“Unforgettable stay at the Minerva”
Review of Minerva Hotel

Minerva Hotel
Ranked #13 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 26 October 2009

This holiday will stay with me for a long time to come...memorable,relaxing and totally enjoyable. Firstly,a big thank you to Antonietta and her cheerful friendly staff. They could not have been more welcoming and helpful . Antonietta,the owner,was always on hand to take care of our many requests and, indeed, she promptly replied to the many emails I sent her befroe our arrival...I am a fussy guest and I kept changing my mind about the room I wanted.
Pick the sea view deluxe rooms, they have the best balconies and are higher up,so you don't notice the traffic noise so much.Our room was on the 7th floor and was very comfortable indeed. Great balcony,sun loungers and table etc. I defy anyone not to be impressed when you open your bedroom patio windows for the first time. Breathtaking!!
We spent a week here and I can honestly say that we just did not want to leave.
The restaurant was excellent...great breakfasts...and the gala dinner was excellent value. The opera singer who entertained us after dinner was top class and all in all,it was a memorable night.
Getting into town was easy. Either walk down the hill or take the regular bus service.Its a pleasant walk and I didnt find it daunting even though I have arthritis in my right knee.However,please be wary of the taxi charges.We took a taxi on the first night back to the hotel and I felt the price he charged for a 4 minute taxi ride was exhorbitant. Be aware also,that the last bus back up the hill is about 11pm. We just strolled back at night after our first experience...not a bother,just take your time and its a doddle.
I will definitely be going back to this hotel as soon as...beautiful old world decor and charm. I highly recommend it. Bravo Minerva.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank johndonDublin
Write a ReviewReviews (1,145)

Reviewed 20 October 2009

We stayed here for two nights on a seven night trip split between Amalfi, Sorrento & Rome. After researching numerous hotels we booked the Minerva and were very pleased with our choice. The hotel's desk checked us in quickly, gave us maps for Sorrento, sold us bus passes and gave us free internet access when we needed to check our flights and some other emails. The room was very clean - and very green. Bathroom was nice size, although the tub was a bit narrow on the shower end, but good water strength and temperature. Bed was very comfortable. The balcony was HUGE!!!! What a view - we had views of Vesuvius as well as Naples & Sorrento. We walked down the hill on the sidewalk and went to explore the town and we walked back. It was a nice walk after the big dinners. The breakfast was plentiful - yogurts, cereal, eggs, cakes, fruits, etc. My husband loved the coffees in the morning. I had looked at booking a hotel more "in town", but I'm very glad we stayed at the Minerva.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank strictlybettyboop
Reviewed 17 October 2009

good points - best views in sorrento -staff very good -food varied and tasty -roof top pool lovely very relaxing - rooms are spacious and very clean try to get a room in 600s you will no t need a balcony nice location just ten minutes walk from town centre bad points- not many -some water noise from adjacent rooms but this did not annoy us our only complaint really was the lukewarm coffee for breakfast why o why all in all a really enjoyable two weeks about sorrento - find the kiosk bar a little gem owners are so friendly -cheapest drink in town and the largest measures - the welcome is as good as you get from the irish we will be back brendan and elizabeth -ireland

1  Thank hemanireland
Reviewed 8 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at Minerva Sorrento from September 24-28,2009. It is a great hotel with a wonderful staff. It is just a short walk to the center of Sorrento, near shopping and restaurants. Rooms vary, and ours had a large seaview balcony on the 7th floor. It was a good value and I would recommend this hotel highly.

Reviewed 2 October 2009

2 categories of hotels in Sorrento: those in town, close to the marina and train station (such as the Antiche Mura), and those up in the hills, such as this one - Minerva Hotel. By virtue of its location, the Minerva's rooms and balconies have the great view over the bay. This is great if you plan to stay in your hotel room, and indeed, when i was there, the hotel was filled with mostly older couples who seemed to stay around a lot. If you prefer to leave your hotel, even to get a cup of coffee, you must climb up and down a steep hill with heavy traffic and narrow footpaths. So the Minerva is ok for those who just want the view and like the colourful decorations and the helpful staff. But what will you do? There is a pool, unheated, that was already too cold for anyone to use by 16 Sept. Want the jacuzzi instead? It's cold water: colder than the pool! And the food tastes like it came from Tesco. It's your choice.

