“good location, but very dated interior and little service”
Review of Cesare Augusto

Cesare Augusto
Ranked #47 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Sorrento, Italy
“good location, but very dated interior and little service”
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Not only was this hotel very dated, but it was VERY noisy....we had to sleep with our windows open since the ac was not functioning and could not sleep for the traffic noise. I did enjoy the convience, but would never recommend this properity to a traveler.

Room Tip: Higher floors might be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank JoannaH319

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Hungarian first
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 27 October 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel as part of a group tour in Italy. It was centrally located near the downtown shopping district and numerous restaurants and the port. The a/c worked and this hotel had a decent shower curtain. There were numerous tour groups using the hotel. Breakfast and dinner was provided in a very large room. The staff maintained the quantity of food. On our last day, the eggs had a very bad stinking smell. Several members of our group brought this to the attention of staff and they said that they would do something about it. They didn't do anymore than just sniff and then remove our particular plates.There were numerous groups of older Italians staying at the hotel along with many Americans.

The a/c worked well.

I particularly enjoyed going to the roof to see the sunrise or sunset and Mount Vesuvio.

Staff were good with the exception of one really grumpy desk clerk who worked during the day shift.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank photoguy66degrees
West Hollywood, California, United States
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I was reading some of the other reviews that said this place was great, but unfortunately we did not have the same experience. I stayed here with my boyfriend and his parents were just down the hall and none of us enjoyed our stay. We even thought about changing hotels when we first arrived.

The dated lobby wreaked of smoke and looked as if it was a retirement home with all of the old folks staying there. We're in our early 30s and didn't see anyone in the hotel under the age of 75. Maybe that's why the other reviews were better since the old and dated hotel brought back memories from the 1960s.

The men at the front desk were not overly friendly nor did they offer to help. They weren't mean, but just not warm or friendly. When my boyfriend's dad went to front desk to ask for new TV remote batteries, they just told him no. Seriously. Above the front desk hung faded awards from 1986 and 1990. I'm shocked they were even awarded then as this hotel hasn't been updated since it opened. The light fixtures and drapes were straight out of my grandma's garage sale. The halls were painted a faded salmon color and the walls were cracked. Tiny little, again faded, pictures dotted the hallways. My favorite though, was all of the laminated signs plastered EVERYWHERE saying things that you could or couldn't do. "Shower before entering the pool", "Don't take the bed linens as the maids are held responsible for them if they're missing", etc.

We were excited for the rooftop pool, but then we got there. The "shower" was a tiled hole in the ground at the bottom of the stairs to the pool - a huge tripping hazard by the way - and it was moldy and didn't look like it had been cleaned since that 1986 award. The chairs were faded and looked old as well. As we were walking by the 5 people snacking, the food looked like the people that were eating it - old and wilted.

Our room was large and had a desk and little table and chair. The balcony was great and spacious, but the sound of the millions of Vespas going by at night was hilarious and repetitive. The bathroom smelled heavily of urine that even my body spray couldn't cover up. I even I asked the maid to mop the floor really good when she cleaned our room (she was very very nice and accommodating), but that didn't even help the smell. My guys is that it was on the walls and the sides of the toilet or just ingrained in the bathroom tile. The caulking of the tub was torn away and there was a vent above the shower that opened onto the adjoining room - so if you want to hear your neighbors taking a poop while you shower, you'll definitely want to stay here. The soap was cheap as were ALL of the amenities. Another reviewer described the "ketchup-style" packets of shampoo perfectly. We didn't use any of them but the soap. With all of the lovely leom soap being sold everywhere, it would have been great to have that in our rooms. The bed was hard and there was just the sheet and the thin comforter. The tile floor was cracked as well. The TV was downright laughable. The screen was the size of a basketball and was not a newer flatscreen. The Karate Kid would have been stoked to have that TV in his bedroom in Reseda to play Atari though. The reception was shotty and even adjusting the bunny ear antennae didn't help. The room was ok overall, so if there was no urine smell or open vent in the bathroom and maybe a tad nicer amenities, it would have been better.

Breakfast. Maybe we were spolied at the last hotel we stayed at in Rome, but this was not good. The fruit was all canned and dumped into a silver dish. It had no color and was limp. The juice was dispensed from an old machine. Kinda gross when you think about it and see that the decals are rubbing off. I didn't go near the coffee as my boyfriend and parents said they had to doctor it up so much and it was still terrible. Is it too hard to cut up some fesh fruit and put on a fresh pot of coffee?

