“An Excellent Choice”
Review of Minerva Hotel

Minerva Hotel
Ranked #13 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 3 January 2010

The Hotel Minerva is set into the side cliff of Sorrento gazing out over the city and the AMAZING Amalfi coast. The views from this hotel are insane. Never thought I would live to see famous Mount Vesuvius or the Isle of Capri but right from your room....it is there...laid out before you. It is also an excellent "hub" if you wish to see the Amalfi Coast...Positano was a short but scary bus ride away... The staff were great and the breakfast that is included....WOW. Hope you enjoy this one!

Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RoccoDiCardielli
Write a ReviewReviews (1,142)

Reviewed 30 October 2009

Really marvellous views and the staff were very helpful and charming. Sorrento and the hotel were quiet at the end of the season which was great. There are lovely walks that start from just behind the hotel and go up into the hills winding through olive groves and little villages. Really recommend gettting hold of the excellent walking map "country walks Sorrento" from the tourist office - www.comune.sorrento.na.it

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank WidLondon
Reviewed 26 October 2009

This holiday will stay with me for a long time to come...memorable,relaxing and totally enjoyable. Firstly,a big thank you to Antonietta and her cheerful friendly staff. They could not have been more welcoming and helpful . Antonietta,the owner,was always on hand to take care of our many requests and, indeed, she promptly replied to the many emails I sent her befroe our arrival...I am a fussy guest and I kept changing my mind about the room I wanted.
Pick the sea view deluxe rooms, they have the best balconies and are higher up,so you don't notice the traffic noise so much.Our room was on the 7th floor and was very comfortable indeed. Great balcony,sun loungers and table etc. I defy anyone not to be impressed when you open your bedroom patio windows for the first time. Breathtaking!!
We spent a week here and I can honestly say that we just did not want to leave.
The restaurant was excellent...great breakfasts...and the gala dinner was excellent value. The opera singer who entertained us after dinner was top class and all in all,it was a memorable night.
Getting into town was easy. Either walk down the hill or take the regular bus service.Its a pleasant walk and I didnt find it daunting even though I have arthritis in my right knee.However,please be wary of the taxi charges.We took a taxi on the first night back to the hotel and I felt the price he charged for a 4 minute taxi ride was exhorbitant. Be aware also,that the last bus back up the hill is about 11pm. We just strolled back at night after our first experience...not a bother,just take your time and its a doddle.
I will definitely be going back to this hotel as soon as...beautiful old world decor and charm. I highly recommend it. Bravo Minerva.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank johndonDublin
Reviewed 20 October 2009

We stayed here for two nights on a seven night trip split between Amalfi, Sorrento & Rome. After researching numerous hotels we booked the Minerva and were very pleased with our choice. The hotel's desk checked us in quickly, gave us maps for Sorrento, sold us bus passes and gave us free internet access when we needed to check our flights and some other emails. The room was very clean - and very green. Bathroom was nice size, although the tub was a bit narrow on the shower end, but good water strength and temperature. Bed was very comfortable. The balcony was HUGE!!!! What a view - we had views of Vesuvius as well as Naples & Sorrento. We walked down the hill on the sidewalk and went to explore the town and we walked back. It was a nice walk after the big dinners. The breakfast was plentiful - yogurts, cereal, eggs, cakes, fruits, etc. My husband loved the coffees in the morning. I had looked at booking a hotel more "in town", but I'm very glad we stayed at the Minerva.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank strictlybettyboop
Reviewed 17 October 2009

good points - best views in sorrento -staff very good -food varied and tasty -roof top pool lovely very relaxing - rooms are spacious and very clean try to get a room in 600s you will no t need a balcony nice location just ten minutes walk from town centre bad points- not many -some water noise from adjacent rooms but this did not annoy us our only complaint really was the lukewarm coffee for breakfast why o why all in all a really enjoyable two weeks about sorrento - find the kiosk bar a little gem owners are so friendly -cheapest drink in town and the largest measures - the welcome is as good as you get from the irish we will be back brendan and elizabeth -ireland

1  Thank hemanireland
Reviewed 8 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at Minerva Sorrento from September 24-28,2009. It is a great hotel with a wonderful staff. It is just a short walk to the center of Sorrento, near shopping and restaurants. Rooms vary, and ours had a large seaview balcony on the 7th floor. It was a good value and I would recommend this hotel highly.

Reviewed 2 October 2009

2 categories of hotels in Sorrento: those in town, close to the marina and train station (such as the Antiche Mura), and those up in the hills, such as this one - Minerva Hotel. By virtue of its location, the Minerva's rooms and balconies have the great view over the bay. This is great if you plan to stay in your hotel room, and indeed, when i was there, the hotel was filled with mostly older couples who seemed to stay around a lot. If you prefer to leave your hotel, even to get a cup of coffee, you must climb up and down a steep hill with heavy traffic and narrow footpaths. So the Minerva is ok for those who just want the view and like the colourful decorations and the helpful staff. But what will you do? There is a pool, unheated, that was already too cold for anyone to use by 16 Sept. Want the jacuzzi instead? It's cold water: colder than the pool! And the food tastes like it came from Tesco. It's your choice.

9  Thank zyle