destination. Martin

2 Thank mgjsmith