The location was wonderful though and very convenient to walk to the town center. The garden was also nice. I'm sorry to write such a bad review, but just did not experience the same thing as the other reviewers. We have only been in Italy 6 days (3 nights in Sorrento) and my boyfriend's mom was ready to go home after our terrible stay. As someone in my 30s, I wouldn't want someone to stay here that is our age or on their honeymoon. If you're 75+, you might enjoy the nostalgic grandeur that once was while knitting in the lobby with the other guests and reminiscing about the good ol' days.

Room Tip: Choose a room not overlooking the street to avoid Vespa scooter noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Cat H
Limerick
Reviewed 18 October 2012

WOW! This hotel is fantastic! All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The moment I walked into this hotel it felt welcoming. The hotel was built sometime around 1965 and it is easy to see that in its heyday it must have been regarded as one of the top hotels in Sorrento and in my opinion it still is. Some of the reviews written here state that this hotel hasn’t been updated since it was built and although this may be true, it’s the style and decor that gives this wonderful hotel its character. It has a subdued elegance that is just not found in more modern hotels.
The rooms are very spacious and kept very clean. The bathrooms are of average size and again kept spotlessly clean and well stocked with toiletries, in fact housekeeping throughout this hotel is top class. All the rooms have a very large balcony with lovely tiled floors; our balcony looked towards the railway station with a fantastic view of the mountains and overlooking the gardens. The hotel is situated on a main road and although this is a busy route the traffic noise did not bother myself or the rest of my party at all, in fact we were able to have the window open every night.
Breakfast was served in the restaurant, a large bright and very clean room. The breakfast itself is a buffet style with a good choice of bread, pastries, cheese, ham, toast, eggs and sausage etc. I think anyone would find it hard not to be happy with the choice. However, the coffee and tea is dispensed from a machine, which always has a queue at it and the hot water it delivers is on the cool side, But if you ask any of the waiters for a pot of boiling water they will gladly get you one, all the waiters I had contact with were more than willing to help and did so in a very friendly manner. The hotel has a lot of tours staying there so you can expect the breakfast to be busy every day.
On the roof of the Grand Hotel Cesare Augusto you will find the swimming pool and snack bar as well some fantastic views. I did not experience the swimming pool, I can’t swim and I’m not particularly interested in sunbathing, but it did look clean and tidy and there are plenty of sun loungers and chairs to relax on and top up the tan. As for the snack bar, the food is very nice and the waiters are great.
When I return to Sorrento the Grand Hotel Cesare Augusto is the only place I want to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank nollymac2003
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Rooms are good a little noisy if someone with Stilleto's is above but other wise fine
Food is really good Lunch Menu most things 5 Euros evening meal set menu with 4 choices for each of 3 courses 25 euros and all delivred with proper silver service. Was full of American tourist whilst we were there but that cn be a good thing as they demand high standards

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 5th floor to avoid anyone being above.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank DoubtingThomas1
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel during our two nights in Sorrento.. The hotel is located within easy walking distance to the main square. The hotel itself is very nice with a spacious lobbby. The rooms are very large as is the bathroom. Our room had a nice balcony and was situated at the back of the hotel overlooking the hotel gardens. The dining room is also very nice. We had breakfast there each morning and a very good dinner one evening. Every staff member here was very helpful and courteous and made sure the each guest was taken care of. Definitely a hotel woth coming back to.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank PGELONG
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Ideal location for visiting Sorrento. Five minutes from the main square and all the lovely little alleyways and back streets. On the same road as the train station, just a few minutes walk to that. The room was very spacious and clean. The beds were extra comfortable, which was great as I don't usually sleep well away from my own bed! The roof terrace offers fantastic views, lovely snack bar and small swimming pool. Lots of sunbeds and towels provided every day, presumably to stop people using the ones from the room. The buffet breakfast was fine, its difficult to vary breakfast much! The evening meals made you feel you were out at an a la carte restaurant! Choice of 4 starters and 4 main courses, help yourself dessert. The soup was amazing, best we have ever tasted. Risotto was fantastic too. The staff were very smartly dressed, extremely efficient and very friendly. We chose the hotel on spec, looking for a fairly central location and couldn't have been more pleased with it. Going back to Sorrento in 2014 for a family wedding and will definitely go back to this hotel. A couple sitting near us were paying their 14th annual visit to the hotel, what more can you say?

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden are quieter, but do not get the sun on the balcony till late.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple