“A Nice Holiday”

Ranked #48 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“A Nice Holiday”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Have just returned from a very nice break in Italy, staying at the above Hotel, the view's were wonderfull right across the bay of Naples, staff very helpfull, the only down side to staying there, was that we were rather cut of from the centre of Sorrento, road outside Hotel not good for walking down. Food quite good, but at breadfast it would have been nice to have more choice.
Good Value for money. But won't be going back.

1 Thank christine H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Lovely hotel. Went there for 8 days in September 2012. Plenty big, clean, nicely decorated, fairly 'old' residents (mostly english) meant little noise from kids, though there was a bit of piano noise / Vera Lynn / Frank Sinatra in the bar area of an evening.

Breakfast was pretty much the same every morning which got a bit boring after 8 days, even though the quality and selection were good.

It's quite a way out of Sorrento but the shuttle service was very good.

I agree with some of the reviews saying that the hotel was a bit clinical / retirement home but what's the problem with that? All the other guests were very polite, quiet and well-behaved. I'm 39 by the way!

Book it - you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-facing room. Go up to the sun terrace on the 5th floor - ace views and deserted.
Hampshire
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Not sure why I am writing this review especially as I see that First Choice are pulling from this place, which I can understand. The Vesuvio is a nice hotel, very big, yes upgrading to a sea view room is good, beautiful views! What lets this place down big time is their interpretation of 'all inclusive', there are too many do's and don'ts on this board basis..... given a list of drinks you can only have as all inclusive, cannot eat outside on the terrace with the beautiful views unless you pay. People have mentioned staff names, but I never heard any of the staff calling each other or certainly not introducing themselves to us by name, not friendly at all, until our last night when they obviously expecting tipping! Bar staff were only interested in serving you if you were a 'paying guest with cash' we were all inclusive, we still paid, up in advance! Our room was big, clean and the room maids did a brilliant job. Food was good, but not enough choice, we have stayed all inclusive previously in Sorrento which that experience was wonderful compared to this, a choice of 2 puddings! And when asked if I could have a little of each - got totally ignored! There is no toaster for breakfast, never was told about the egg option travelling home! Please take a hairdryer, as the ones in the bathroom are rubbish took me an age to dry my hair!

Although we had quite a few gripes there are so many things this hotel could improve on, being friendly, candles on the tables outside or even lighting, proper hand towels instead of cut up sheets, its all the finishing touches! We did have a wonderful time here and as I said the food was good, but just not enough choice for the 4 star hotel it claims to be. It was pretty obvious the staff were coming to the end of the season with their lack of interest in the guests!

I would go to Sorrento for a 3rd time, however, not certain if I would stay here again - can see why unfortunately that First Choice are pulling away from this hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade to sea view
1 Thank DEEKHampshire
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

The room was clean with a fantastic view but that is as good as it got unfortunately.

The food was truly awful. We had breakfast and lunch there. Heaven help you if you're on an all inclusive package...which they offer. This could be the reason for the bad food as they cook everything in huge amounts - just like school dinners. Even the crisps I had with a club sandwich were stale. The chips were just fat and oil with no traces of potato.

The hotel is popular with the over 60s so kind of feels like a retirement home more than a hotel. Saga must have shares in this place! As a young couple (29 years old), it wasn't our cup of tea.

We cut short our stay here and moved to a different hotel in town.

2 Thank DaveLondon20
Heathfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I departed from this hotel this morning after one week. I did not stay "all inclusive" but from reading previous reviews it seems that those guests have a better experience than traditional visitors:
* one point I completely agree with is the cleanliness of the rooms and the cleaning staff - both excellent
* I stayed as part of a tour group with my wife, on a half board basis. We both happen to be vegetarian, we found the restaurant staff surly and disinterested. The menu was not a la carte, but table d'hote. Vegetarian options were supposedly indicated by an asterisk, but reading across the four language versions was the source of confusion. Courses which were vegetarian in one language were not necessarily the same in another! Last night's menu had asparagus soup (in English, with an asterisk) yet the German equivalent was "mit Schinken" (ham) without an asterisk!
* dinner on Thursdays and Sundays comprises a buffet, enthusiastically received by some earlier reviewers. Vegatarian options consisted of melon, dehydrated salad and one "hot" choice of macaroni cheese
* on trying to get a drink at the bar at lunchtime on Monday, I was told I couldn't have one until 1pm, but when the money in my hand was noticed I was told "you're not all inclusive? OK you can have drinks"
* on checking out this morning, the man at reception did not utter one word. He just printed out my account and handed the credit card machine to me. No customer service NVQ obviouslly!

This is a grim place, too far for most people to walk to Sorrento and apart from the cleaners has staff who couldn't care less and/or are not interested. Not recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms without a sea view overlook a scruffy back yard and lemon grove
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Robin Y
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We have been to this hotel 7 times over the last 18 years - we love the views, the spacious lounges and the service. I can only compliment the Bar, Housekeeping and Reception as their standards have remained very high. But OH DEAR - this year I cannot say the same for the Restaurant. It must be 4 years since we have stayed but the standards in the Restaurant have dropped dramatically (could it be the loss of the Restaurant Manager???). The Waitresses looked "scruffy" in their ill fitting waistcoats, shirts hanging out beneath and BLACK JEANS. I even saw one in sparkly trainers and chewing gum. Where has the staff training gone ?- talking and sharing jokes with each other, no warm welcome for the guests and they "whip" your plate away when you have barely finished eating (and other guests on the same table are STILL EATING)

The food is not to bad (but not 4 star) (it has't moved with the times) and Breakfast needs an update - FRESH FRUIT and more cooked selection. 3 star hotel in Greece last year had 3 times as much choice.

All inclusive is not a good option (we had no choice when booking) As there is so much to see in the area - guests are out most days so do not need an inclusive lunch and the lovely pool restaurant has gone !!!

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms are good and worth the supplement for a sea view accross the bay of Naples
1 Thank dancer311047
Maidenhead, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stayed in the Grand Hotel Vesuvio at the end of August for our honeymoon, travelling with Citalia (all inclusive).

The staff were aware that it was our honeymoon, but it wasn't acknowledged. The hotel however was large and very clean, with stunning views over the bay of Naples, with a view of Mount Vesuvius.

The room was clean (although the bed was a bit hard!) and we had no problems. The food was wonderful in the hotel, with plenty of choice. The waiter service was efficient and quick. You were given wine by the bottle if you ordered this with your meal, but we could take it to the bar area afterwards. There is a balcony with fantastic views by the bar, but get there quickly after dinner to get a seat! Otherwise, there is plenty of seating indoors.

The pool was clean with plenty of sunbeds, and the poolside bar was lovely. Homemade icecream is available all day which is a refreshing treat.

There is a regular shuttle bus into the town, which is good if you don't like walking up and down hills! It is less frequent in the middle of the afternoon and we did walk a couple of times, which wasn't bad. It takes a good 20 minutes though.

We didn't have any problems with this hotel. I read some reviews saying the staff were a bit unfriendly - a couple were less 'chatty' than others but everyone is very polite.

The location of the hotel is great as you are away from the busy town, but not too far away. I wouldn't go with small children though, as there isn't any entertainment for them and many of the site-seeing places to visit (Pompeii, Capri etc) involve walking around in the heat, some places up steep hills.

I didn't notice a child's menu either, so I don't know if those with children were given one. I was also told by a family there that there were a limited number of high chairs.

We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sorrento
Grand Hotel Aminta
Best Western Hotel La Solara
Grand Hotel President
Grand Hotel President
#17 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Grand Hotel Vesuvio? Share your experiences!