“Definitely not a 4 star”
Review of Cesare Augusto

Cesare Augusto
Ranked #50 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
London
“Definitely not a 4 star”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel on a package tour with Riveria Travel. In Room 510 - extremely noisy from the traffic below. Did request a room overlooking the bay and Vesuvius and asked to be moved on arrival but was told there were no other rooms apart from one which was further down the corridor with an even a worse view of the street. I am led to understand that 'the rooms with a view' are for the Americans (there were a lot of them there). Room 510 was very clean and there was plenty of room. There were no coffee or tea making facilities in the room which is disappointing as you can find these even at a Travelodge. There is a fridge but obviously nothing in it but handy for your own cold drinks. Water can be purchased from the machine in the corridor for 1 Euro. Breakfast is okay, the usual cold cuts, toast, cakes etc with scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages from the hot tray. Coffee from the machine is not great however the waiter will bring you hot water in a pot to make your own (there is decaffeinated coffee in sachets). We were on half board but only ate in the Restaurant twice for dinner. Evening meals are not great but are okay for emergencies. We were too tired on the two occasions to eat out. The roof terrace has nice views but the pool is tiny. Genarro (our bar waiter - sorry about the spelling) was fantastic and had our drinks ready every evening before going out. Staff are all very nice. We ate at The Red Lion (le Lion Rossa), Dolfo (which is further out but the restaurant run a free pick up and drop off bus - brilliant), Trattoria Da Gigino, La Laterna, La Bascilia, Each restaurant better than the previous. Genarraro will direct you on how to get to them. If you go to Ravello and want lunch can highly recommend Salvatore - amazing views and food. Could have stayed there all day.

The Riveria tour was excellent and we were well looked after by the very knowledgable and funny Adrian. Thanks for a great time Adrian. My only other disappointment (apart from the hotel) was Naples, would never wish to visit again. Dirty, noisy and crowded.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Hungarian first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We have been to Sorrento twice and both times stayed in the Cesare Augusto, as my wife has trouble walking far ,it is really close to the centre with all fine eating and drinking places within a 5 minute walk, the service at breakfast and dinner and the food is second to none, there is a pool on the top of the hotel and if you want something to eat and drink any time of the day it is no problem for the bar staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a week at the Cesare Augusto and we were not disappointed. From check in the staff were courteous, efficient and helpful.

Our room was on the 3rd floor and although it could do with a revamp it was still very comfortable.

We were on half board and the food was lovely. Breakfast was typical continental fare with plenty of choice. The evening meal was good too. Plenty of choice again and variety each evening. The portions are quite large though. The waiting staff are wonderful and a credit to the hotel. Our waiter Nichola was always very attentive and never too busy to help.

The hotel's location is ideal if you are looking to go out on day trips. It is 5 minutes from the train station. And it's a short walk to the Piazza Tasso in the centre of Sorrento.

Overall, we found it a great value hotel which we would gladly stay in again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Gemma H
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I booked this hotel hoping that it would be decent, primarily because it was affordable and had a pool. When we arrived our first opinion was that it looked outdated, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad hotel. However, when we got into the room (#424) my husband, 9 year old son and I were disappointed by how run down and dingy it looked. We used the bathroom, and anytime the toilet was flushed, or we ran water in the sink to wash our hands, a weird gurgling sound came emanating from the tub. However, we thought - this is only for two nights, so we'll make the best of it, and off to lunch we went. Before walking out of the hotel, I had to run back upstairs to the room to grab our guide book, and it was smelling like rotten eggs, as if the plumbing had run dry or something.

As soon as we returned from lunch, my son was hot and wanted to swim. We went up to the pool and were grossed out by how dingy the whole pool/rooftop deck are was. My son didn't even want to stay up there and he's usually the type that wants to swim all day and has to be physically hauled out of the water..

We went back down to the room, got him changed, and then I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth. I was looking around when I noticed a bunch of hairs all around the bidet and beneath the stool sitting beside it. Because of that, and how dingy the rest of the hotel floor looked, I got out my "Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Wipes" (I had brought them to clean sinks out when we needed to hand wash some laundry in hotel sinks during our three week tour of Italy), and I started wiping at the floor. The wipes came up dirty and with hair in the bathroom and main floor of the room.

We called to complain, and a porter came up who didn't speak English. The porter then put me on the phone with another person who did speak English, and it was decided that my family would leave the hotel and explore Sorrento a little more while the room was cleaned.

When we arrived, to my dismay, it wasn't any better. I don't know how you "clean" a room and leave a hair on the sink, the bathroom wall, and the tub. Unbelievable.

My husband went down to talk to the manager, and returned to tell me that we couldn't leave, and could only get another room in the hotel. I went down to speak to the manager, and it was decided that we would stay IF, and only if, the other room was cleaner.

