“THE PERFECT END TO AN AMAZING HOLIDAY”

Art Hotel Gran Paradiso
Ranked #39 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Sydney, Australia
“THE PERFECT END TO AN AMAZING HOLIDAY”
Reviewed 1 November 2009

From the moment we arrived at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, we were treated as part of their family. Amazing hospitality, with no request big or small, being too much to ask. From finding us alternative accommodation and personally driving us due to an earlier arrival than initially booked to tour advice, arranging drivers for day trips, recommending the best and cheapest, free shuttle service hourly into the heart of Sorrento or just passing time chatting away at the front desk. Not many hotels I know of where you get that kind of service these days!! But really the thing that makes Art Hotel Gran Paradiso is the staff. The hotel is situated on the top of a hill with breathtaking views overlooking Sorrento and the bay of Naples with the Vesuvio vulcano. After looking at a number of hotels online Art Hotel Gran Paradiso sounded too good to be true - central location, quiet, inexpensive, great rooms, buffet breakfast included, amazing pool with breathtaking views and of course wonderful staff. And yet despite sounding too good to be true, it surpassed all of our expectations. On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by Massemo who outlined the free shuttle service into Sorrento, breakfast, lunch and dinner times and arranged an upgrade to a seaview room with a terrace. Our room was spacious and very very clean. The food in the restaurant was sensational and in particular the Gala night dinner. I must mention again amazing the staff were and in particular Massemo and Michele the barman who made our night every night. We loved Art Hotel Gran Paradiso so much that we were already missing the day we arrived to our hotel in Rome. We will definitely return and stay longer if we can. Thanks to Massemo, Michele, Mariano and Alberto who made our stay an unforgettable one.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank rrossy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Polish first
Stockholm
Reviewed 30 October 2009

This hotel is situated on a hill overlooking Sorrento and the bay of Naples with the Vesuvio vulcano. The view is excellent by all standards and perhaps the most noticable thing about this hotel. The hotel is clean and rooms are modern with spot lighting. The only drawback was the very much too small TV in our room. Breakfast is pretty basic but you get what you need.
The road leading to the hotel is narrow to drive on and very much uphill. There is a hotelbus running at frequent intervalls and it is free. The pool area is overlooking the bay and beautiful by all standards. An amazing view!! Overall this hotel mostly rely on the amazing view and in my opinion that alone makes the visit worthwhile. We are happy we found this hotel with it´s majestic view.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Scandinavian01
Leeds
Reviewed 12 October 2009

I am 24 years old and am a Senior Account Developer for Google. I provide this information, not to brag, but so that you understand the reason for the nature of my post. I stayed at the 'Art' Gran Paradiso Hotel for 1 week with my fiancee of 25 years old. The stay was disapointing to say the least. This is not a 4* hotel. It is barely a 2*, and could be compared to a holiday inn. The Hotel is situated on top of a hill, roughly 30minute walk away from Sorrento Town. We knew this before we left, and so, cant complain about this fact at all. But make sure you have hiking boots with you unless you are willing to wait for the hotel shuttle bus, which only runs every couple of hours, and stops early in the evening.
My main concern was how pretensious the hotel was. They have clearly sold themselves as a retreat for couples, or a quiet relaxation hotel. This was true, if you are RICH and over the age of 50.
Every tourist in the hotel, save a select few, were ignorant, and seemed to take a personal offense to the fact they weren't the only residents staying in the hotel at the time....looking at everyone else like [-]. The resteraunt staff weren't much better. There was 1 head waiter, and about 5 porters during meal times. We saw the head waiter once during our meals, and he made an obvious effort to ignore us throughout. Every guest who wore suits or shirts, and walked around with a higher sense of themselves, were treated like royalty. We, on the other hand, had to change our 'perminant' table on 5 occasions to make way for people staying one night under bed and breakfast. We were offered drinks at the start of our meal, and had to walk to the bar (outside of the resteraunt), just to have our glasses refilled, and when I openly asked the head waiter why we were being treated differently to the other guests....we were given no explination or appaulogy. They were looking for the guests they expected to leave a tip and ignoring the rest. This was a mistake, as both my partener and I earn a fortune, but dress like any other young person in the uk!
This brings me nicely onto the menu. If you are looking to stay here, dont go half/full board. Eat out at every opportunity. This is a coastal resort, so you would expect all seafood to be fresh. It wasn't. It was all frozen and overcooked. They offer no vegitarian option. I was anxiously looking forward to a rosmary leg of lamb one night, as all other meals had been so disapointing. It was processed meat with rosemary sprinkled over the top at the end of cooking. We were expecting to sample some traditional, famous Italian food. To be honest, I have had a better italian from a local asian takeaway!!!
We stayed in a side room to the hotel, which overlooked a wall and tin roof bellow. If you are looking to stay here, pay the extra cash, and get a room overlooking the sea front....its truely breathtaking.
The entire city of Sorrento shuts down at midnight, including the hotels. There is no nightlife to speak of anywhere...only quiet bars. The hotel did hire a traditional Italian singer and guitarist every wednesday. He turned up singing english songs, in a terrible accent, using backing tracks from a kareoke machine. Simply Terrible!!!
Also, this hotel is supposed to be covered with beautiful art.....what a joke. I wish I had taken photos of our room, but we had 3 pictures that all looked like a 3 year old created them in playschool. They have a large papermache model of a man in the reception, similar to a project I had to do in primary school art class. So, dont let the name Art Gran Paradiso fool you.
The one good thing I took away from this experience was the bar guy named 'Michelle'. He had a wife and family, and worked his butt off to ensure he kept his customers happy. Probably because he needed the job so badly, and got paid nothing. He went out of his way to make our evenings special. Knowing that all other guests went to bed at 10.30...he spent the last few hours of the night talking to us and teaching us advanced Italian. We prayed for the evenings to come, just so we could talk to someone who didnt judge us in any way.
I dont want to dishearten anyone who has already booked their holiday, but if you are not retired, and expected a true romatic Italian experience, then this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TezzaR
UK
Reviewed 10 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Gran Parasdiso on our honeymoon at the end of Sept/beginning of October 2009. From the moment we arrived we were treated exceptionally well by all of the staff. Our room was fantastic, we did upgrade to a sea view when we booked. The room was basic to some, no tea/coffee facilities/fridge, but we were not expecting that anyway. The room was large and airy, and incredibly clean, and cleaned daily to a very high standard. We had our own terrace with table and chairs to sit out each evening and watch the breathtaking sunsets.

