“Best holiday I have ever had”
Review of Minerva Hotel

Minerva Hotel
Ranked #12 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Dorset
“Best holiday I have ever had”
Reviewed 29 September 2008

This holiday was truley one in a million.
The veiws from all around the hotel were breathtaking, the restarunt food was amazing, the rooms were wonderfull and very well kept, and above all the staff were increadable and made you feel like an old friend.
The evening entertainment was wonderful and nothing was to much to ask.
Your ever need was personaly and profesioanaly taken care of and the minerva is a 100% MUST VISIT!!!

Thankyou to the staff and i will be recommending you to everyone i see and returning again and again!

xx

• Liked — The staff, they made the holiday just amazing
  • Disliked — There wasn't to much room to slide sunloungers into shade
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank his-english-bella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
Newton-le-Willows, England
Reviewed 29 September 2008

My wife Susan and I have stayed in Sorrento for the past eight years as we enjoy the location, the people and the food. Our latest stay in Sorrento was at the Hotel Minerva, our first stay at this hotel. We found the Minerva to be the best hotel by far that we have stayed in on our visits to Sorrento. The restaraunt was very relaxing and unhurried. The menu was varied and the food cooked to perfection. The hotel staff proved to be the friendliest and most helpful we have ever encountered and we thank them kindly. The room we stayed in was very comfortable and kept beautifully clean during our stay. Finally, the view of Sorrento and the bay of Naples from the Minerva is the most breath-taking we have ever seen, but don't take our word for it, come and see for your selves!!

• Liked — Hotel staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
belfast
Reviewed 26 September 2008

Hotel: Minerva, Sorrento,Italy

Visited: 5th September, 2008

Have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Minerva and what
a marvellous time we had in a beautiful place, staying in a wonderful hotel!

From day 1 we were made to feel welcome and as it is a family run hotel there is a very homely and welcoming feeling about it. It is beautifully situated up on the cliffs overlooking The Bay of Naples and is typically Italian with its mosaic tiled floors and beautiful decor. We had a lovely room with a small but adequate
balcony overlooking The Bay which had towels and sheets changed every day. Breakfast and Dinner was served on the Terrace every day which was fabulous with its views - the breakfast had a very good selection of fruit, rolls, cereal etc but
the evening meals were fabulous with waiter service - the choice and quality was five star, the staff, particularly Nino were excellent, friendly and attentive - the pasta dishes, particularly the
lasange were fantastic as were the desserts, the lemon profiteroles and the chocolate ice-cream were to 'die for'!!

I have to say that all the staff - reception, cleaners, bar staff were
very friendly, but i have to give a mention in particular to the head barman 'Antonio' - think of Sean Connery, Antonio Banderas and Pierce Brosnan rolled into one and that is him girls/ladies!!!!
If he lived in London he'd be snapped up by a model agency in minutes - he must be the most photographed man in Italy - a total charmer who made all us females feel wonderful!!

Sorrento town is a 10 minute walk away but very 'hairy' with a narrow footpath and mad traffic flying by. The town has a lot of character with no 'tacky' shops, a lovely Square and lots to see.
We visited Capri which is fabulous but the Thomas Cook 'Capri by Twilight' trip is not worth the money!! The Amalfi Drive is quite scary if you don't like heights but is not to be missed with stops in
Amalfi and Ravello, views from each town quite breathtaking.

Overall our holiday exceeded all our expectations, the Minerva
being the best hotel we have ever stayed in with the most wonderfull staff and spectacular views. There were fireworks every night all around the Bay which were brilliant and the entertainment, although low-key was very good, the Gala night was wonderful,being served fabulous food under the stars overlooking the Bay of Naples being serenaded by a fabulous tenor singing Nessan Dorma - hard to top that!!

This hotel has spoilt us for anywhere else!
We definately hope to return to this 'little bit of heaven on earth'!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Lynnwood, WA
Reviewed 5 September 2008

We took the advice of Rick Steves and booked our stay at the Hotel Minerva for our recent trip to Italy. I made my reservation directly through the hotel and was so impressed with their quick responses and professionalism. I had mentioned in my e-mail that my husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary while in Sorrento. We were surprised to find a bottle of champagne chilling in our room when we arrived! THANK YOU Hotel Minerva for your thoughtfulness. The accommodations were clean, quiet and relaxing. We spent most of our time adventuring to different places but we did manage to squeeze in one day by the pool. Hotel Minerva surpassed our expectations and was a lovely place to spend our anniversary.

