“a wonderful place to stay”

Ranked #50 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Cornwall, United Kingdom
“a wonderful place to stay”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed here for a week at the end of May and really couldn't fault this hotel. Our room looked out over the bay of Naples with a wonderful view of mount Vesuvius. Perfect! We took the all inclusive option and the choice and quality of food and drink were excellent. The only negative was that the all inclusive deal finished at eleven o clock rather than the usual midnight but as we were up and about quite early sightseeing this probably did us a favour! A few reviews have said that the hotel was too far out of town and you have to rely on the shuttle bus but we didn't find this at all. The first shuttle was at nine in the morning but as we were out earlier than this we walked into town every day. It took about twenty minutes to the edge of town and the same again to the train station. Coming back was no problem either. It is uphill of course but it isn't at all steep and if you are fairly fit it's no problem at all. There is a small section of road without a pavement,about 400 yards, but if you walk in single file and are vigilant it's not dangerous. Almost opposite the hotel there is a track which cuts off the first hair pin bend.
We went somewhere different every day, all under our own steam. It's so easy. We took a train to Pompeii and Herculaneum and would recommend both. The sites are near to the train station. At Pompeii turn left outside the train station and walk about 100 yards. The site is on your left. Don't be tempted to buy audio guides at the station. They are cheaper inside at 6 Euros for one and 10 Euros for two. They are informative and well worth the money if you are there for the day, which you will need to be if you want to see everything. You will need ID such as a passport if you want to hire these.
To get to Herculaneum get out at Herculaneum scavi and walk straight on down the hill for about 400 yards. Smaller than Pompeii but no less interesting for that. It costs 11 Euros to get into both but you can buy a combined ticket for 20 Euros which includes three other sites as well but you have to use it on three consecutive days.
We also walked up Vesuvius which wasn't as taxing as it sounds as you can get a tour bus almost all of the way up. Pick this up directly opposite Pompeii station. We did try to find a public bus that went up but didn't have any luck there. The tour bus was 22 Euros which included the entrance fee to the volcano.
The trip across to Capri was easily done. Pick up ferry at the port in Sorrento.we caught one at 9.30 and came back at 3.30 which was just about the right amount of time. We did a boat trip round the island which gives you some fabulous views of the cliffs and grottos.
If you want to go to Positano or Amalfi, jump on a bus opposite the station and buy a 24 hour ticket. Then you can jump on and off as you please.
If you are on all inclusive at the hotel then you can request a packed lunch in the restaurant the evening before and pick it up at breakfast. These are delicious. If you are staying by the pool during the day but don't fancy two three course meals a day then you can get a freshly made sandwich at the pool bar instead. two little things worth mentioning. I would take my own hairdryer next time. The one in the bathroom is not very effective. Also the hand towels are made of cotton rather than towelling and so not very absorbent. However, these are minor gripes. I would recommend a holiday here without hesitation. Go and enjoy!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank fergiem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Newtownards, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I have just returned from our annual June trip to the Grand Hotel Vesuvio, and once again we had a fantastic time there.
I began a love afair with this hotel and Sorrento about 22 years ago. People often ask me why I go back each year and don't go somewhere else. Why would I when I know exactly the type of comfort and quality that I will get at this hotel. For me it would be a tall order to surpass it - I'm not saying it is the best hotel in the world but for me and my family we simply love it and will continue going each year for as long as possible.
The first and most important thing I think is the warm welcome from the staff in the hotel,from the reception ( Patrizia, Lu Lu, Carlo, Tonino F, Tonino D & Fabio), who organised a taxi transfer for us from Naples airport, the Bar ( Franco, Michele, & Vincenzio) - fabulous Pltanters Punch guys: the Restaruant staff ( Guiseppi, Luigi & Tony & all the waiters to numerous to mention) - fabulous food with great choice & the brithday cake was a delicious surprise: to the cleaners ( Anna S & Anna C). All of them are more than willing to make your stay a great one.
I travel with my parents & my mother who is disabled & uses a rollator finds this hotel very suitable for her needs. The hotel itslef is about 1 & half miles from the town center of Sorrento but is reached by a courtsey bus which travels ( free) up & down to the town in the morning, stops for a break at 1,00pm - then begins again at 4.30pm. So if you wish to be in the centre of things this is not the hotel for you. It is surrounded by green countryside up a road which goes to the village of San't Agata. The veiws are stunning, and the public rooms are very large, bright and airy. The main bar has soft lighting in the evening and has a large outside balcony which people sit out on to enjoy the lights of Sorrento and across the bay to Naples. In the evning there is always someone in the bar or balcony playing music & it is lovely to sit & enjoy an after dinner drink on the terrance or bar. No discos, karaoke or bingo here thank goodness!
Food is well cooked & very enjoyable, with a good choice of buffet breakfast, waiter severed meals in the evening with a choice of 5 starters, mains & deserts. The Restaurant Manager, Gusieppi & his very capable & helpful head waiters, Luigi & Tony are only to pleased to help you with your choice of meal or to explain what it is. Lunch can be taken by the pool & there again a good choice of snacks or main meals.
If you like to swim you will enjoy the large pool, jacuzzi & childrens pool, with a large sun terrance with sun beds and towels provided by the hotel. However, there is not a lot of amusement avaialbe for kids except the pool, so if you have kids to entertain who are not keen on the pool it may not be the place for your family, & a hotel closer to town with all of it's ice cream parlours might be more suitable. Children are made very welcome indeed, but there is not a lot to amuse them unless you bring it yourself.
The hotel has a wide variety of guests from many countries, US, Israel, China, Korea, French, German, Dutch & UK. All of this indicates that it is more than capable of dealing with a variety of people with very different levels of service required to meet their needs. Not an easy task.
The town of Sorrento is a very busy one, but I love it's vibrancy. Lots of cobbled streets with old world charm & you are actually mixing with the locals who live in the centre of Sorrento, so although it is a holiday resort it is also a typical Italian town. The local shops are amazing especially the fruit & veg & fresh fish shops. Where could you see lemons the size of footballs - I kid you not!
One of the things I have noticed about this hotel is that many guests come back year after year & I think that says it all. Go see for yourself & enjoy!

