“Amazing Atlantic”

Tui Sensimar Atlantic Palace
Ranked #20 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Had a fantastic week. Hotel very good rooms cleaned everyday with fresh towels. Our room was on the second floor at the back of the hotel and although you could hear some noise it wasn't a problem. Food was outstanding with plenty of choice and the staff couldn't do enough for you. Although a bit of a walk into Sorrento the hotel runs a courtesy shuttle bus which was very good. Easy enough to do all trips you want either with the rep or organising yourself we done both. Would recommend this hotel as service was excellent.

2  Thank newman176

Reviewed 9 October 2013

A great week. And it was. We were well pleased with all aspects of the hotel, but the restaurant staff deserve a special mention. For various reasons we were late arriving, after 10 pm, and we though we might get a sandwich. They had a cold buffet with a couple of hot options waiting for us. Lunches are served on the terrace, and weather permitting you can have dinner there too. Lunch comprised a great selection of antipaste and salad items, and they have a barbecue and a pizza oven as well. Breakfast and lunch are self service, but dinner is table service for the starter and main. The food was benissimo! How many all inclusive places have you seen with stuffed quail on the menu?

Our room was on the first floor and close to the door leading onto the pool area, which was great. We had no problem getting sunbeds, but it might be different in the height of the season. There's a courtesy bus to take you into sorrento, which was very dependable. Sorrento itself is lovely. You can do the Amalfi coast trip on public transport, but when we were there the queues were horrendous, and the busses don't have air con.

Overall, great holiday and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor to be near the pool, and at the rear to avoid traffic noise (The hot...
1  Thank dismondguy
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Atlantic Palace.

The transfer from the Airport to the Hotel can vary at different times of the day. Expect anywhere between 45 mins and 2 hours

Thanks to Thomas Cook, we had a five hour delay flying out, which meant we got to the Hotel around 1.30am.

The Hotel had laid on a cold plated meal which was a welcome surprise.

The reception staff at the hotel are helpful.

Our room was on the third floor at the rear of the Hotel. We had a side sea view. The sun was on the balcony from around 7am to 3pm. The bedrooms had two single beds pushed together, large double wardrobes with a safe inside and a dressing table with a TV on top. There was a small fridge in the left of the dressing table, which didn't work. The french doors opened to a balcony area and had a metal table and 2 plastic chairs.

The bathroom had a shower over the bath. There was a hairdryer, which although worked the nozzle was broken The water pressure in the shower was great, the water temperature was stable The beds are hard, but that didn’t bother either of us. We slept very well. There was air con in the room, but this didn't work.

The safe in the room is free to use.

The maid service was excellent. Towels changed everyday and bed linen changed once in a week and maid service 7 times a week.

There was 1 pool to choose from which had a jacuzzi built in. Again the jacuzzi was not working. The pool was always cleaned regularly, but is in need of a serious refurb. No loose or broken tiles that we could see.

We had the all inclusive option. Breakfast was buffet style, the usual cereals hot and cold mix. Lunch was also buffet style on the patio at the rear of the Hotel. Fresh pizza and a BBQ running as well as a plentiful supply of salads. Evening meals were all waiter service off a set menu, with the exception of a Gala meal on the patio are on a Wednesday, which was basically a buffet. The set menu meals were always a little bland for our tastes. But, like the saying goes, you can't please everyone all the time! Very little in the way of choice of food for the kids though, but to be fair there wasn't any kids at the Hotel throughout our stay.

Surprisingly there were no bananas or olives offered at any of the meal times.

The Hotel has 4 floors. There are only 4 rooms on the 4th floor with sea views which are charged at a premium.So if you are asking for a room go for a 3rd floor room and you are more likely to get it.

Free WI FI was available in the bar and reception area.

A free courtesy bus regularly runs from the Hotel to Sorrento town, but make sure you book in advance.

You can walk into Sorrento from the Hotel, but the first section has no pavement and the road is quite narrow and twisty, so I would say at your own risk, especially the way the Italians drive and ride!

Beware the mosquito's! My wife and I were both bitten quite badly as were a lot of people at the Hotel. We reckoned the worst place for the little blighters was the patio area where you have lunch and your Gala dinner. You have been warned!

Overall, we would say the Hotel is need of a serious refurb. Looks very tired in a lot of places. However, we did find out that the Hotel is getting the much needed refurb, work starting November 2013. Whether this will effect prices and whether it will still be an AI Hotel, time will tell.

We would want to give the Hotel 3½ stars because of the need of a serious refurb. So we believe 3 is approriate (Don't forget this review is about the Hotel and NOT Sorrento).