The manager and I returned to our room (424), I grabbed my "Scrubbing Bubbles" wipes, my husband and son, then we all went down to room 324. The manager opened the door, I went in, got on my hands and knees with a wipe, took a couple of passes across the floor, and looked. It came up covered with dirt and hairs. I showed it to the manager, who initially tried to play if off and acted offended, but finally (and we're very grateful) allowed us to leave the hotel.

To that manager: I know you're very busy, and often have a full hotel, but maybe that means you need to hire more cleaning staff so that they can do a proper cleaning on every room. Reserve at this hotel only if you bring "Scrubbing Bubbles" wipes to clean the room when you arrive!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank coricop
Colne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We booked this hotel as part of our Riviera package and had read lots of wonderful things about it on TripAdvisor. The check-in was smooth and efficient and Christina made us feel immediately welcome. We went to our very spacious room on the 5th floor, overlooking the Bay of Naples with Vesuvius in the distance - wonderful. The bathroom was well appointed, very clean and had all the necessary equipment - including a hairdryer (a must for Mrs OldColner). The air conditioning was excellent and it was good to have a FREE safe for our use.

The restaurant served a good variety of hot and cold food. The breakfast had a wide selection of continental cuisine with a limited, but adequate amount of 'English' food and of course, an endless supply of toast. The coffee was strong, hot and served with hot milk,by the waiter. The evening meals were a delight - a good variety of starters and main courses to choose from and an excellent buffet selection of deserts. The maitre d', Mario and our waiter Nicola looked after us superbly well, they were attentive, efficient and polite. All the waiters were extremely smartly turned out and could not do enough for you.

Then ....... Catastrophe ...........

On a trip to Herculaneum Mrs OldColner fell and broke her ankle (no alcohol involved!!) This could have turned a drama into a crisis - but we have to say the Italian health system did themselves proud, conveying us to a local orthopaedic hospital, where we were seen quickly and a diagnosis made. Unfortunately, this was an unstable break which would require surgery back in the UK. The Riviera rep (Adrian) organised a taxi to pick us up from the hospital and bring us back to the hotel, where we arrived about 4:00 p.m.

We arrived back at the hotel with no crutches and an unstable ankle held together in a 'backslab'. The hotel, recognising our predicament miraculously conjured up a wheelchair! What a lifesaver.

We still had two full days of our tour left, but of course we were unable to take advantage of this and missed our primary trips to both Pompeii and Vesuvius (being hotel-bound). However, this enforced confinement allowed us to take advantage of the superb roof terrace, with its magnificent panoramic views. At every juncture the hotel staff were so keen to give whatever help was needed.

Upon leaving the hotel for our journey home, Adrian had arranged 'assisted passage' for both OldColners and this continued until we were on our Airport transport bus in Manchester.

So, it only leaves us to say a big thank you to Christina, Adrian and all the staff at Cesare Augusto ........ and of course, as we missed our primary trips the OldColners will be returning to Sorrento and the Cesare Augusto in the near future.

Room Tip: 5th floor is best - facing the sea (preferably with balcony)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OldColners
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed here with Riviera Travel for just over a week in May 2014. It's a comfortable hotel, and is in the perfect location to explore Sorrento. Other couples we met had chosen hotels further up the hill, and said they had to get free shuttle buses to the town, but with the Cesare Augusto, you only need to walk for 5 minutes and your are in the heart of Sorrento!. So it was a very good choice of hotel. There is a train station quite close by, but we didn't even notice, no noise at all. It would be ideal for people without a car, as there are good bus and rail links into naples.

Sorrento is a fantastic little town, full of atmosphere. In the hotel, the Room was comfortable, and clean. The hotel staff are helpful and friendly. The food - we were on a package tour, so it was adequate, it was well cooked and well presented, though dont expect cordon bleu. We did have tinned peas served with our dinner but as I say the food was actually ok, It could have been more adventurous I guess is what im saying, this was italy after all!. The waiters are very professional. Next time I would probably not book half board, I would just have the breakfasts which are good, There are plenty of great places to eat in sorrento, to suit all budgets, its really easy and they nearly all speak english which is a great help for us English who are too lazy to learn italian. Tip - try a bottle of the La Crima Christi white wine, its grown on mt vesuvious and is a superb wine, not expensive - at home it would be five times as much.

All in all probbaly one of the optimum hotels in Sorrento for cost vs comfort vs location.

Room Tip: Garden side has a nice view of orange and lemon trees.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mark F
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed in cesare Augusto for four days , very pleasant staff , clean good sized room , close to the centre of Sorrento only a few minutes walk to the centre .
Breakfast very basic .
Would recommend this hotel .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family