“Great hotel in a splendid location”
Review of Minerva Hotel

Minerva Hotel
Ranked #13 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Stayed for 9 nights in June and had a fabulous time. Very friendly staff. Great views from the terrace. Nice pool on the rooftop. 10 minute walk from town but no big deal. Did half board for the first time and thought it was great. Food was excellent with plenty of choice each evening.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,141)

Reviewed 25 July 2012

This is a beautiful hotel with breathtaking views. We enjoyed the colorful ceramics throughout and the spacious rooms. Eating out on the terrace or having evening cocktails, I felt like I was in another world. I would agree that the walk back up to the hotel is a little scary with children. My adult daughter was squirted with water from a passing scooter. I know that's not the hotel's fault, but if you're not willing to pay for a taxi, it might be an issue for children or people with disabilities. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This hotel is older. The rooms are clean and adequate with large bathrooms. They are quiet for sleeping once everyone settles down. You will hear scraping of furniture above your room, you will hear loud talking in the hallway, traffic outside, and water rushing through the pipes...but later at night...I slept well until everyone woke up around 6:30 a.m. The air conditioning is not great but if you request it, they will try to lower the temperature (which is controlled at the front desk). The pool area is nice and the pool manager works hard to keep it clean. He will go out of his way to set up chairs and umbrellas for you. The hotel breakfast is decent but not much variety if you stay multiple days. We had dinner here one night and thought it was pretty good and comparable to what we experienced in town (at more expensive restaurants). The view is also spectacular, but you pay a price for that....you have to walk a lot to get to downtown. The walk is harsh for anyone not in good shape, older, too young, etc. as you have to walk on a narrow sidewalk that at times is reduced to the width only for one person. Add cars, scooters, and busses whizzing by...well you get the idea. But as I said the view IS spectacular. There are a lot of good hotels to choose from. I used a travel agent but I believe I could have found much better options for the same price myself. Also if money isn't a huge issue, there are some really awesome 4 and 5 star hotels in this town.

The beaches are not great, you can pay to lounge on a pier, or pay to use a private beach. Hanging out at the hotel pool was more preferred. This is a beautiful city and i often found myself just taking in the view. Also went to Capri for a day trip. Typical tourist experience, reminded me of any normal port that a cruise ship may stop at in the Caribbean.

Just a side note, as I was walking to from town, to the ferries, or to the marinas, I often thought I was glad my folks weren't with me. The walks were just too steep or required too many steps. You really climb and descend cliffs in this town. At times I felt like I was on a stair master. Again totally worth it...but if I had my parents along....we would have been using a lot of cabs. Well onto Rome tomorrow. Ciao!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony sea view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank suelivesinva
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here from July 4-8 and had a wonderful experience. Our room was comfortable and clean. We had a terrace with an unbelievable view--loved sitting out at night with a glass of wine. Also loved having a rooftop pool that we took advantage of during the afternoons-between touring and eating! Staff was nice and helpful. My husband had to fax something to the US and they were happy to do it for him and gave him confirmation that it went through. About a ten minute stroll to downtown Sorrento and it is a pleasant walk-although sometimes crossing the street from hotel to walk path was a little scary when the road was busy--some drivers are a little crazy ;)--but I took no chances and would wait to cross until I was sure to be safe! There is a small convenience store close to hotel where we would run in to pick up water, snacks, etc. on our walk back. There is a large patio/bar next to the restaurant where you can sit out and some evenings they had live music. Overall an excellent stay!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The Hotel Minerva is a beautiful hotel with an amazing view of Sorrento and the sea. The rooms are clean and spacious. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet is great as well with a wide selection. The pool is very nice and well maintained. However, the one reservation that we have about selecting this hotel for your stay, and this applies to all hotels on the Via Capo above Sorrento, is the location. While the view from its perch on the cliffs is absolutely gorgeous, the walk to and from the town is very aggravating, and occasionally scary, particularly with small children. The path along the Via Capo is very narrow with cars, buses and motor bikes racing by spewing exhaust. Every time that we ventured into Sorrento, we had a negative experience due to this road. The cost of a taxi is prohibitive (18-20 Euro one way). If you plan on going in and out of the town of Sorrento particularly with small children, this hotel may not be for you.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank AZtraveler73
Reviewed 21 July 2012

The staff , especially Nello, was extremely helpful and helped with several day trips to surrounding areas such as Pompeii, Amalfi coast and Capri. The sea view rooms had wonderfully large balconies with a fabulous coastal and bay view and the hotel pools and terrace areas were fabulous as well. Within 10 to 20 minutes you could walk to any of the marinas and restaurants in town. Would definitely stay there again. Good breakfast as well. My only complaint was that the room never really got cool enough at night but this seems to be common in Italy in July.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Spent 3 nights there in July with wife during our first trip to Italy, Hotel is very charming with bright ceramic tiles everywhere. The pools are very nice and great after a day of hiking the local mountains.

Breakfast was very good with a nice selection, though the coffee was surprisingly bad. That was a minor issue, but unusual for Italy. Never tried dinner there as we ate in town.

Front desk, bar and restaurant staff were friendly and helpful, and spoke good English. The view from the room balcony, or any of the public areas, is outstanding. Location is perfect, about a 10 minute easy walk to town. Close enough to go back and forth easily but far enough away to be very quiet at night.

All in all, a wonderful experience. Should we return to Sorrento, we will be back at the Minerva.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony/terrace !!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple