“Great Hotel But......”

Ranked #21 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
New York / Florida
“Great Hotel But......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

I had a few challenges in route to the hotel because the airline, Lufthansa delayed my baggage. I was not able to meet up with my sister and her husband on the first night of our stay. My sister spoke to the hotel front desk clerk and they were very understanding and my sister was told I WOULD NOT be charged for the night because of the airlines mistake. When I arrived the following day, I was told I would be charged for the previous night by Francesco by order of his Accounting Department. I do understand certain rules but good customer service should have stepped in at this point. It is for this reason I would not stay there again and unless you are sure you will be arriving on time, I would advise against staying there. I ask the hotel to reverse the charge on my credit card and I would consider staying there on my next trip in 2010.

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank mstanco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

Room and bathroom old fashioned, tired and not the best quality. To our mind much of the hotel felt as if it would benefit from refurbishment and a good clean / airing. The wonderful views and kind, courteous staff unfortunately couldn't compensate for our disappointment regarding the quality of the accommodation.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Somerset UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

We had dinner at this hotel whilst staying in Sorrento due to a sudden thunderstorm and after we had had 3 very good lunchtime snacks. The dinner was awfull we choose chicken soup and pasta for my partner. The chicken soup was out of a packet and the pasta overcooked ( should be a crimminal offence in Italy ) The main course not bad but not good value. My partner had cheese for dessert. Considering Italy has very many good cheeses we were presented with 3 cheeses 2 should only be used for cooking and the 3rd looked like those litlle plastic wraps you get on charter airlines. The cost of this poor meal was 40 euros each by far the most expensive meal we had in Sorrento and the worst. I raised these complaints with the management who only commented that they would speak to the chef. This is not the standard I would expect form a 4 star hotel

MariellaRusso, owner at Hotel Belair, responded to this review, 13 October 2009
Dear Sir/Madam,

We feel very sorry reading your comments.
Of course we apologize for not meeting your expectations, but we feel you are being too categorical.
First of all, due to the mentioned thunderstorm, we had many electrical problems that night, which is a partial justification, and the fact that you had 3 very good lunchtime snacks (cooked by the same chef) means that the food is not as poor as you say.
We asked you to come back in order to compensate your complaints in some way but you didn’t give us the chance to redress.
Talking about price: 40 Euros is definitely the average price for a 3 courses meal in a 4* hotel restaurant. It looks expensive compared to a “Trattoria” with no 4* service and setting.
We would be very happy to welcome you back to our Hotel, to stay with us in the future and not just for a meal, to show you our general money value.

Best regards,

Mariella Russo
Hotel Belair
Wilmington NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2009

We have just returned from an all too short ( 3 day) at the Belair. We found the hotel to be excellent in all respects , the staff was friendly , attentive , and very efficient . The shower was a little small , but I am a fairly big guy . I would highly recommend this hotel , look forward to returning on my next trip to Italy .

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
ESSEX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2009

Had a fantastic holiday at this hotel nothing to much trouble for the staff. Restaurant team are fantastic always friendly smiling and helpful nothing is to much trouble. If you want a cooked breakfast just ask the waiter. View from all rooms excellent across tha bay of Naples. Walk into city about 15 mins to left of hotel or bus stop opposite cost 2 euros you can but tickets at reception. Recommend you do the Amalfi Drive Select Tour and the Capri and Anacapri both very good scenery and worth the money. I f you book through Thomson there rep Katherine is excellent and very informative at the welcome meeting. Ristorante Sorrento was nice in via P.R.Giuliani also Fauno Bar in Piazza Tasso. Nice pool in hotel but very cold also no tea making facilities in room. It is a small friendly hotel definitely worth a visit if thinking of going to ITALY. How first time to Italy and not disappointed but the weather let us down plenty of thunderstorms. 14-21 Sept, If you decide to book this hotel I am sure you will have a fantastic holiday. Hotel reviews are all good and well deserved.

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

Beautiful view,luxury facilities,great hotel staff and great breakfast. We have got a very nice room with large balcony with superb view of Golf of Naples and Marina Grande.
Location is 15 minutes walk from city on a busy road and the hotel does not offer shuttle.However there is public bus transporation with bus station right in front of the hotel.Buses are running every 20 minutes and will take 10-15 minutes ride to Piazza Tasso at 2 Euro.You can buy the tickets at front desk or at any tabbaco stores. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful with any questions we had.There is a very nice pool area but unfortunately the water was cold . It will really bee more enjoyable if the pool would have heated water.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2009

Stayed at the belair for 2 nights. The hotel appearance is a bit dated as is the decor for the rooms. But when you open the doors and look at the view from the balcony you shouldn't really care!

The hotel is about 10 minutes walk into town. There are plenty of places to eat and drink. I would recommend this hotel just for the view.

The staff were good at informing us where to go etc, except one member who told us an attraction was only 45 minutes away, but was almost 1hr 45mins away. Still had a good time though :-)