1,245 results
All reviewssteep hillshuttle bussea viewbay of naplespool areahalf boardevening mealevery houramazing viewscliff facinglovely hotelrestaurant staffreception staffshuttle servicehead waiterour honeymoonalways on time
Reviewed 18 July 2007

We booked with a Direct holiday company and arrived at the Gran Paradiso on June 29th for seven days.
We always use the Sorrento Palace Hotel but this year, we stayed on the island of Ishcia for our second week and the hotel offered withe Sorrento Palace was one we knew and chose not to use.
I knew we would be arriving about 10pm and as my husband is diabetic, I telephoned the hotel the week before to see whether a meal would be available. I was told there certainly would be.
On our arrivel we had a plate with cold meat, some tomato and cucumber, clingwrapped on a plate in our room, not what we had expected.On previous occasions when we have stayed at the Sorrento Palace and arrived late, we have been taken into the A La Carte dining room and served a meal.
The Gran Paradiso is listed in the brochure with the Sorrento Hotels and although it did say the bars and restaurants in St. Angello were 500 metres away, we though that the Gran Paradiso must be towards Sorrento.
The journey from the main road up to the Gran Paradiso was certainly a shock. We could not believe the long steep winding hill- no mention of this in the brochure - although it does say the Hotel is on a hillside we certainly did not expect such a steep hill.
On more than one occasion we used a taxi and asked the driver to measure the distance from the main road up to the hotel and each time we were told it was almost a kilometre, and when you get to the bottom of the hill, you then have to walk into the centre of St. Angello.
The courtesy coaches were not adequate. The times in the morning going down were 7.45, 9.30, 11.15 and 12.15, the bus dropped you at the railway/bus station in Sorrento and the return journeys were 15 minutes later.
The afternoon journeys down were 4.15, 5.15, 6.15 and 8.30pm,
return journeys being 15 minutes later. In the evening there was another journey up the bank, picking up at a different point, at 11pm.
In the afternoon if you missed the 12.30 bus up the hill, you either had to wait until 4.30; use the local bus part of the way and then walk up the steep hill; walk the whole of the way from either Sorrento or St. Agatha, or - as we did on some occasions, use a taxi. Taxis cost 20 Euro - not cheap.
My husband and I walked down the hill in about 8-10 minutes but it took at least half an hour to walk up - not relaxing in either the heat of the afternoon or late at night. There were no lights on the way up the hill other than one hotel and the odd local residence.
No local transport was available up to the hotel.
We felt we were living by the bus timetable to get back and forwards to our hotel and found this very frustrating.
For our meals we were seated with another couple who arrived at the hotel with us, they were not happy having to sit with strangers and so we felt they were avoiding us at mealtimes - happy holiday! I feel this is something that should be mentioned ion the brochure.
The food was in the main unappetising, breakfast was poor and tea, coffee and fruit juice were dispensed from machines.. For most of the week one of the coffee machines was out of order and I find having to queue for a hot drink at breakfast unacceptable - this is certainly not 4 star - and this is the first time
in any hotel that I have seen tomato and cucumber at breakfast..
The evening meals had to ordered at breakfast time and again lacked inspiration.
We only had one panel as a shower guard instead of three, there
was none at the end and only one on the long side of the bath, the shower was in the middle of the long wall, so it was a work of art trying not to have the floor awash. Other guests were in the same situation.
I feel that it is extremely important for the traveller that when hotels are described in brochures, the location, facilities, meals and rating are as near 100% correct as possible.
We were very disappointed with our stay at the Gran Paradiso, this should most definately not be advertised along with Sorrento Hotels. There should be a separate section for Sorrento, St. Angello and St. Agatha.
We have stayed at the Sorrento Palace Hotel for many years and have had wonderful holidays, and although it is rated as four star plus, there is absolutely no comparison with the Gran Paradiso and I would say that the Gran Paradiso should only be 3 star.
Despite all this, we enjoyed our holiday and had our ususal trips to Amalfi, Ravello, Positano and Pompeii - not to mention the Freigners' Club in the evening for the dancing.
I hasten to add we have already booked our holiday for next year -- at the Sorrento Palace.

Abbie_7

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
9  Thank abbie_7
ArtHotelGranParadiso, Responsabile reception at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

Dear Guest, thank you for reviewing your stay at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso. We value the opinion of our Guests and we hope to welcome you soon again in Sorrento.

