“Great food, Great service, Great views”
Review of Minerva Hotel

Minerva Hotel
Ranked #11 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Great food, Great service, Great views”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here for seven nights at end of May 2014. Must say our first meal was not very exciting, the quality was ok but it was served luke warm, there again it was 1030pm when we arrived.
The rest of the week was excellent, breakfast was buffet style with plenty of choice and evening meals were tremendous, the starter would have passed for a main course in many places.
All the staff were extremely helpful and very pleasant.
We paid extra for a balcony which was a bit disappointing. it was very small and situated above the main road which was very busy (room 105 in the annexe).
The views from the restaurant balcony and from the swimming pool were amazing and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the annexe as you have to take the lift up to level 4 and then get into another lift do...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I can't understand what any person would have to complain about in this hotel! Every part of the hotel we came across was spotless. The staff work so hard to give you 100% holiday satisfaction. They are so friendly yet professional and make you feel very welcome and comfortable.

The location of the hotel, to me, was just right. You're a 10 minute walk from the centre of town, which being further up, gives you the most breathtaking views over the bay and the seclusion and peace that you want whilst in your hotel.

The room we had was spacious, immaculate and cosy. Yes, the view wasn't fantastic yet in my opinion, if you want a 5 star view, don't pay the price for a basic room. We were very happy with the quality of what we had paid for. I normally struggle to sleep in hotels due to the rocky pillows but here, I managed to get a full, great nights sleep.

The bar and restaurant staff are marvellous, they excel in every way. It is obvious that they take pride in what they do and seek to provide the best service possible. Nothing is too much to ask.
The food was lovely also, the menu you was varied each night so it didn't get repetitive.

We travelled with Thomson, who we think did not receive any less service than others staying in the hotel, our rep was Ashley who was very approachable and friendly. If you felt there was a problem, she would go far out of her way to solve it for you.

This was a present for my mothers 50th birthday, I am 21 and we both felt this hotel was right for us, which to me says it's suitable for all ages.

In all, this was for us, the most perfect week away!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Claire J
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Just returned from Sorrento staying at the Minerva and my boyfriend and I really enjoyed the trip. Can't really fault the hotel, food was good, room spacious. staff very friendly and the view spectacular. Would love to return as we found a week was not long enough. Well done Minerva.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C unit noise.
4 Thank Janina C
Reading
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We've just returned from a week at the Minerva and I have to say we were disappointed with our stay. We booked it mainly from reading all the marvelous reviews on Tripadvisor.
The views from the terrace and rooftop are stunning and the location is very good. But the hotel is a 3 star at best with 5 star views.

We had booked a week half board with Thomson and I think that was where our problems started, when checking in we were told we were with 'the group' and it seemed Thomson guests were allocated the worst rooms.

We were in room 108 and we were unhappy with our room. It was on the first floor but there was no view at all only the rockface the building is built against . A very small outside space with very little natural light. You couldn't sit out as it was dusty and dirty. The air conditioning didn't work and we found it quite stifling some nights. There was also smells from the drains at times. The bed was very uncomfortable. We complained about the room and lack of aircon and we were told that somebody would have a look at it. It was only on our last night that we were given a remote control to work the aircon and we feel we had been fobbed off. The hotel said the smell was from drains outside the hotel and there was nothing they could do about it.

The reception staff we found to be very abrupt and not really that helpful. The other staff we found were very pleasant. We liked Franco the pool man, and he did a great job of keeping the rooftop pool area very clean and ship shape. This is a very nice area with plenty of sun beds and a bar area. Great views.

We found the waiting staff all very good too. All very friendly and professional and the service was good. The food however, was disappointing. Breakfast was poor, it was the usual buffet affair but the fruit all looked past it's best, the hot items were inedible, the coffee was from a machine and was like weak instant stuff. Fruit juices were really sweet. The only thing that I enjoyed was the fresh bread and croissants.
The evening meals were better but really quite average for a 4 star hotel. If you'd had them out at a restaurant you'd probably not go back.

Sorrento is a lovely town and we did some great day trips to Capri and The Amalfi coast and also Pompeii. I'm sure we will return, but not to the Minerva I'm afraid.

Room Tip: Avoid room 108
4 Thank larnerdarren
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Excellent hotel, views fantastic, staff were so friendly. I would pick this hotel again, as I intend to go back to this lovely part of Italy and complete my education. I can't name the staff (because I'm hopeless at names) but everyone from the guy down at street level who never stopped laughing to the head of the waiting staff were brilliant and attentive. If I had to pick one it would be the wine waiter who was so knowledgeable about the local wines. all in all a good time was had in this hotel, some have complained about the décor, but I find it great. Love the huge pocket watch at street level.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
1 Thank davidk518
Lawton, Oklahoma
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The setting of the Minerva is truly a little piece of heaven on earth! My room was large, with a magnificent view of Vesuvius and Sorrento from the balcony on which I could have hosted a party for a dozen people. (I'm only exaggerating a little, it was really a large balcony with two lounge chairs and a table with two chairs.) My double bed was extremely comfortable and it was wonderful sleeping with the balcony doors open and the cool night air drifting in. There's some road noise from the Via Capo during the day, but it's pretty quiet at night and the shutters can be shut and locked while leaving the glass doors open allowing the breeze to come in. The bathroom had a tub, which I appreciated after ten nights in Italy with only showers, even if it was rather narrow.

I loved the enchanting and colorful décor, though there could be a few repairs done, such as on the ripped awning that was below my balcony. The lobbies, bar and other public areas are beautiful and welcoming; there are many great places to sit and read, or just enjoy the views, while a rain shower passes by. The pools are immaculate and have the most incredible views you can imagine. Really...the setting is so amazing I spent more time at the hotel than I normally would have. It was a nice, relaxing end to my two week holiday in Italy!

The breakfasts were average, but the view they came with was spectacular. Don't let the juice and coffee machines fool you...the contents are fresh and delicious. The dinners were the best I had in all of Italy, (Venice, Florence, Rome and Sorrento)!! If I had known the food would be so amazing, I would have booked half-board. I had researched other restaurants in Sorrento prior to my arrival and had a list of some I wanted to try, but after eating in the hotel the first evening, I ate there every night. I really can't say enough about the wonderful dinners, especially the tomato soup, (and I normally don't even like tomato soup!), and the grouper.

It's an easy walk to and from Piazza Tasso, the port and the train station, which makes it convenient for visiting all the sights in the area. There is a bus stop just outside the hotel, and I think they sell tickets at the desk.

The staff is warm, friendly, and funny. Antoinetta was very helpful in making my reservation and in advising me about the shuttle to Naples for my departure. The gentlemen working at Minerva are oh-so-charming and helpful. With all their "Ciao Bellas," hand-kissing and "It's all for you" (in regard to the seating with amazing views), they made me feel like visiting royalty. I met quite a few other guests who were there on return visits, and I can understand why!! Next time, I will stay for at least a week, if not longer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Melody M
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The Minerva is on the coast road west of Sorrento. A little climb from the main town but well worth the effort! My husband and I stayed here for 10 days. We had a lovely room with a private balcony. The staff are friendly and the hotel has a relaxed atmosphere. It was like being in a film-set. Perfetto!

1 Thank Kathy O