Room Tip: We had rooms at the back of the hotel which affords a bit of prvacy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Carolyn061
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a really great hotel... rooms for the most part overlook the cliffs and ocean - absolutely gorgeous views... I thought the hotel was pretty high up until we hired a van to get to the Amalfi Coast... we could go much higher I found out... ;-) The hotel is not next to the water and not really within walking distance of the town or waterfront, but there are plenty of ways to get where you want to go, so shouldn't be a show stopper unless you want to be right in town... also the roads are so tight I would recommend walking many places except in the town itself which is like many European towns very walkable in the shopping districts.

Anyway the food was pretty good - we had a party of 9 and breakfast and dinner was included... the service great... kudos to Salvatore and Luigi who made both the breakfast and dinner experience a pleasure!!

The rooms were very nicely appointed and regular beds were appreciated after the extra firm (hard) twins pushed together we had in Rome... the pool area was very nice, not crowded at all, so very usable... but the dining and bar areas were a highlight... we sat at the bar and out on the patio with bar service overlooking the cliffs - I had one of the best dirty martini's I've ever had... I thought the bar staff was excellent as well...

The only thing that I thought detracted from the hotel at all was the atmosphere... almost seemed like it was just opening and had not been fully decorated... hard to describe... not a real negative, just thought it was a little unusual that the lobby was not more appointed - pictures and accents... really nothing to worry - the service and facility was excellent!!

I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel have a direct view of the cliffs and sea... we were on a side v...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dgreene99
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2014

What a great place to stay. The views were fantastic and the rooms large and comfortable. We had an enjoyable experience with fine dining and the wine was not over the top with its pricing. A great location to visit the isle of Capri..

Should of stayed another night.

Room Tip: room 455 was great
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed here as a part of my tour. I think this is the main hotel for all tour companies. Lovely location plus they did have a shuttle to tow. That was free. No view from room and terrible food. Pool area is nice as is the terrace.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa B
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed in this hotel as part of tour. The room I received when checked I was overlooking some lemon trees with two single beds. No view! I am paying $500 per night for 3 nights, when I complained I was told I should be thankful as I was travelling solo and I got a room with two single beds instead of one! When I tried to explain this I'd not what I paid for he just walked away and ignored me until I left reception. Following morning I was in bed at 8am when housekeeping knocked once and just walked in! So I put the do not disturb sign on door and still an hour later it happened again. Power went out twice, no hot water in some rooms, food is very ordinary and service is non existent. Order a bottle of wine and t was dumped I the table and I had to pour every glass myself. Not even 3 star. Average age of occupants is 70, so maybe views are enough for them. If you do not get a guaranteed ocean view you may as we'll stay at a more convient location closet to town.

Room Tip: Must get view or choose another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank taf14
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We went here recently for a 1 week holiday, and it is a great, well run hotel, they had underground parking free of charge which was a bonus as they also had a free bus service running in and out of the town itself ! Perfect for Early Birds and late nights. Whilst there they also provide organised trips to Pompeii or Mt Vesuvius, Both of these we did and they were both great fun and interesting attractions. (Though the climb up Vesuvius was a bit of a challenge).
The hotel itself has a great outside seating area that goes with the bar so you can sit out and see the amazing views!! And the hotel provided different foods each night all of which was delicious.
The room itself was very nice and accommodating and the whole general service of the hotel was well organised and well provided.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sorrento
Grand Hotel Aminta
Best Western Hotel La Solara
Conca Park Hotel
Conca Park Hotel
#38 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Grand Hotel Vesuvio? Share your experiences!