Reviewed 31 January 2007

Dear TripAdvisor members,

I am writing this review to confirm that this hotel has something special; there is a special athmosphere that makes you feel at home.
The staff, especially Guiseppe, Albeto, Bruno are always ready to meet your needs and satisfy your wishes.
The structure is beautiful: beautiful terracaes surrounding the gulf of Napole, with the amazing view of the Vesuvuis mountain and Sorrento coast, the decor is modernist an fresh, with loads of modern pictures and nice lounge music at the entrance.
The only gap was the first room they gave us, it was a bit dark , the opposite of all the common areas rich of light, but then they changed us the room with one facing on the garden, it was really peaceful, even if sometimes there was a stange man acting weird and singing in a strange way! but apart that everything was peaceful!
we had dinner once at the restaurnat and, the quality of the food was good and the choice of wines was correct just the furniture in the restaurant was a bit old compared to the decor of the hotel.
I will definately come back again in this hotel if back to sorrento coast.

Stayed: October 2006
9  Thank picciola

Reviewed 28 January 2007

I cannot believe how many bad comments i have seen on this website! Me (now 23), and my mum (couldn't possibly disclose her age though!) stayed in this hotel for a fortnight end of May 2005, and loved it so much, we came back for another fortnight end of May again 2006. I really do not know what people expect but we found it to be fantastic on both occasions. Maybe we were more polite and undertstanding than other guests, maybe we just didn't try to find every little thing to moan about?! The manager, Bruno, the head waiter, Giuseppe, the other waiters, Alessandro, Chiro, Marko, Michel, Franko Nella (waitress), bus driver Mariano, the caretaker, Rafealo. I imagine most of the people who have moaned and moaned about this hotel didn't even give the peope named above the time of day to even find out their names let alone remember them! They catered for every single persons needs, i think some people tend to forget the hours they work, so its only right for breakfast, and dinner etc to be served at certain times of the day. I would go back every year if i could. It is the most beautiful place i have ever visited in Europe. I would recommend it to anyone. The first time we wemt, we didn't have a great room, but the rest of the hotel/holida made up for it. Lets face, you're only in there to sleep! This year, we were upgraded for fee to a sea view room. We were fondly remembered from the previous year so it just goes to show that good manners and a friendly face can pay off! And may i note that the bus service is free!! And also do you complain to your own local bus service about the fact that it is run on a timetable??!! It is fantastic.

Stayed: May 2006
13  Thank lovelyv

Reviewed 10 December 2006

If you don't want to read my full review, avoid this hotel because:
1) Inconvenient to get to
2) Poor air conditioning/indifferent front desk
3) Ridiculously small showers

I've traveled to Europe many times before and I have to say, this hotel was one of the worst I've stayed in. I have three big complaints. First, the hotel is in the middle of nowhere. One of the real charming aspects of Sorrento is it's nightlife--being downtown, walking around, taking a break for a gellato or coffee. Unfortunately, we missed this experience because our schedule became dictated by making sure we caught the shuttle, which ran on a strict schedule and certainly did not allow for one to have a leisurely evening. Second, we were there in August when it was quite hot. While the hotel claims its rooms are air conditioned, they really only mean some of the time. The a/c turned off every morning promptly at 7:00 AM and the room would quickly become uncomfortably hot, to the point that we could no longer sleep. We complained to the front desk and they could not have cared less. Lastly, the shower stall was so small, I actually had to step out to wash my legs, as I could not bend over or raise my leg in the shower to do so--it was physically impossible. I'm not an abnormally large person, so I can only imagine what someone with a decent stature would have to do.

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank europeantraveler1000

Reviewed 17 November 2006

I spent a week at the Hotel Gran Paradiso in October 2006, and it made my trip to Sorrento one of the best vacations of my life. The hotel was booked for me (by Cosmos) as part of my tour, and they couldn't have picked a better place.
The hotel itself is located on a hill that offers gorgeous views of the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius (Oh Vesuvio - how I miss you!), and it's far enough from the main street that traffic noises are non-existent (I miss the music of those church bells, too!). The free hotel shuttle service was very convenient, and the hotel (including guest rooms) was IMMACULATE.
And I must tell you about the extraordinary hotel staff: Bruno and the other gentlemen of the front desk were wonderfully helpful and accomodating (thank you for the room upgrade and the extra attentions); Giuseppe, Elio & Salvatore of the dining room were so friendly and gracious that they made every meal a joy; Raffaele portered my luggage more than once (thank you for every effort); the bartenders were excellent (I'm sorry I didn't learn your names); and my cleaning ladies were very friendly and beyond compare (I hope I didn't leave too much of a mess).
My only regret is that I didn't get to meet the chef (I may have had to marry him...).
In short, I was treated like a princess. I will definitely stay at the Hotel Gran Paradiso again, as soon as I can return to Sorrento (and it breaks my heart to not have my "Torna a Sorrento" wake-up calls since I've returned home).

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank Marie-from-Mass