“Restaurant and food service”

Ranked #48 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Restaurant and food service”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We have been to this hotel 7 times over the last 18 years - we love the views, the spacious lounges and the service. I can only compliment the Bar, Housekeeping and Reception as their standards have remained very high. But OH DEAR - this year I cannot say the same for the Restaurant. It must be 4 years since we have stayed but the standards in the Restaurant have dropped dramatically (could it be the loss of the Restaurant Manager???). The Waitresses looked "scruffy" in their ill fitting waistcoats, shirts hanging out beneath and BLACK JEANS. I even saw one in sparkly trainers and chewing gum. Where has the staff training gone ?- talking and sharing jokes with each other, no warm welcome for the guests and they "whip" your plate away when you have barely finished eating (and other guests on the same table are STILL EATING)

The food is not to bad (but not 4 star) (it has't moved with the times) and Breakfast needs an update - FRESH FRUIT and more cooked selection. 3 star hotel in Greece last year had 3 times as much choice.

All inclusive is not a good option (we had no choice when booking) As there is so much to see in the area - guests are out most days so do not need an inclusive lunch and the lovely pool restaurant has gone !!!

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms are good and worth the supplement for a sea view accross the bay of Naples
1 Thank dancer311047

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Maidenhead, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stayed in the Grand Hotel Vesuvio at the end of August for our honeymoon, travelling with Citalia (all inclusive).

The staff were aware that it was our honeymoon, but it wasn't acknowledged. The hotel however was large and very clean, with stunning views over the bay of Naples, with a view of Mount Vesuvius.

The room was clean (although the bed was a bit hard!) and we had no problems. The food was wonderful in the hotel, with plenty of choice. The waiter service was efficient and quick. You were given wine by the bottle if you ordered this with your meal, but we could take it to the bar area afterwards. There is a balcony with fantastic views by the bar, but get there quickly after dinner to get a seat! Otherwise, there is plenty of seating indoors.

The pool was clean with plenty of sunbeds, and the poolside bar was lovely. Homemade icecream is available all day which is a refreshing treat.

There is a regular shuttle bus into the town, which is good if you don't like walking up and down hills! It is less frequent in the middle of the afternoon and we did walk a couple of times, which wasn't bad. It takes a good 20 minutes though.

We didn't have any problems with this hotel. I read some reviews saying the staff were a bit unfriendly - a couple were less 'chatty' than others but everyone is very polite.

The location of the hotel is great as you are away from the busy town, but not too far away. I wouldn't go with small children though, as there isn't any entertainment for them and many of the site-seeing places to visit (Pompeii, Capri etc) involve walking around in the heat, some places up steep hills.

I didn't notice a child's menu either, so I don't know if those with children were given one. I was also told by a family there that there were a limited number of high chairs.

We would recommend this hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I have to say I am shocked by the reviews others have left about this hotel. I am quite worried about the descriptions given and feel that people should know what this hotel is really like. At first I thought I must have typed in the wrong name but then after looking at the address I realised it is the same horrific hotel I stayed in with my friend this summer. I honestly do not see how this hotel has been awarded 4 stars! On arrival we were shown to a room with a double bed, which we had not requested. Then we were offered a room on the roof which looked like the maid quarters. The third room had a broken safe and telephone which had to be replaced. We then eventually were given a fourth room but even that was very dated and did not look like any of the pictures that we had seen on line.
The only thing that it had going for it, is the swimming pool and stunning views of Sorrento, other than that I think it would be lucky to be awarded a 2 star, the service is horrendous and the breakfast is very basic.

Honestly I have nothing to gain by writing this review but I wish I had read an honest review as I would definitely not have booked this hotel. Infact it was so bad that I checked into a different hotel in Naples.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank AndreaNicolaou
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We stayed here for 11 nights as part of a first choice all inclusive package.

Our coach from the airport was delayed because of fires on the coastal road so by the time we arrived at the hotel to check in it was midnight and we were tired and hungry. The staff were polite and directed us to our room where we found they had left us a cold plate with meat, cheese and salad. They also gave me gluten free rolls as I had specified I was Coeliac before our visit. My boyfriend and I were so grateful for the thought.

We upgraded to a sea view room before we arrived and were so pleased we did. The room was large and although the balcony was small the view was incredible! We could clearly see Vesuvious as well as the other side of the mainland and little lemon groves and houses. As part of our all inclusive package the soft drinks in the mini bar were included and replaced every day which was an extra we hadn't expected. The room was very clean-the cleaners do a wonderful job and are so friendly- and mostly decorated well although there were a couple of things I would update (hair dryer in the bathroom and shower, beds a bit hard!) but these were minor things and overall we were pleased with our room.