9  Thank zyle
Reviewed 30 September 2009

My wife and I stated here from 9/7-9-11. Sorrento was to be relaxing part of our three week stay in Italy and it was great. I will start off with the worst part. We came from Venice on the overnight train into Naple and then had to take the local train to Sorrento. This was absolutely miserable. The train is about an hour long with about 50 stops and its hot and crowded and sketchy. I honestly thought i might have to murder someone on this train. But i had arranged with the hotel to have a taxi pick me up at the Sorrento train station and he was there with a sign with my name. Perfect. I was immediately in a better mood. 15Eur for the Taxi which was more that fine with me. So 10-15 mins later we arrive at the Miverva. The hotel is pretty much on the side of a cliff with a completely unobstructed view of the entire Bay of Naple and Sorrento. Awesome. We booked the balcony double delux sea view room. This room was insane. we were on the top floor. the room was big with a double door balcony overlooking the bay directly in front of the Vesuvio. The balcony was huge. we had to sun lounge chairs and a table with chairs and plenty of room. we slept with the balcony doors open every night. All of the staff at this hotel were very friendly and helpful. This hotel is misleadingly large. There are two pools one of the lobby level which is smaller and one on the roof which is much bigger but beware of the pool nazi. He keeps that pool and surrounding area pristine. There is a very large "snack" menu for lunch. The food was pretty good too. My only complaint about the food was dinner. there was a seperate dinner menu which i was not impressed with and you could not order off the lunch snack menu which in my opinion was better than the dinner menu. This did not affect me all that much as i ate out every night anyway. Pretty much everything is in walking distance. i think its about 20-25 mins to the center and too the marina that you can see below the hotel. I recommend going here and renting the chairs on the larger of the inlets. there's restaurant on this inlet is pretty good. and its 6EUR for a chair all day long. You will understand what i am talking about when you look down from the hotel. Without question i would stay here again and request the same room number which escapes me at the moment. The food in Sorrento over all is pretty good. Much more consistant than other parts of Italy. we ate at Ristorante 'o Parrucchiano la Favorita 3 out of 4 night and this place is great. make sure you eat there.

2  Thank fatnipples
Reviewed 24 September 2009

This is the fifth time, over a period of nearly 15 years, that we have stayed in Sorrento always in good hotels, but this is the first time we have had reservations about the hotel classification which is advertised as 4 Star. The views from the hotel are of course superb (5 Star?) but are not within the gift of the hotel management.
Rooms: Our room and balcony on the 4th floor was smaller than expected but it seemed a better option than two more we saw on the same floor which had unattractive colour schemes and one had a restricted outlook and was next to the lift shafts. The sea view was again superb. Only a limited number of rooms have a large balcony and also one assumes more space. I would suggest asking for a room on the 5th floor or above as these will have less road noise.
Food: In most cases meals were served on the outdoor balcony area which is very pleasant with excellent views. The indoor alternative used when the wind kept people inside was less attractive. The breakfasts and evening meals were adequate but nothing to be excited about and not up to what I would consider a 4 Star standard. The service however was good from the cheerful and eager staff.
Bar: A very personable barman but they do not serve the Gin & Tonics as they should be done particularly at Sorrento prices.
Pool: Positioned at the top of the hotel with views of the Bay of Naples and Sorrento that could be enjoyed all day - plus a helpful, friendly Pool Attendant providing drinks and snacks throughout the day.
Overall we enyoyed our holiday in Sorrento, it is almost impossible not to do so. We were out in the town every night rather than staying in as there was plenty going on there to occupy us quite happily!

2  Thank SuesHolidays