“Excellent Place to Stay”

Ranked #48 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Place to Stay”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a really great hotel... rooms for the most part overlook the cliffs and ocean - absolutely gorgeous views... I thought the hotel was pretty high up until we hired a van to get to the Amalfi Coast... we could go much higher I found out... ;-) The hotel is not next to the water and not really within walking distance of the town or waterfront, but there are plenty of ways to get where you want to go, so shouldn't be a show stopper unless you want to be right in town... also the roads are so tight I would recommend walking many places except in the town itself which is like many European towns very walkable in the shopping districts.

Anyway the food was pretty good - we had a party of 9 and breakfast and dinner was included... the service great... kudos to Salvatore and Luigi who made both the breakfast and dinner experience a pleasure!!

The rooms were very nicely appointed and regular beds were appreciated after the extra firm (hard) twins pushed together we had in Rome... the pool area was very nice, not crowded at all, so very usable... but the dining and bar areas were a highlight... we sat at the bar and out on the patio with bar service overlooking the cliffs - I had one of the best dirty martini's I've ever had... I thought the bar staff was excellent as well...

The only thing that I thought detracted from the hotel at all was the atmosphere... almost seemed like it was just opening and had not been fully decorated... hard to describe... not a real negative, just thought it was a little unusual that the lobby was not more appointed - pictures and accents... really nothing to worry - the service and facility was excellent!!

I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel have a direct view of the cliffs and sea... we were on a side v...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dgreene99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2014

What a great place to stay. The views were fantastic and the rooms large and comfortable. We had an enjoyable experience with fine dining and the wine was not over the top with its pricing. A great location to visit the isle of Capri..

Should of stayed another night.

Room Tip: room 455 was great
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed here as a part of my tour. I think this is the main hotel for all tour companies. Lovely location plus they did have a shuttle to tow. That was free. No view from room and terrible food. Pool area is nice as is the terrace.

1 Thank Lisa B
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed in this hotel as part of tour. The room I received when checked I was overlooking some lemon trees with two single beds. No view! I am paying $500 per night for 3 nights, when I complained I was told I should be thankful as I was travelling solo and I got a room with two single beds instead of one! When I tried to explain this I'd not what I paid for he just walked away and ignored me until I left reception. Following morning I was in bed at 8am when housekeeping knocked once and just walked in! So I put the do not disturb sign on door and still an hour later it happened again. Power went out twice, no hot water in some rooms, food is very ordinary and service is non existent. Order a bottle of wine and t was dumped I the table and I had to pour every glass myself. Not even 3 star. Average age of occupants is 70, so maybe views are enough for them. If you do not get a guaranteed ocean view you may as we'll stay at a more convient location closet to town.

Room Tip: Must get view or choose another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank taf14
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We went here recently for a 1 week holiday, and it is a great, well run hotel, they had underground parking free of charge which was a bonus as they also had a free bus service running in and out of the town itself ! Perfect for Early Birds and late nights. Whilst there they also provide organised trips to Pompeii or Mt Vesuvius, Both of these we did and they were both great fun and interesting attractions. (Though the climb up Vesuvius was a bit of a challenge).
The hotel itself has a great outside seating area that goes with the bar so you can sit out and see the amazing views!! And the hotel provided different foods each night all of which was delicious.
The room itself was very nice and accommodating and the whole general service of the hotel was well organised and well provided.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed two nights here during a 6 day motorcycle trip through southern Italy. As parking can be hard in the Amalfi Coast, being a little outside of town ensured safe parking for the motorcycle. They had underground parking, free of charge. The pool is magnificent with a gorgeous room over Mt. Vesuvio. The room had a large balcony, with the same wonderful view. While the beds were not the most comfortable, being a little outside of town gave us quiet we would not have gotten in town. The complimentary shuttle allows you to go to town easily though.

Old Bridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We loved this hotel. It is decorated in a bright and sunny color scheme and is extremely comfortable. It is located a few miles outside the center of town and highly recommend using the shuttle service. Walking is possible, but can be dangerous.
Our room was fairly large with a balcony and a view of Mt. Vesuio. (We overlooked the street and the occasional bus noises did not really disturb us.) King size bed was very comfortable. Shower had good pressure and temperature control. In room refrigerator was convenient and allowed us to keep cold water stocked.
Common areas were pretty. There is a garden with some sculpture near the pool and a small outdoor work out area. Pool is large with a bar and a gorgeous view of Vesuvio.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sorrento
Conca Park Hotel
Grand Hotel Capodimonte
Grand Hotel Capodimonte
#29 of 100 in Sorrento
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,241 reviews

Been to Grand Hotel Vesuvio? Share your experiences!