“Excellent all-inclusive holiday”

Tui Sensimar Atlantic Palace
Ranked #19 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Myself and my 18 year old daughter went on our first package holiday to Sorrento booked through Thomas Cook.
We had a great week and the hotel was just right for us, the food lovely and plenty of it, and if going out on daytrips they provide a packed lunch.
The rooms are noisy, we heard loud chatter and snoring and other night time activities coming from either side of us, but once asleep I sleep through anything, but if you are easily woken it might be annoying.
The shuttle bus conveniently takes you into Sorrento, but it is only around a 15 min walk, we did it a couple of times in the day but I would not do it in the evening because the first part has no pavement and the driving is quite erratic!
Sorrento is ideally placed for visiting Pompeii, Vesuvius, Capri etc, and we can't thank our Thomas Cook rep enough for giving us the local knowledge to undertake these excursions ourselves rather than paying their extortionate prices!
My husband hasn't been to this part of the world and wants to visit Pompeii, so when we do I will have no hesitation in booking to return to the Atlantic Palace :)

Room Tip: Top front rooms for best view.
1  Thank Naomi M
There are newer reviews for Tui Sensimar Atlantic Palace

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel in September for 11 nights. Overall we had a nice holiday and we really enjoyed Sorrento and the surrounding area. We visited sites such as Herculaneum and Vesuvius and also local towns such as Amalfi and Ravello. We also visited Naples and I would recommend all of these visits.
The hotel is outside of Sorrento and we used the free shuttle bus several times. We found this service excellent and Pasquale the driver was really nice. You have to book but this was never an issue for us.
The staff were very friendly and always tried to help. We did have a problem with the safe and had to complain five times but this was changed eventually.
The staff in the restaurant tried very hard to make our stay enjoyable and were led by Pepe who controlled all things here. The food was acceptable but I have to say I have had better and more variety in other four star Italian hotels. Pepe always said ask for anything and suggested fried eggs and omelettes at breakfast but when we asked for poached eggs the answer was no. There was also a problem if you wanted black pepper as there appeared to be only one pepper mill. There were other little things that were not quite right and I know this can sound petty but would have made a difference to our experience,
As others have said the hotel rooms are dated and in need of refurbishment. The pool area is very small and certainly not big enough if the hotel is full. There is a sun terrace on the roof that we used but this could be improved and made more attractive for guests.
Overall we had a good holiday but feel there is room for improvement at this hotel. Would we go back, probably not.

Room Tip: Ask for front facing and high floor
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed at the hotel as a group of four from 27/09-04/10 2013 all inclusive. We arrived late about 10pm, checked in very quickly and were provided with a lovely buffet. The food and drinks throughout our whole stay were exemplary and the staff were friendly and extremely efficient. There was a great choice of food for vegetarians. The hotel is immaculately clean, although the décor may be slightly dated it adds to its character and charm and it is in no way shabby.
The hotel is located in a great spot just outside Sorrento and is more peaceful than the more centrally located hotels. The shuttle bus service runs regularly and is free, making access into Sorrento hassle free. The hotel benefits from panoramic views of Mount Vesuvius and the beautiful surrounding area. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Just returned from 10 nights in the atlantic palace hotel in sorrento, weather gorgeous while there, sorrento amazing, aswell as the surrounding areas. The hotel is very clean,but is in need of updating, ( i believe this to be happening during the winter months) All the staff are amazing, cannot think of one person who does not deserve praise, unless you take the bartender in the lounge who sometimes forgets to smile, but overall everyone was lovely. All the dining room staff are amazing and cannot do enough for you. I went with my husband who is one of the fussiest eaters you will ever find, he does not eat any Italian food at all, so the food was a problem for him, but the staff made him plain omelletes when asked and even brought him chips when asked. I loved the food, I went there expecting Italian cuisine and that is exactly what I got. My only gripe was the drink, don't get me wrong the wine was lovely, but we were all inclusive, and as such expected cheap local brands, what I did object to was the fact that they were saying that the drinks were international brands when they clearly were not. I drink courvoissier brandy all year and know the difference between a cheap brandy and a branded one, I even bought a bottle of courvoissier in sorrento to show a couple we had met the difference. I dont object to them giving me local drinks but do object to them trying to make out that the drinks are branded drinks, luckily we never had to pay for a drink but I would have been annoyed if I had. Anyway, sorrento, lovely city, near to all the tourist places I wanted to visit, like pompeii, Herculaneum, Vesuvious, Capri and the Amalfi coast, the hotel was a bit out of the way and walking into the city took about 20 mins and was along a very busy road with no pavements, there was a hotel bus, but the times were hit and miss. The first hotel room we were given was nice and clean but very noisy, right above the bar, room 125 we complained and were told that they were fully booked but that they would try to move us when they could. At the welcome meeting with the thomson rep I mentioned it to him and he spoke to the management aswell and we were then told we would be moved on the Monday, which gave us another week of peace and quiet. The second room we went to was on the 3rd floor further along the corridor and was lovely and quiet. It sounds like we are complaining but I would return to this hotel, not sure my husband would but only due to his fussy eating. Overall we had a lovely holiday and did everything we wanted to do, my only big problem was the mosquitos' who had a great time biting me,and these bites then got infected, although this has happened to me for 3 years on the run in different countries, so think I will not be going away in September again. Overall a lovely holiday, we did pay a lot for this holiday as Italy is so expensive, I would not want to pay more for the holiday even if the hotel is upgraded, as the location would remain poor.