Email address for the hotel - ilaria@atlanticpalacehotel.com

Room Tip: Only four 4th floor rooms, so unless you pay the premium and are lucky enough to get one, I would ad...
6  Thank The-Docs-Hols
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Myself and my 18 year old daughter went on our first package holiday to Sorrento booked through Thomas Cook.
We had a great week and the hotel was just right for us, the food lovely and plenty of it, and if going out on daytrips they provide a packed lunch.
The rooms are noisy, we heard loud chatter and snoring and other night time activities coming from either side of us, but once asleep I sleep through anything, but if you are easily woken it might be annoying.
The shuttle bus conveniently takes you into Sorrento, but it is only around a 15 min walk, we did it a couple of times in the day but I would not do it in the evening because the first part has no pavement and the driving is quite erratic!
Sorrento is ideally placed for visiting Pompeii, Vesuvius, Capri etc, and we can't thank our Thomas Cook rep enough for giving us the local knowledge to undertake these excursions ourselves rather than paying their extortionate prices!
My husband hasn't been to this part of the world and wants to visit Pompeii, so when we do I will have no hesitation in booking to return to the Atlantic Palace :)

Room Tip: Top front rooms for best view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Naomi M
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel in September for 11 nights. Overall we had a nice holiday and we really enjoyed Sorrento and the surrounding area. We visited sites such as Herculaneum and Vesuvius and also local towns such as Amalfi and Ravello. We also visited Naples and I would recommend all of these visits.
The hotel is outside of Sorrento and we used the free shuttle bus several times. We found this service excellent and Pasquale the driver was really nice. You have to book but this was never an issue for us.
The staff were very friendly and always tried to help. We did have a problem with the safe and had to complain five times but this was changed eventually.
The staff in the restaurant tried very hard to make our stay enjoyable and were led by Pepe who controlled all things here. The food was acceptable but I have to say I have had better and more variety in other four star Italian hotels. Pepe always said ask for anything and suggested fried eggs and omelettes at breakfast but when we asked for poached eggs the answer was no. There was also a problem if you wanted black pepper as there appeared to be only one pepper mill. There were other little things that were not quite right and I know this can sound petty but would have made a difference to our experience,
As others have said the hotel rooms are dated and in need of refurbishment. The pool area is very small and certainly not big enough if the hotel is full. There is a sun terrace on the roof that we used but this could be improved and made more attractive for guests.
Overall we had a good holiday but feel there is room for improvement at this hotel. Would we go back, probably not.

Room Tip: Ask for front facing and high floor
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed at the hotel as a group of four from 27/09-04/10 2013 all inclusive. We arrived late about 10pm, checked in very quickly and were provided with a lovely buffet. The food and drinks throughout our whole stay were exemplary and the staff were friendly and extremely efficient. There was a great choice of food for vegetarians. The hotel is immaculately clean, although the décor may be slightly dated it adds to its character and charm and it is in no way shabby.
The hotel is located in a great spot just outside Sorrento and is more peaceful than the more centrally located hotels. The shuttle bus service runs regularly and is free, making access into Sorrento hassle free. The hotel benefits from panoramic views of Mount Vesuvius and the beautiful surrounding area. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Just returned from 10 nights in the atlantic palace hotel in sorrento, weather gorgeous while there, sorrento amazing, aswell as the surrounding areas. The hotel is very clean,but is in need of updating, ( i believe this to be happening during the winter months) All the staff are amazing, cannot think of one person who does not deserve praise, unless you take the bartender in the lounge who sometimes forgets to smile, but overall everyone was lovely. All the dining room staff are amazing and cannot do enough for you. I went with my husband who is one of the fussiest eaters you will ever find, he does not eat any Italian food at all, so the food was a problem for him, but the staff made him plain omelletes when asked and even brought him chips when asked. I loved the food, I went there expecting Italian cuisine and that is exactly what I got. My only gripe was the drink, don't get me wrong the wine was lovely, but we were all inclusive, and as such expected cheap local brands, what I did object to was the fact that they were saying that the drinks were international brands when they clearly were not. I drink courvoissier brandy all year and know the difference between a cheap brandy and a branded one, I even bought a bottle of courvoissier in sorrento to show a couple we had met the difference. I dont object to them giving me local drinks but do object to them trying to make out that the drinks are branded drinks, luckily we never had to pay for a drink but I would have been annoyed if I had. Anyway, sorrento, lovely city, near to all the tourist places I wanted to visit, like pompeii, Herculaneum, Vesuvious, Capri and the Amalfi coast, the hotel was a bit out of the way and walking into the city took about 20 mins and was along a very busy road with no pavements, there was a hotel bus, but the times were hit and miss. The first hotel room we were given was nice and clean but very noisy, right above the bar, room 125 we complained and were told that they were fully booked but that they would try to move us when they could. At the welcome meeting with the thomson rep I mentioned it to him and he spoke to the management aswell and we were then told we would be moved on the Monday, which gave us another week of peace and quiet. The second room we went to was on the 3rd floor further along the corridor and was lovely and quiet. It sounds like we are complaining but I would return to this hotel, not sure my husband would but only due to his fussy eating. Overall we had a lovely holiday and did everything we wanted to do, my only big problem was the mosquitos' who had a great time biting me,and these bites then got infected, although this has happened to me for 3 years on the run in different countries, so think I will not be going away in September again. Overall a lovely holiday, we did pay a lot for this holiday as Italy is so expensive, I would not want to pay more for the holiday even if the hotel is upgraded, as the location would remain poor.

Room Tip: Not rooms on the 1st floor above the bar, rooms 121 to 128, very noisy at night.
1  Thank Janet E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sorrento
Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro
Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro ...
#1 of 12 in Piano di Sorrento
#26 of 100 in Sorrento
Grand Hotel President
Grand Hotel President
#18 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Tui Sensimar Atlantic Palace? Share your experiences!