A lot of reviews we read complained about the all inclusive but we found it excellent. I think as its been said before by other people, if you want all inclusive which allows you to drink from 9am into the early hours and to pile your plate high at any time of day it probably isn't for you. If like us, you want to take away the financial worry of paying for meals while on holiday and are more interested in the quality of the food and service at mealtimes it's perfect. The food was all fresh and the portions were great-not huge but not small either, we never felt hungry. I loved that there was waiter service for drinks at lunch and a la carte menu and waiter service 5 nights a week. There were always about 3 or 4 options for starters and main courses as well as 3 desserts. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to eat a lot of the food because I am coeliac but most of the main courses were meat or fish and the staff were so accommodating and found alternatives for me if there were things I couldn't eat. The staff were so friendly and helpful- not at all rude like some reviews mentioned before we went. It was like going out to a restaurant every night rather than just somewhere to eat.

Pool area is lovely. Unlike other hotels I've been too I didn't feel the need to rush through breakfast so that I could rush to the pool to try to find two beds together- they were plenty and the pool bar was also nice to sit in and read in if we had ever had a problem finding beds together. As well as meals at set times you could have homemade ice cream ( which were yummy) and my boyfriend tried the toasted sandwiches and said they were really good too.

Sorrento is very pretty and we used the shutt,e bus a number of times. Good service but they need to make it much more regular in busy times as sometimes there is a 2 to 3 hour gap between them.

Bar looks out over the sea and Vesuvius and was really nice to sit there before/ after dinner. In the evening there is a keyboard player who sometimes sang. This was the only entertainment, which suited us but my boyfriend and I wondered what it would be like for people with children as the hotel is up on the hill and you need to use the shuttle bus or tours to visit places. range of included drinks was really good and staff happy to show us the list of what was included.

We are a young couple but I have since recommended te hotel to my father and his wife and they are thinking of going too. It is such a beautiful area with so much to see and do so the staff and hotel were the icing on the cake for a fantastic relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Everyone says it but definitely upgrade. It may seem a lot but when you are so close to the coast it...
6 Thank Charl0tteW87
Worcester
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Stayed here about 18 years ago, being desperate for sun took a late booking through First Choice on all inclusive basis. Have to admit was a bit wary when I read the reviews but having now been to the hotel cannot understand peoples complaints!
Having had a four hour transfer due to road closure because of fire, thought we would be lucky to get something to eat. Wrong, we were ushered into the restaurant and presented with a menu! Thought meal would be dry/cold how wrong could I be freshly cooked food served speedily and efficiently!
Having stayed here before we didn't book a sea view room as we realised that we spend so little time in it! No complains with our rear room, kept spotless during the stay bedding and towels changed daily. AC brilliant and was very much welcome!
No complaints with variety or quality of food during the entire stay. FRESH FRUIT was available at all meals even at breakfast, along with tinned fruit!
Lunch was wonderful the choice of fish amazing and all beautifully cooked. Found nothing to complain about re choice of salads, pefectly normal for Italy!
Dinner superbly cooked and well presented food.
Staff in restaurant a delight and thanks to Eduardo and Guido for there lovely service and attentiveness.
Piano bar and terrace was a lovely spot to spend an evening talking to new found friends. Personally I found the entertainment adequare but then I don't do loud music/discos! Michael and his team do a grand job!
Pool area and bar very clean, again staff helpful. Icecream wonderful. Plenty of loungers and if you want shade quiet plenty of seating/loungers in gardens.
All inclusive for us at this hotel was excellent, who wants alchohol before 1pm I certainly don't not in the temperature we experienced.
Would have preferred to have had wine by the glass with my meals but struggled to keep the Italian wine trade in busines with a bottle a day!
Shuttle bus OK but disappointingly a) doesn't go to the railway station (15-20 minute walk) and b) no longer stops where the other shuttle buses stop, but at a car park across a very busy main road and up a relatively steep hill, not good for anyone with breathing difficulties and not clear in the brochure!
My one gripe, is not with First Choice, hotel, or even the babies/toddlers who were on the whole well behaved but the adults in the extended families with the latter who seemed to spend the whole time out shouting each other, especially when they were in the pool!!! I really didn't want to know whether or not Joshua needed his nappy changed! Don't blame the kiddies, look at the parents/grand parents!!
It is a walkable distance to Sorrento, but the road is very busy, isn't it about time that this road had a pavement!!! This has NOT improved since our last stay!
Would I go again, can't wait, disappointed that First Choice not going next year, hopefully someone else will!