Room Tip: Not rooms on the 1st floor above the bar, rooms 121 to 128, very noisy at night.
1  Thank Janet E
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My wife & I stayed there from the 16th to the 30th of October. Only a week since we were there & it seems life a lifetime ago :-(
Firstly please do not listen to those who complain about the food. It certainly ranks as one of, if not, the best all inclusive packages we have done. If you can't find something nice to eat on a daily basis then the problem is yours & not the hotel.
The rooms are basic but they serve their purpose & are kept very clean. We had regular sheet changes & fresh towels daily.
The shuttle bus is a great little touch if it is available when you need it. You don't always have to book the day before either. If Pasquale has room on the bus he will get you on. If it isn't available the walk in to Sorrento is nowhere near as bad as people make out. So long as you walk in single file & keep in to the side you are fine. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes & the views of the bay when you get near the bottom are to behold. My wife & I did it at least 6 times without any problem. If you aren't a great walker it may pay to arrange for the bus to get you back up the hill. Or get a blue local bus, they stop right outside the hotel & are cheap as chips.

The staff, and a special mention to Catello & Pepe, each & everyone of them from the front desk, the bar staff, waiters & housekeepers go out of their way to be friendly & do all they can to make sure your stay is a special one. If a business is only as good as it's staff, then the Palace is a really special business to have.

The one very small complaint or remark I will make is. We paid the extra for a sea view room. We were put on the second floor & the only sea view you get is the glimpse through the forest in front of the hotel. The only real sea view rooms are those on the 3rd & 4th floors. I did ask to be moved if a room higher up became available but nothing ever came of it.

As for the trips, we did quite a few. We did the Amalfi drive select. It was a great day out,but you have to question if the price set by Thomson/First choice is value for money. IF I was doing it again I would go for one of the cheaper options. We also did Capri & Anna Capri. This was another excellent day out & good value for money. The final one was Pompeii & Herculaneum if you're interested in ancient history then this is a must. You get to see a good portion of Herculaneum and about 25% of Pompeii but by the end of the day it is enough.

The real measure of a holiday is whether you would go back. I can safely say I wouldn't hesitate returning to the Atlantic palace. My only hope is they don't go too far with the proposed modifications & take away the wonderful simplistic character of the hotel.

If anyone does have a any questions please feel free to drop me a line.

Room Tip: Remember to take some ear plugs as it is quite a noisy hotel in the morning.
2  Thank Leedsbarmy
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed here for a week with Riviera Travel, and really couldn't fault it. The room was spacious and very comfortable, fully opening window (unusually), lovely bathroom, and a complimentary bottle of bubbly was waiting for us on arrival. The meals were delicious and very plentiful, and the waiters attentive and entertaining. The open-air pool was well furnished with loungers, and the outdoors drinks waiter was very helpful. Our room was in the extension, which thankfully meant we completely missed the drunken wedding party in the main block one night! The hotel is about a mile to the west of the town, but the walk is pleasant enough as long as you're careful of the traffic.

Room Tip: The views are good whether at the front with a view of Vesuvius, or at the back overlooking the vine...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2013

A lovely hotel, a little out of Sorrento but the shuttle bus made it easily accessible - you could also do a walk from the hotel on a footpath (do not attempt the road as it is windy & busy) with amazing views. When we arrived we experienced the quickest & most efficient check in ever, ditto when we checked out. The rooms although a little dated (hotel is being refurbished this winter) were spotlessly clean, the beds were comfortable & the air conditioning actually worked!
The food was of a very high standard, & a wide variety, with waiter service at lunch & dinner. Drinks were fine although the red wine was not that great so we bought our own at dinner, but the white & Spumante were quite acceptable.
The pool was a little small but given the geography of the Sorrento area space is limited anyway, understand that there is going to be a pool or a whirlpool on the roof of the hotel, which would be ideal for adults, leaving the main pool for families & children. You can also use the beach at the sister hotel, the shuttle bus takes you there, where you can swim in the sea or the large pool, it made a nice change from sitting round the pool, & is very quiet.
Staff were excellent - it would be really hard to single out one person in particular, they were friendly, interested in you, & nothing was too much trouble.
Standards were far higher than a lot of other 4 & 5 star hotels we have stayed in, & as it is not too large you get the personal touches often lacking in other establishments.
This hotel really is a hidden gem & we would thoroughly recommend it & go back there.

1  Thank Thecyprus2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sorrento
Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro
Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro ...
#1 of 12 in Piano di Sorrento
#27 of 100 in Sorrento
Grand Hotel President
Grand Hotel President
#20 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Tui Sensimar Atlantic Palace? Share your experiences!