• Liked — The hotel staff and location
  • Disliked — It's hard to find anything negative!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LMjetsetters
Belfast
Reviewed 2 September 2008

We stayed at the Minerva on our honeymoon in August 2008- on arrival we were given a very warm welcome and shown to our room- it was a lovely big room, nice ensuite, big kingsize bed and LCD TV. The bellboy then opened the balcony doors- WOW! The view of the harbour and Naples in the background is truly magnificent! You get to soak in this view on your balcony, when you eat your breakfast and all day as you laze at the pool! The guy who looks after the pool area Franco is a scream- he's a one man show!!
The room are cleaned every day and the maids are so friendly too! Food is magnificent- I've prob left some stuff out but trust me this hotel is the real deal- book it now!
The only downside is the hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the centre- not too far bu it is quite hilly and the footpath quite narrow so may not suit the elderly or those with very small kids- personally I liked this as you need a bit of exercise to work off the excellent food you will undoubtedly scoff!!

• Liked — The Views and staff
  • Disliked — NA
Co. Antrim, N Ireland.
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We stayed at Minerva Hotel for 2 wks in August. The hotel situation was fantastic....imagine having your meals in an open air restaurant overlooking Sorrento bay!!.
The hotel owner was a very gracious, friendly lady. The staff - cleaners, reception, poolside, bar and restaurant-were superb in every way. Special mention must go to Nino in the restaurant ,and Antonio in the bar who were so professional at their jobs, and yet were also very friendly with all guests.We never have experienced better staff than this on any holiday before.
It was not noted on their website but pool towels are provided.
The evening entertainment was most enjoyable, especially the Tenors on Gala Dinner night.. We found that we seldom went into Sorrento at night because the ambiance at our hotel was lovely, and the walk back from Sorrento was uphill!
Take time to visit Marina Grande, and the 1st restaurant on the left is lovely for a meal. Angela & Gerry, N Ireland

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — It was located uphill out of Sorrento
1 Thank angeladillon52
UK
Reviewed 29 August 2008

Really enjoyed our holiday here for so many reasons.

Firstly, the staff. I booked everything independently this year. I am a worrier by nature so had worst case scenarios of ‘what if they haven’t got my booking right’ all the way to the hotel! I had booked for my and my partner and also his parents so felt quite responsible. Having said that, I had booked directly with Antionetta via email some time before and this booking was handled extremely smoothly.

We booked a taxi through Johnny’s (seen here on trip advisor) to take us from Naples airport to the hotel. On arrival there all my fears were washed away as the man on reception greeted me and was expecting us. He was smiling from the day we arrived to the day we left – I think he smiles all the time! His English was excellent and he explained the restaurant times and other bits we needed to know before giving us our keys to our rooms.

From here on we were just more and more impressed by the staff. Our next encounter was of Antonio in the bar. What a charmer! And what a genuinely nice guy. His English is perfect and he makes jokes which I think is such a hard thing to do in another language. Every day when he comes on duty he walks around the terrace and says hello to everyone, asks how they are etc. Great guy. He serves fantastic cocktails and other drinks until late on the beautiful terrace.

You will see Antionetta and Marilena by reception too. Lovely, friendly, happy people who always spoke to us and were so keen to offer help. Nothing was too much trouble. In the restaurant the staff were excellent also. While we were away we got engaged and we were so surprised and pleased to receive a bottle of bubbly from Antionietta as congratulations. We were really spoilt and made a fuss of by the staff who all took an interest in our news.

Our rooms were amazing. We were on the 5th floor – one floor above reception, restaurant and terrace and this was perfect. Our rooms had a large terrace with table and chairs and two sunbeds. On the floor above they had smaller balconies, above that windows and above that much smaller windows. Be sure to be specific about the kind of room you want. When I booked I specifically asked for rooms with a sea view and balcony and I am so pleased I did.

Everything in the room was great. A fridge for putting bits in if you need it, a minibar, a very flash TV (which we hardly used) and ample lovely old furniture to store everything in. Bathroom was great too. One of those massive Victorian style showerheads so you get a real drenching – lovely! Room was cleaned very well every day and we left a note and a tip for the maid with our thanks. The air con wasn’t strong enough for me but everyone else in the party was fine. I am always boiling hot when I sleep so I can’t really blame the hotel. If you really need a cool room then ask for another key I guess. We weren’t in it enough to be that bothered and wanted the doors open so we could take in the view

Breakfast in the restaurant was great. There was a good selection – I never got bored of it and miss it now! Service is excellent and the very polite staff have everything well organised. The restaurant is on a beautiful terrace overlooking Sorrento so you have lots to look at while you dine. I only ate once in the evening at the hotel. The food was good. Service was excellent and the meal turned out to be very reasonable even though I really thought it would be expensive. I would have eaten there again if I had realised!

You should allow about 15 minutes to walk from the hotel to the centre of town. The road is a little busy but it didn’t phase us at all. We needed to have a few good walks given the amount of laying around we were doing all day long!

Overall I think this is an excellent hotel and great value for what you get; great service, lovely food and the nicest hotel staff I have had the pleasure of meeting.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Nothing