“Very romantic hotel and surroundigs with professional staff”

Grand Hotel Riviera
Ranked #20 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Lund, Sweden
“Very romantic hotel and surroundigs with professional staff”
Reviewed 18 May 2011

This is a perfect hotel to relax at with marvelous view over the Naples Sea, private beach and nice dinners and personnel you will appreciate.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RivieraLund_Sweden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Finnish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I'm staying here with my friend and have nothing bad to say. We're both quite picky and have stayed at some spectacular hotels. This hotel rates as one of the highest.
The staff are courteous, helpful, and seem genuinely happy to help make your stay brilliant.
We've eaten in every night, and have loved the food (don't undertand why other guests have complained about it).
The "beach" area is fantastic, with exquisite views.
It's a calm, serene, peaceful destination, so if you're looking for complete relaxation, come here.
I think we'll definitely be back.

Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank JulieAMC70
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 December 2010

I've been meaning to write a review since we got back, however 'I just don't know' about this hotel! The view, the town itself and the variety of things to do were what was best about staying here. Don't get me wrong we had an amazing time, however it was the small things that were missing.
We were on our honeymoon and when I booked I asked for one of their best rooms. Our balcony looked over a roof. I asked to move and they said no. For the price we felt that the room was very basic, they could do with being done up a bit! I guess I wanted the hotel to go the extra mile to make it feel a bit special and I don't feel that they did!
The person in reception was always nice and friendly, and the pool guy was so very lovely and helpful. However there were 2 older men that lurked behind reception and they made me feel very uncomfortable. I would ask one of them a question and they would speak to each other in Italian and then laugh before answering my question in a sarcastic manner. When I paid, I paid these men and I paid the day before we left, they were not happy that I did this, however I explained that I wanted to get it out of the way so that check out would be quick the next day. I paid in cash and there was around €47 change, he walked away without giving me my change or a receipt, so I asked him for my change and he was not happy. He asked 'what if you have something from the mini bar, we will hold onto your change until tomorrow'. I asked him to write on my receipt that he owed me money and boy was he not happy!
We definitely felt that the older customers were treated better and spoken to with more respect. Maybe they thought they would get a better tip or have more chance that they would return.
The next hotel we stayed in was in Sicily and in contrast to The Grand Riviera, we were treated so well and welcomed with champagne and fresh fruit on arrival. They made our honeymoon special! It's amazing how much we appreciate the small things.
There is no doubt that we would go back to Sorrento, however as far as this hotel goes, as I said before 'I Just Don't Know'!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Lilyb1972
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Lovely hotel in a great position in Sorrento for views and attractions. All you would expect in a 4* hotel with the exception food quality. Whilst breakfasts at hotel more than adequate the evening dinner on offer during our stay was a let down. The food lacked imagination and was uninspiring with menu items often not available even well before restaurant closure time. Waiting staff more intent on laying out tables for breakfast even whilst you were in the middle of your evening meal. It may be that this booking was towards the end of the season but this shouldn't be an excuse for dropping standards. This hotel needs to remember it is a 4* establishment and maintain the levels it previously achieved when it won awards from Thomson Holidays

1 Thank Jamb03
UK
Reviewed 18 October 2010

We've just spent a marvellous week at the Grand Hotel Riviera, Sorrento. To echo some of the previous comments made, I would also like to label this hotel with a string of superlatives. Excellent and spotlessly clean rooms. Excellent cuisine, with a good range of choices for evening meal, and a plentiful breakfast. Excellent staff, who were always friendly and helpful. Excellent location in a quiet area only 15 minutes walk from town and 10 minutes walk to the Achille Lauro bus pickup point. The hotel's "American Bar" and it's balcony is THE place to savour a pre-dinner or after dinner drinks with it's wonderful view over The Bay of Naples and Vesuvius.

Sorrento is a charming place with plenty on offer. Try the Teatro Tasso theatre for a night out. We took in Vesuvius and Pompeii on one day excursion and the Amalfi Drive on another. There are some more excursions we would like to do, but we will leave that to next time (Meaning, YES, we will return!)

As an aside and also another commendation, we booked through Thomson Premier (if anyone from Thomson's reads this) who handled us very well with the travel arrangements and the excursions.