Our holiday was half board but we did not expect the food to be so good. In fact we only ate out one evening and that was Saturday night, because we thought we should try somewhere else as we were in Italy! The food was magnificent, especially on Gala night. The portions were a good size, we never went to bed hungry. Our waitress Angeline, was the sweetest lady, so good at her job and so friendly. Guiseppe the head waiter was wonderful and very efficient. Michele the bar man was a star! My husband and he got on very well and talked a lot of football. The staff really made us feel special. I think some of the staff could have been percieved as a bit grumpy, but I think thats just the language barrier, once you speak to them properly you would find that they were very nice.

The breakfasts we perfect for us, croissants, jams, bread rolls, cheese, ham etc. even cake! If you are expecting to get a good ol' British fry up, then this is not the place for you!

The hotel is expensive for drinks and lunches, but then all of Sorrento is. You can expect to pay 4.5 Euros for a pint of lager, and 10 Euros for a bottle of wine at the hotel, which is pretty much the same in Sorrento town - a little bit cheaper if you go to an English bar. To save some money we would buy wine from the supermarket in the town and take that up to the room to drink on the balcony before and after dinner. The drink at the supermarkets costs a LOT less at around 3 - 10 Euros, depending on your tastes of course!

The hotel is situated right on top of a cliff so you do have to rely on the shuttle bus to get to and from Sorrento town, this wasnt a problem for us at all, it was easy for us to arrange our day around the bus. The driver Mariano works so hard! All day every day!
I admit I was concerned about the hotel being out of town before we booked, but we are so glad we took the risk because the view from the hotel, looking over the Bay of Naples, Mt. Vesuvius and The Isle of Capri, is so beautiful, it literally took my breath away, and so for that alone it was worth the money.

The pool was gorgeous, I cannot swim myself but I still loved being in there, just looking over the bay and really chilling out. The weather was glorious every day but one, when it rained slightly, and there was a thunderstorm, which was magnificent to watch from our balcony.

Sorrento itself is an absolutely gorgeous place, I loved every minute of it. The people were so welcoming and warm. Be aware that there is no traffic control at all so be careful when crossing streets, though nobody drives very fast. We went on day trips to Capri and Pompeii, both were brilliant, but if you think Sorrento is expensive, wait til you get to Capri! Well worth it though.

All in all I couldnt have wished for a more perfect honeymoon, great hotel, delicious food, friendly staff, spectacular views and great value. We shall definitely go back there on our Anniversary.