Room Tip: Higher floors are best if you don't want to up grade!
3 Thank BarAnnC
manchester
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Just returned from this first class hotel with the best views in the world. We had a wonderful time and can not understand some of the petty gripes some of the visitors seem to have.
1) The Restaurant: Guiseppe, Pedro and Luigi run a tight ship and couldnt do more for the guests. Not everything is on view but ask and thou shalt receive. A wonderful continental breakfast in the morning including hams, cheeses, jams etc. The best freshest rolls, some with sesame seeds which have to be tasted to be believed. There is scrambled eggs laid out but you can order on demand eggs as required on toast eg "Poached , fried or boiled".
Lunch is a buffet and then a 3 course a la carte dinner. There is normally 4 choices of starter or main course but once again if there is nothing to your taste, ask and the next night Guiseppe will arrange something to tickle your taste buds. The pastry chef at Vesuvio is of the highest standard and produces 5 star food and some. ALL the food here is of a very high standard. Twice a week there is a buffet one of which is also a barbecue including whole salmon, sides of beef, turkey, veal. If on all inclusive ask for wine and a bottle of good house wine will appear.
The waiting staff are very friendly and very good at their job.

The Bar: Beautiful view across the bay of naples and drinks brought to your table. Micelle and his staff work very hard. The drinks are often premium spirits depending on what you are ordering and the measures generous. Entertainment is minimal and perhaps leaves a little to be desired. Not to our taste. There is also a pool bar during the day with free home made ice cream and drinks. If on all inclusive alcohol only avail from 1300 till 2300 but you can pay outside these times.

The Room: PAY FOR A SEA VIEW. Its worth its weight in gold. What a beautiful view of Vesuvious and the Bay of Naples. We had room 354 which is one of the best looking out over the pool and then the bay beyond. Some of the others could be noisier in the evening as overlook the road and bar but do have a sea view. The room was very comfortable, huge bed, and a mini bar stocked with soft drinks every day. Kept spotless by our maid who was always very friendly. This is definitely a 4 star hotel despite some reviews. UK hotels could learn a lot from the Vesuvio.

Reception staff are very helpful and go the extra mile.

Top Tips: When using the sky tv, select INFO on the channel you are watching and usually will give you the option to revert to english from the dubbed italian.
Best coffee bar in town is by the railway station. All the locals use it and very good coffee.
Best view and bar is "Foreigners" in Sorrento on road to the port. Has to be seen to be believed.
Top Excursion is the 4 x 4 up Vesuvious with views across the crater and then lunch at a local vineyard after. Excellent!!

Overall very impressive and a shame that First Choice dont appear to have in their brochure next year. Their loss i think.

Room Tip: 2nd and 3rd floor sea view with balcony overlooking the pool are the best
3 Thank graham999Manchester
Angus, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2012

The hotel itself is lovely, nice rooms, lovely pool and very clean. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis. The breakfast was typical continental style with scrambled egg thrown in as a hot option. I only found out 2 days before leaving that you could also order boiled egg and toast if you wanted. There were no tea, coffee making facilities in the room so if you wanted anything you had to go to the pool bar or opt for room service at an extra £3 per person. The tv in the room has only news channels in english unless you pay but i still could not find any.
There were no information leaflets to advise on places to go or see, although they do have some under the reception desk but you have to ask. The hotel is about a 25 min walk into Sorrento but it is down a very dangerous road with no pavement. The hotel runs a shuttle bus but it is a free for all to get on with people shoving and pushing whether you are there first or not.We missed the bus home a couple of nights because of this and was 15 euros for a taxi so be prepared to forget your manners and push in like everyone else.
We decided to take a mini cruise we saw advertised which looked wonderful. It was called Marina Club Blu mini cruise, dont do it. The boat is about half the size it looks in the advert and was very overloaded. We did not realise it was Italian holidays so everyone and there children were there. The adults reserved seats for the children with bags etc although they were never used which left many people standing. We were lucky if you could call it that to get 3 plastic chairs to sit on then were climbed over and jostled untill we and many others had enough and got off the boat at Positano and got the local bus back to Sorrento.
Despite all the bad bits we did enjoy the holiday . The restaurants in Sorrento are wonderful and the scenery gorgeous. I would advise anyone to find out about the local transport as it seems to be the best way to see the area and is very cheap and reliable.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sorrento
Conca Park Hotel
Grand Hotel Capodimonte
Grand Hotel Capodimonte
#29 of 100 in Sorrento
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,240 reviews

Been to Grand Hotel Vesuvio? Share your experiences!