One final comment, "OK it's not cheap, but conversley, not over expensive." Like most things in life, "You get what you pay for". So a big and warm "thankyou" to the hotel and all it's staff.

4 Thank unixman72000
YORKSHIRE
Reviewed 15 October 2010

we have stayed at this hotel twice and visited Sorrento over 20 times! We have already booked to return next year but I have to agree with the latest review, this hotel is fantastic, with fantastic views, fantastic staff, fantastically clean but the food this time was average. it got better as our week progressed and my requests for extra veg, no potatoes were met, but there seemed to be a lack of creativity from the chef. however, the staff are what make this hotel along with the views, the staff want to chat, want to make sure you enjoy your stay and make you feel special, which is why we have booked to go back. The hotel public areas are very good, maybe time for the corridors to the rooms and for the rooms to be updated. There is something special about this hotel and maybe this means you forgive or overlook some areas that on other holidays you would be critical about. The point about the air conditioning going off on 1 oct, it was very very warm on a night but the rule was air conditioning off so it didn't matter guests were warm.

2 Thank TRAVELLERYORK33
uk
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The location of this hotel is excellent, the views from the bar and dining area are fabulous but this comes at a cost. it is a good 15 minute walk to the centre of sorrento so if this bothers you you may wish to find a hotel nearer.
initial impressions were good. friendly and helpful staff, nice clean open and spacious reception. those fabulous views..
the staff were always helpful and gave us free maps of naples and helped us with train and ferry times when we planned to visit naples..
The room we found to be great for our needs., clean, comfortable and a BATH as well as a shower. i would definitley stretch to a sea view if you could, ours was a not so lovely view of the car park which could become noisy. The air conditioning was easily controllable but is switched off on the first of october which you may think is fine but the temperature was in the high 20's and a little uncomfortable at night. The room had the obligatory fridge and safe. .
the pool and decking area were great, clean with plenty of chairs and sunbeds.
the hotel is expensive and a bottle of wine with your meal will cost you a minimum of 20 euros, which brings me to the meals. The breakfast we found to be normal and fine. lots of taste catered for, fruit, cereal, continental. cake???.and prosecco, ( yes you can have prosecco for breakfast). we had read a lot about the evening meals on trip advisor and to be honest we were a little disappointed with what we got.
the menu was a little uninspiring with entries such as "cheese and egg" or " a selection of cheeses" under the main meals section. . no real mouth watering descriptions leaped out. (any good restaraunt knows this is where the experience begins)
The main meals are all served with the same two vegetables, regardless of what you order. so if its mashed potatoe and broccolli on the menu then thats what you will get..
does that really go with risotto?? or spaghetti
i ordered swordfish one evening and was given what looked like a flat fish finger with not even a lovely sauce.. Some of the meals were decidedly bland and tasteless. lacking and yearning for some herbs, garlic or flavour.
i ordered a salad hoping for something different than the salad bar buffet but was disappointed to get just a plate of the very same salad !! not even a dressing,.. how difficult is a salad dressing??
the waiter on one occasion told me the fish would be served with a fennel sauce, lovely i thought. he was wrong... it was a bland white sauce. no fennel, no flavour.
we have stayed in sorrento before (alpha) where the food was mentally (menu) and visually inspiring and of course very tasteful. so our expectations were high given the cost of this hotel. We felt there was a missed opportunity with some of these meals and some laziness on behalf of the chef.. Does the regular chef go on holiday late in the season ???.
there was nothing horrible about the food, it was just bland and nothing special.
it didnt spoil our holiday though and would recommend sorrento and this hotel (if you could go bed and breakfast).
while in sorrento. if you go to pompeii it is very easy to go on the train as is naples..
dont be afraid of naples, be wise, be careful.. be confident. we went on the train and got the ferry back and survived.
amalfi drive is as wonderful as people say but be aware. our organised trip stopped in amalfi and had lunch in ravello. what the guide didnt tell us was that they will take you to a restaraunt where a set menu lunch is 13 euro served by archetypal surly italian waiters. no choices.
he didnt even tell us where the main bit of ravello was so we could just have a coffee. my advice is to eat in amalfi or in ravello go down the hill from the restaraunt entrance to the main square.
Enjoy