“Great Views”

Ranked #48 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Wellington Point, Australia
“Great Views”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We had the suite and would have to say a bit of wasted space as the lounge part is quite dark and looked like an afterthought. The room, colour wise and furniture wise is very out dated, but we had great views, right in front, very pretty when the cruise ships are in port. The breakfast is average, but we never had dinner here. The hotel is very large, and lots of open space, a nice and clean swimming pool. The shuttle is OK, although we were stranded a few times not knowing what to do. The taxis are not cheap, we were charged about €25 to €30 euro for that little trip because the bus stops at lunch time, but doesn't start back up until about 3 or 4pm, something quite ridiculous. We would not stay here again because of the inconvenience and I did feel the cost of the room did not reflect the room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Debbie I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
wisconsin
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We were with a Gate 1 tour, and the hotel was excellent. The breakfast buffet was bountiful, the dinner was excellent. Room was modern and very comfortable. Had a little trouble with the TV but the staff cordially attended to it.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the Bay of Napoli
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank normWisconsin
toronto
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here in late October and my experience was a little different than that of most of the other TripAdvisor reviewers because I was with a tour group called Naomi Tours.
Though the members of our tour group did use the shuttle to go shopping in Sorrento, I did not use it because I preferred to walk. I walked for miles in both directions--up the hill and down and yes, it was sometimes quite frightening with there being no sidewalks, almost no shoulders on the road and hairpin turns. But, I got to see the olive nets being put up to gather the olives at harvest-time and there were beautiful views of the water.
We had our own private buses pick us up to take us on tours and our own chefs in a private dining room (our meals were superb) so I cannot comment about the food.
The rooms we got were all facing the Bay of Naples and the views were magnificent.
The rooms themselves were large and had small refrigerators, a pants press and tiled floors. The mattress, bedding and pillows were not the standard I am used to (I favor Hilton properties and even Hampton Inns have much more comfortable beds.)
The bathroom had a nice bathtub, a bidet and room on the vanity to store toiletries.
The cleaning help did not once replace the shampoos and other items provided by the hotel upon initial arrival, though, and I was there for six days. They also did not replace the facial tissues, though there was adequate toilet paper.
The grounds of this hotel are lovely and the interior of the hotel is clean and very attractive.
The pool looked quite inviting but it was really too cold for me to swim in it in late October, even though I am from Toronto and the weather was sunny and pleasant.
There was a balcony with exercise equipment near the pool.
One thing that irked me tremendously was the lack of wifi connectivity for my computer.
There were two computers for guests to use near the front desk, but I had almost no connection to internet in my room.
Though not being tethered to a computer was relaxing to a certain extent, my computer was the main way my friends, relatives and workmates could get in touch with me in a foreign country and not having access to it was worrying. I lugged my computer all over the hotel because I was told some areas had better reception, but I did not find really reliable reception anywhere.
So, on the whole the hotel was a beautiful place to stay. the view from the room through the sliding door to my balcony was exquisite in the early morning and at sunset, the room was large and the fridge was a nice touch, but the bed was not particularly plush and the cleaning help could use some tips about replacing toiletries on a regular basis, the way other hotels do.
The hotel should seriously investigate providing wifi connectivity since they do advertise that they have it.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the ones that face the Bay of Naples. The views are fabulous from the balconies...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ShifraToronto
New Jersey
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times with groups, The hotel is big, with front facing rooms with views over the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius, and back facing rooms with views of lemon groves. Groups of kids stay in the back. Really good buffet breakfasts and dinners. There is a pool, but they usually close it by 6 pm. Staff all very friendly and helpful. You can walk into town, but on a windy road with no shoulder or sidewalk. There is a shuttle, but I never used it. The hotel is large and rambling, but all in all, a good choice if you're looking for views.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank fabiolina
Anaheim, CA
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed 3 nights in September, 2013, with a tour group and really enjoyed this fine hotel. Our room was spacious and overlooked the very large pool, the Bay of Naples with Naples and Mount Vesuvius in the distance. The buffet meals were complete and very tasty and we also had a wonderful lunch one day on the terrace above the pool. The hotel is located in the hills outside of Sorrento, but the free shuttle to town is convenient and frequent except for the typical 3 hour gap in the early afternoon.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors overlooking the pool have incredible views.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Prcipce
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel has some really great views. Too bad I did not get one from my room. The room numbering is a little crazy and the beds were a little hard, but not a bad stay. You would not want to walk this area a night. Not because it is unsafe, but there are no sidewalks. My wife and I tried to walk down the hill to go to dinner, after about 25 yards we turned around and went back to the hotel. I guess it would be ok to go out and explore in the daytime, but we did not get a chance. Breakfast left something to be desired.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ALPHARETTA
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We were on a tour and stayed 3 nights at the Grand Vesuvio in Sorrento. Our room had an incredible view of Mt Vesuvius. Our meals at the hotel were buffet and very good. Room clean and big compared to others we stayed at in Italy. Bed very hard (as they all are) but clean and I slept great. Pool looked wonderful but it was too cold to swim in. We met on front terrace many times with friends and loved that area too. WiFi was only available in lobby although some of our travelers said they could get it in their room. I loved Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. Make sure you get to Amalfi on your trip too.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sorrento
Conca Park Hotel
Grand Hotel Capodimonte
Grand Hotel Capodimonte
#29 of 100 in Sorrento
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,233 reviews

Been to Grand Hotel Vesuvio? Share your experiences!