“The best holiday EVER!”

Grand Hotel Riviera
Ranked #17 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Me and my family have stayed for 5 days and it has been wonderful!

The sun has shined and Sorrento is a marvelous place due to its scenery and its friendly people.

The hotel (Hotel Grand Riviera) is both beautiful and wonderful. With its location on the cliff with the poolarea and the beach 20 meters below the view is fantastic and the service is perfect.

Thanks to Gianni and his crew for making it a perfect holiday /506

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Riviera

Reviewed 30 May 2011

must be a 5 star hotel the venue was spectacular, we expected to find a fine hotel but we were surprised by the luxury the wide and luxury lobby, the suite with sea view, the breakfast, everything was beyond our expectations. we would come back again no doubt about it

Room Tip: Ask for a sew view room !! dont lose it !!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carolina1961_11
Reviewed 18 May 2011

This is a perfect hotel to relax at with marvelous view over the Naples Sea, private beach and nice dinners and personnel you will appreciate.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RivieraLund_Sweden
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I'm staying here with my friend and have nothing bad to say. We're both quite picky and have stayed at some spectacular hotels. This hotel rates as one of the highest.
The staff are courteous, helpful, and seem genuinely happy to help make your stay brilliant.
We've eaten in every night, and have loved the food (don't undertand why other guests have complained about it).
The "beach" area is fantastic, with exquisite views.
It's a calm, serene, peaceful destination, so if you're looking for complete relaxation, come here.
I think we'll definitely be back.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank JulieAMC70
Reviewed 10 December 2010

I've been meaning to write a review since we got back, however 'I just don't know' about this hotel! The view, the town itself and the variety of things to do were what was best about staying here. Don't get me wrong we had an amazing time, however it was the small things that were missing.
We were on our honeymoon and when I booked I asked for one of their best rooms. Our balcony looked over a roof. I asked to move and they said no. For the price we felt that the room was very basic, they could do with being done up a bit! I guess I wanted the hotel to go the extra mile to make it feel a bit special and I don't feel that they did!
The person in reception was always nice and friendly, and the pool guy was so very lovely and helpful. However there were 2 older men that lurked behind reception and they made me feel very uncomfortable. I would ask one of them a question and they would speak to each other in Italian and then laugh before answering my question in a sarcastic manner. When I paid, I paid these men and I paid the day before we left, they were not happy that I did this, however I explained that I wanted to get it out of the way so that check out would be quick the next day. I paid in cash and there was around €47 change, he walked away without giving me my change or a receipt, so I asked him for my change and he was not happy. He asked 'what if you have something from the mini bar, we will hold onto your change until tomorrow'. I asked him to write on my receipt that he owed me money and boy was he not happy!
We definitely felt that the older customers were treated better and spoken to with more respect. Maybe they thought they would get a better tip or have more chance that they would return.
The next hotel we stayed in was in Sicily and in contrast to The Grand Riviera, we were treated so well and welcomed with champagne and fresh fruit on arrival. They made our honeymoon special! It's amazing how much we appreciate the small things.
There is no doubt that we would go back to Sorrento, however as far as this hotel goes, as I said before 'I Just Don't Know'!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Lilyb1972
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Lovely hotel in a great position in Sorrento for views and attractions. All you would expect in a 4* hotel with the exception food quality. Whilst breakfasts at hotel more than adequate the evening dinner on offer during our stay was a let down. The food lacked imagination and was uninspiring with menu items often not available even well before restaurant closure time. Waiting staff more intent on laying out tables for breakfast even whilst you were in the middle of your evening meal. It may be that this booking was towards the end of the season but this shouldn't be an excuse for dropping standards. This hotel needs to remember it is a 4* establishment and maintain the levels it previously achieved when it won awards from Thomson Holidays

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamb03
Reviewed 18 October 2010

We've just spent a marvellous week at the Grand Hotel Riviera, Sorrento. To echo some of the previous comments made, I would also like to label this hotel with a string of superlatives. Excellent and spotlessly clean rooms. Excellent cuisine, with a good range of choices for evening meal, and a plentiful breakfast. Excellent staff, who were always friendly and helpful. Excellent location in a quiet area only 15 minutes walk from town and 10 minutes walk to the Achille Lauro bus pickup point. The hotel's "American Bar" and it's balcony is THE place to savour a pre-dinner or after dinner drinks with it's wonderful view over The Bay of Naples and Vesuvius.

Sorrento is a charming place with plenty on offer. Try the Teatro Tasso theatre for a night out. We took in Vesuvius and Pompeii on one day excursion and the Amalfi Drive on another. There are some more excursions we would like to do, but we will leave that to next time (Meaning, YES, we will return!)

As an aside and also another commendation, we booked through Thomson Premier (if anyone from Thomson's reads this) who handled us very well with the travel arrangements and the excursions.

One final comment, "OK it's not cheap, but conversley, not over expensive." Like most things in life, "You get what you pay for". So a big and warm "thankyou" to the hotel and all it's staff.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple