“We loved relaxing and abosorbing the beautiful views”

Ranked #50 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Shelton, Connecticut
“We loved relaxing and abosorbing the beautiful views”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

After spending time in Rome, Venice and Florence, Hotel Vesuviowas a wonderful respite. Although it was more expensive to reserve a room with a sea view, it was well worth it. We loved the view from our balcony and enjoyed the quietness of the pool. We loved having breakfast each morning to begin our day and used the shuttle bus to downtown Sorrento with ease. We found that the quality, cleanliness, and location of this hotel to be wonderful.

1 Thank patgriffin49

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I had a most lovely holiday at the Vesuvio and at Sorrento. This hotel is amazing with excellent service. I would send my very special regards to Nino, who really made my holiday the most wonderful by serving (again) the best food I have ever eaten anywhere. Nothing was too much trouble to him, he must be the absolutely best head waiter in the world and really an assett to hotel Vesuvio. I can't imagin this hotel without him.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Please do not listen to the bad reviews at this hotel. By far the best hotel I have ever stayed in! The location is a 20 minute walk up a hill, which may put you off but this means you are out of all the busy traffic that the other hotels in Sorrento suffer. There is a shuttle bus(coach) which runs to and from Sorrento town regularly and yes the last bus does go at 11.15pm but why is that a bad thing? Hotel pool is lovely and the hotel has the views accross the bay of Sorrento, Vesuvious volcano and you can see the bay of Naples and the views accross the water.
Breakfast is continental and yes there is only a hot choice of eggs but then again it states it when you book it so why should you expect more. Lunch is by the pool. Big menu of Pizza, Pasta, Fish, Sandwiches, Salad and more. Plenty of Icecreams and cold drinks too. Main Dinner is a 3 course menu with lots to choose from if you like italian, meat, fish or veg. You get soft drinks, wine and beer complimentary with your meal. Some nights may be buffet but they are served to you instead of self service.
All the staff are really friendly in the hotel, unlike some hotels I have been to where the waiting staff look miserable. They are all friendly. I dont know about Nino though, as nice as he is I wouldnt like to work with him. Guiseppe who is the manager is nice and will do whatever he can for you. Nino is his helper. Small man syndrome I think...
Our room was big and clean and we paid extra for a seaview room with a balcony. An extra 30 euros a night for the room but it was well worth it! Big wardrobes, big bathroom, air conditioning that worked and SKY tv. As well as a minibar which compared to some hotels wasnt that expensive and was good as we could store all our drinks and sweets in there.
And the terrace bar is very relaxing. Overlooks the bay of Sorrento and the waiting staff are efficiant and willing to help with anything, Especially Franco who helped us find some lovely restaurats in Sorrento town. And yes I agree that there is a man who sits playing a keyboard which is rubbish but its not so bad that I would let it ruin my holiday. It seemed like recorded stuff so he wasnt out of tune or anything.
The hotel drinks werent that expensive. Measures are larger than in UK and prices were roughly the same as what I would pay at home. The Euro is rubbish so anyone going somewhere in europe on holiday should know to expect prices. Eating out wasnt expensive either as me and my partner paid 70 euros for 2 alcoholic drinks each and 2 starters and mains. And the portions were big aswell.
And please please ignore the comments about the hotel being outdated or old fashioned, I have seen those comments and dont know if they actually went to the hotel?!! Its classy and comfortable. Nothing wrong with the decor at all.
The holiday overall was amazing and I would definatly go back to this hotel. I could not fault one thing here. If I was to go Sorrento again then I would stay at this hotel 100%.

Enjoy your holiday!!!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a balcony or seaview room. well worth it! All the rooms are big sizes as well.
5 Thank KatRackham
St.Catharines, Ontario
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Stayed at the Vesuvio for two days as part of a nine day Allegria tour of Italy. We stayed in Rome for two days, then travelled to Naples, Pompei and Sorrento. While in Sorrento we had a tour of the Isle of Capri and Anacapri. .

The room we were assigned at the Vesuvio was large, well furnished with plenty of closet space and a well appointed bathroom. The room (436) was above the terrace with a great view of the Bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius in the distance.

We only had two nights at this hotel, but were treated exceptionally well by the staff at breakfast and dinner and the front desk staff. We were very impressed with the hotel grounds and pool area with such beautiful landscaping throughout the property. It was very difficult to pack our bags and leave, but we still had two days on the Amalfi Coast to look forward to.....we definitely would love to return to Sorrento and this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ckin2u
cheshire england
Reviewed 18 July 2011

only get egg as a hot breakfast main meal average expected better evening entertainment pathetic man on keyboard playing to himself drinks too dear 2 small glasses beer 8 euros hence no one on terrace. courtesy bus full going into town where drinks were a little cheaper last bus back 11:15 pm make sure get on it taxi fare 25 euros which would cost 5 pound at home. no bus in afternoon to eat at pool bar small beef sandwich served with few crisps 10 euros. hotel is clean but will not go back Sorrento dont deserve tourists as they are ripping them off big style.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Before I begin I would like to say I agree with a lot of what has been written previously about the hotel. Nino did everything in his power to accomodate us and the views were magnificent on clear days.

Overall however my husband and I found the stay at this hotel disappointing.

The hotel has a wireless internet connection, however the only place that there is a reasonable signal strenth is the hotel lobbly which is not very helpful if you are trying to get work done or skype with family.

Also it seemed like many of the staff were on some sort of work experience program. Nino did his best to make sure service was maintained at an acceptable level, but there is only so much one person can do.

One of the low lights of our stay was the conference dinner where we let the waitstaff know what our dietary needs were in advance and then confirmed with them at the start of the meal. We were reassured that everything was fine and it had been taken care of. The entree came out and we were uanble to eat it. Nino came across and confirmed what we needed and went off to the kitchen to see what could be done. In the end, of the four possible courses from the dinner we ended up receiving two and the wait staff who were deliverying the dishes were rude when we politely refused explaining that we were unable to eat the meal in front of us.

The town of Sorrento is lovely but I would recommend staying somewhere more modern and closer to the town itself.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 July 2011

The shuttle bus to Sorrento finishes at 11.15 - we took our lives in our hands several evenings for the long walk back up the very steep hill. The pool is fantastic but closes at 6.00pm so you don't get to use it after a long hot day of sightseeing. We were given two single beds pushed together instead of a double and it took 5 requests before they did anything about it! The beds have a nasty plastic type material as the bed clothes. The furnishings are very dated and of cheap quality (plastic chairs and cracked plastic lampshades) and the size of the hotel makes it very impersonable. Breakfast was awful

4 Thank ali0008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sorrento
Grand Hotel Aminta
Best Western Hotel La Solara
Conca Park Hotel
Conca Park Hotel
#38 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Grand Hotel Vesuvio? Share your experiences!