2 Thank Plan_M
moray scotland
Reviewed 4 October 2009

We are just back from a fortnight in the Gran Paradiso,Sorrrento. Had a lovely relaxing time and could not fault the service provided by the restaurant staff in particular Guiseppe the Maitre'De and our waiter Michel. The hotel looks somewhat dated from the front aspect, but has a funky modern interior in all main areas and great art work. The bedrooms are a little dated to be honest but spacious and the balcony on a standard room is small. However, the beds were clean and very comfy and the bathrooms very roomy and with all mod cons. Hairdryer included. The rooms were cleaned every day with fresh towels and beds sheets changed every two days.
All staff were very pleasant and helpful.
The highlight is the pool and terrace area which definately has a wow factor! the views are stunning.
The down side to the location is the position high up on the hill above Sorrento, it is not suitable for anyone with walking difficulties/disability. Ther are a few car park spaces but limited. The shuttle bus we found to be very reliable. I had read on other reviews that the bus was hit and miss and not at suitable times, but we found this not to be the case. The hotel also transport you down the hill to the garage at the main road to catch your airport transfers and trip buses
If I am honest the view from the room we had was of a brick wall to a neighbouring small holding farm, but not overlooked. We had not paid for a sea view room so were not too sure what to expect. There are a couple of cockerels on the small holding that do crow as early as 5am, but with that and the bells sounding the time from the local churches, we felt it added to the charm of the place.
Food was plentiful, great choice for vegetarians and meat eaters alike, more in the style of good home cooking than in fine dining but very well presented and tasty.

Ayrshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2009

Just back from 2 glorious weeks at Gran Paradiso Hotel,only 3 slight moans
1- Bottled water in Hotel is 3 times the cost of petrol or diesel at approx.£15 a gallon.
2-The Hotel needs to upgrade its in -room facilities,no tea or coffee making.
3- The Hotel needs to upgrade its in -room entertainment,only CNN in englishall other channels in German,no music or sports channels.
Everything else is absolutely BRILLIANT from views to service to loction to friendliness of staff.We will certainly be returning to Gran Paradiso.
Getting up every morning and seeing Vesuvius from the balcony is unbelievable.

Bedford
Reviewed 18 September 2009

OK...let me just state one point, im not the sort of snotty person who expects the best, not by any means, but i believe in value for money and courtesy.

I'll first of all go through the bad points.

Me and my wife paid for a balcony room with a sea view. After arriving at the hotel and being told our room will be ready in 30 minutes. We went and had some lunch, although when i tried to order, the waiter was rude and unwelcoming and looked at me in disgust when i tried to order at 11.59am when they start serving at 12pm..., (we werent told when the room was done) we ventured up to our room (3rd floor). it was the size of a small cupboard, and although we could see the sea, it was through tiny shutters...we then went downstairs and demanded to be moved, so we went back upstairs hauling our cases into a room which was bigger and had a balcony, unfortunetly we had a lovely view of the car park, there were some nice cars in there, but i wanted to see the sea...so we marched down again and demanded to have a better room otherwise Cosmos would be informed and we would demand a hotel change. finally we got a room we wanted, on the 4th floor, once again we had to carry the bags up (we did notice a guy carrying bags up for some people, but not for us?...because we are young? i dont know...)

Once in the room was ok, good size, although the shower doors were on rails, but kept coming off, on a few occasions my wife was nearly crushed by a glass door.

The food was ok because we were on half board so we got it all free. Its strange though, rather than it coming out on your plate it comes out in a metal dish and they scoop it onto your plate infront of you...weird. I would'nt have paid for the food though.

A few more little things, the cleaner decided to take my wifes nighty, when we asked for it back, they went to pass it over the reception infront of everyone, we had to ask for it to be taken upstairs...embarrassing.

They give you little tokens for pool towels, but when we went, there werent any. We then went out to the pool, only to see 2 minutes later people coming out with them. So i went in and some were ready, thanks for letting us know!!!

Finally the location, the hill will be a struggle to walk up for anyone who doesnt consider themselves fit. we walked up about 3 times, and in the 35 degree heat it is hard. The bus we found was ok as long as you plan your days around it.

OK. the good things, the pool is lovely and clean, and the view amazing, as long as you have a sea facing one...

A few final thoughts, the head waiter is a right smooze, 'oo lovely lady' etc etc we called him Mr cheddar because he was so cheesy.

Also if you go to pompey DONT GO with a tour, it cost around €40 a head or something. Simply get the hotel bus to the station, get a return train ticket to pompey (€4 a head) and then entrance fee, which is €11 for most, but if you are aged between 18 and 24 make sure you asked for the reduced price of €5, (have passport to prove age)...it cost us €18 for both of us rather than €80....

Thanks for reading,

Adam and Katherine Barker

P.S we met some lovely people out there. If you need any more info email me at adam.barker1@hotmail.co.uk

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple