We chose to stay here as it was an option offered by Riviera Travel on a tour of Sorrento and Amalfi coast.
The hotel is a throwback to the 50's opulence of grand rooms, high ceilings and marble everywhere; now somewhat dated but none the worse for that. Excellent terrace balcony for evening drinks and wonderful view of the bay, Vesuvius and twinkling lights of Naples. The room we had was fine with large bathroom and sea view with balcony which was fantastic and contributed to great memories of this holiday.
However, there's a but!! We are not by any means gourmets or food snobs but thought the food was not very good. Don't think we were in a minority although one couple thought it was ok. We assumed that the tour operators drive down prices with the hotels and, as a consequence, the only way they can recoup some money is by cutting back on food.
Breakfast was acceptable with the usual buffet things. However, evening meals were barely acceptable. Limited selection of starters which included fruit juice, 2 types of pasta + ano. Main courses were somewhat flattered by their description and the portions were very small. The 'breast of chicken' was 1 very thin slice and the pork escalope likewise tiny. I thought that a 'folded pizza' (I assumed a Calzone a la Pizza Express) would be a safe bet but turned out to be three very small (buffet size) portions of pizza + veg. I ended up resorting to the 'always an option' omelette but this was only average and the choices limited and unimaginative (e.g. Potato or spring onion omelette). However, the sweet trolley was usually very good and the head waiters very pleasant and friendly.
One head bar man in the lounge was very good but the other was grumpy and the waiting staff a bit inexperienced. However, they were pleased to bring our drinks out onto the balcony accompanied by nibbles.
Another plus point is the lift down to their private quay and swimming pool and only regret that the demands of the tour meant we didn't take full advantage of this.
To summarise, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend it but with the caveat about the food. However, we did overhear another couple complaining vigorously about the standard of their room. If we were going to do it again, I think we would choose to eat out in Sorrento which is just round the corner. Again, for us, no point in staying in Sorrento without a commanding view of the bay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Europa Palace Grand Hotel is located in the heart of Sorrento, behind Lauro square and just 5 minutes walking from the main square of Sorrento: Tasso square. With a panoramic pool overlooking the Gulf of Naples and private beach access, the Europa Palace is an excellent location for banquets and wedding parties. Bar, a la carte restaurant and a snack bar by the swimming pool complete the hotel's offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Europa Palace Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Europa Palace Grand Sorrento
- Hotel Europa Palace Grand