“Perfect for groups - good food & well looked after”

Tui Sensimar Atlantic Palace
Ranked #19 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 15 July 2009

A super hotel for groups. I find it hard to beleive that people have written other comments on this website. They must have stayed in a different hotel!!! The hotel is clean and well maintained. The food was really very good, breakfast had a selection and dinner was 3 course and most enjoyable. There was a piano bar each evening and the hotel looks out onto the Sorrento bay. You can walk into town which we did, which was about 20 mins downhill but the hotel do have a courtesy shuttle bus. Sorrento was fab - enough for everyone to do and see in a few days. I thoroughly recommend this and our group had a great time.

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank MrStours
Write a ReviewReviews (1,428)

Reviewed 29 May 2009

Please try this hotel for yourself. After looking at some of the reviews on the internet I di d not really want to go. The reviews were very mixed. The hotel was great. The Manager and the staff could not do enough for you. It is a little way out of town, but there is a courtesy bus on throughout the day untill late in the evening. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2009

We stayed for approx one week on a half board basis.
Breakfast roll and bacon was the best meal of the day. There was no fruit e.g prunes which is usually available in every hotel and only skimmed milk.
Evening meal was very basic and there was nothing that I would recommend on the menu. Coffee was the blackest I have ever seen and never got whiter even with the addition of milk. The room was OK and the staff very friendly. It is a long way from town and although could be walked, there is no pavement for some considerable distance. Good point is the hotel provides an economic minbus but the last run home is at 11 PM. Pool and surrounding area were OK but not exceptional.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2009

Me and my partner stayed at the Grand Hotel Atlantic Palce in August of 2006. We booked via First Choice and only done that due to the 5 out of 5 star rating that they gave the food. What a joke!!!

Well when we arrived at around 10pm the hotel had set plates of cold meat and pizza out for the late arrivals. Not so bad you think - but I'm a veggie and could only eat one very small piece of pizza. My partner who does eat meat found that even with that advantage the food was not to be tackled - so we settled for bed in the hope that breakfast would be better.

Now I'm not a negitive person but this is difficult to dress up so I'll go as far as saying the breakfast was ok. Yet more cold meat, scrambled eggs, toast, slices of plastic cheese and cakes so full of booze that if you were to eat more than one slice you'd be back in bed within 10 minutes to sleep it off!! But having said that if you choose wisley yopu can get by just fine. The waiters are typical Italians - very keen on starting at the women and girls in their own unique way...

That night we went out for dinner even though we'd paid for half board as we wanted to see the area at night. However, we did eat eveing meal there twice. Both times we both had upset stomaches. Complete waste of money booking half baord at this hotel - be warned!

The hotel itself was nice enough. Maria, our maid, came every day and you couldn't fault the cleanlieness of the room and facilities. Must take the time to give a big warm thanks to Antonio the night receptionist who was a fantastic man - so friendly and helpfull! When we return to Sorrento this year (not the Grand atlantic Palace) we'll definately take the bus to see him!

Ok - my only other grumble is the roads leading in and out. Not the hotel's fault tho - but a pearlious experience by anyone's measure. Whilst the distance in and out of town is not an issue the roads made this option a big no-no. Tried on a few occassions but if you couple the narrowness of the two lane road with the lack of pavements and add to that the unbelieveable speed of most drivers then you'll understand why a bus/taxi is a must. However be warned the taxis are a complete rip off so we only made that mistake twice!

Ofcourse I'd recommend this area - even the hotel. If you only book the B&B option it might just be worth it! However, if you are like me and my fiance and are quite active and want to see your sorrourdings then you may want to re-think this hotel as its position makes having the freedom of coming and going as you please (outwith the bus timetables) impossible!

Go to Sorrento - enjoy the food and the amazing views but please research your hotel and make sure that the the ratings are genuine!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2009

There is no way on earth that this hotel is 4 stars, i don't understand how they got that rating. it is at most a 2 stars. Very minimal service and the rooms are very basics. The plumbing needs help and makes loud and strange noises every time one takes a shower. The food was pretty bad for the first half of the week and it improved later...I don't know why. Breakfast maintained at a very poor level throughout the whole week; I don't know where the other people saw sausages, bacon and yogurt because what we got was only some stale cake and unevenly defrosted pastry. "Coffee" was an insult to the region where you normally get the best coffee in the entire country, it was some weird brown potion, and "milk" was definitely not milk but some sort of other potion made with chemicals, horrible. we had to skip the hotel breakfast every day and go to a cafe in sorrento in order to get something decent.
We reserved this hotel with Giglio Travels, and we'll never do it again. A terrible experience and, just to give a clear message, I always write positive comment or reviews, but I had to warn people of this scam.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Italianexplorer
Reviewed 15 September 2008

Just returned from a truly great holiday at the Atlantic Palace! Great service, great decor and above all - the best view in Italy!! Having read reviews regarding the location of the hotel and the dangerous road we were very pleased to find how easy it is to get into Sorrento - the bus stop is the hotel entrance from the road! (1euro10 each way every 15 mins - no probs!) The waiting staff were superb - allowing this traveller to practise some pretty appalling Italian! My only gripe is the lack of variety in vegetarian food - 6 of 7 nights it was omelette - once it was a ham omelette! They were very good though - but a change would have been nice. My wife was very pleased with the rest of the menu however, it being quite inventive some nights. What I lacked in variety was more than made up by the anti pasta - so much variety and it was a change to try som of the dishes cold - not too sure about cold chips though! The bar, which some reviewers have said was expensive, was no more so than bars in town. Overall a great place to stay and I would recommend it to anybody!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2008

Having read the reviews for this hotel I was a little unsure about staying there. Well ! don't believe all that you read. In my opinion, for the price we paid, it was great. Amazingly, I paid almost 33% of my holiday cost to stay 1 night in a UK hotel before departure and that was something to complain about.
My room was comfortable! It was not the greatest I have ever stayed in, but then again, it did not cost me a fortune. The room was very clean, bed-linen changed daily, towels changed daily and everything worked. The staff were great. I did hear people moaning about Roberto the maitre but he was doing the job he is paid to do and controlling the dining room so as to ensure an efficient service. Was he successful? He was! Top marks Roberto! The food was great..simply great. The choice for breakfast was superb with fruit, cereals, croissants, brioche, preserves, meats. cheeses, rolls, bacon, egg, sausage...the sort of breakfast you pay £12.00 per day for in UK hotel. The evening meals were terific for the price of the holiday, great choice and selection. The antipasta buffet was wonderful. I am amazed how someone has made comments about the cold potatoes, cold carrots on the buffet. My word! Have they no idea that an antipasta buffet is supposed to be COLD! Thankfully I did not see egg and chips on the menu which may have suited some of the people who have commented about this hotel. really folks! for the price you pay it is impossible to fault!! I will be back to the Atlantic Place when I next visit Sorrento. Thank you to all the staff and Well Done!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank antibrit
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sorrento
Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro
Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro ...
#1 of 12 in Piano di Sorrento
Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria
Grand Hotel Capodimonte
Grand Hotel Capodimonte
#26 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Tui Sensimar Atlantic Palace? Share your experiences!